+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Tries to Cut off Security Firm's Server

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by Beastly L92 The fact still remains. Macs suffer less than 1% of the infection rate of Windows, AND Apple will patch the problem, FREE for their users.
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beastly L92 View Post
    The fact still remains. Macs suffer less than 1% of the infection rate of Windows, AND Apple will patch the problem, FREE for their users.

Not write sh*tty software full of holes
    and then tell you to buy some 3rd party crapware to fix the problem THEY created, like Windows does.
    100% agree with ya there
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aristosv View Post
    Oh my god! What is the big deal! Millions of Windows computers get thousands of viruses every day and no one talks about it! ONE single virus appears for MAC and everyone acts as if the end of the world is upon us! Come on people! Get over it!
    Cause according to Apple "Macs don't get viruses", It's one of there big selling points. This is the start of that no longer being true.

600,000 trojan infections. That's like, 10% of PC's daily infections, bruh. Windows is garbage. The "Sam's Choice" of computers...
    Windows works just fine for me. Never had a virus. 90% of PC infections is people not paying attention to what they are doing.
    Use to osX users could argue, Apple builds better hardware, better OS that can't get a virus. Now Macs are built with the same CPU's, Ram etc...that window's based pc's are, the only difference is the case. So now Macs use the same hardware & get viruses also.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tabaks View Post
    I'll think about getting a PC when cows learn how to fly, btw.
    So you have a PC? Cows can learn to fly right now, unsuccessful granted, but I would assume at least 1 cow in the whole history of the world have tried to learn to fly.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The fact still remains. Macs suffer less than 1% of the infection rate of Windows, AND Apple will patch the problem, FREE for their users.

Not write sh*tty software full of holes and then tell you to buy some 3rd party crapware to fix the problem THEY created, like Windows does.

What facts?

1. 1% infection rate when Mac commands around 5% global market share vs Windows PC's. 1% of one million is a lot different than 1% of 1 billion.

2. Last time I checked, Microsoft also patches security vulnerabilities in Windows, and Windows Updates have always been free. Your point?

3. Microsoft makes their own free virus scanner, but hey, don't take my word for it: Clicky-clicky! -> http://bit.ly/IhJvEY. Come to think of it too, I don't recall Microsoft ever "telling me" to buy 3rd party anything... Must've missed that in the manual. Hmm..

Don't you have homework to do?

(Psst.. your ignorance is showing..)

Next...
    Last edited by Taranis17; 04-11-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Thanks

Lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    When will Mac users realize that they aren't as vulnerable to virus's simply because they don't have the install base of Windows? Why would a hacker, who is trying to cause the most havoc possible, go after a small (albeit growing) percentage of users?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Breezer23 View Post
    When will Mac users realize that they aren't as vulnerable to virus's simply because they don't have the install base of Windows? Why would a hacker, who is trying to cause the most havoc possible, go after a small (albeit growing) percentage of users?
    Same goes for when will people realize install base only plays a very small part in the reasoning. OS9 had the same install base or smaller and it was just as bad as Windows with actual viruses.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Taranis17 View Post

What facts?

1. 1% infection rate when Mac commands around 5% global market share vs Windows PC's. 1% of one million is a lot different than 1% of 1 billion.

2. Last time I checked, Microsoft also patches security vulnerabilities in Windows, and Windows Updates have always been free. Your point?

3. Microsoft makes their own free virus scanner, but hey, don't take my word for it: Clicky-clicky! -> http://bit.ly/IhJvEY. Come to think of it too, I don't recall Microsoft ever "telling me" to buy 3rd party anything... Must've missed that in the manual. Hmm..

Don't you have homework to do?

(Psst.. your ignorance is showing..)

Next...
    Speaking of class, you failed reading and math, huh?

Oh man. I said Apple suffers less than 1% of the infection rate of Windows. I'm not talking about total Windows viruses VS total Mac viruses. While comical as sh*t, those numbers wouldn't be fair. What I'm talking about is infection RATES. Market share aside, if you took 10,000 random Win7 PCs and 10,000 random OSX machines, the infection rate of the OSX machines would be less than 1% of their PC counterparts. I'm willing to bet that more than 50% of American Windows based machines would fail a threat/malware scan.

The fact that the 2 OSX malware threats in the last 12 months that were wide spread (600,000 lol) made headline news across the tech world and beyond says it all. It isn't news when a PC has a new Trojan. It happens everyday. Sometimes twice.

5% market share!? Yeah. In 1997. They hold over 20% of the computer market today.

Microsoft releases minimal updates only to patch MAJOR threats WHEN they update for that reason. They usually don't. It's usually for compatibility and bug fixes. As for the NEED for 3rd party malware protection, they don't say it in expressed terms. They say it when their software goes public with more holes than a goddamn screen door and no fix in sight. Play stupid, bruh. That's about your only move on this one. Only 99.99999% of people with antivirus go with a 3rd party.

Oh, I nearly forgot. Next!
    Last edited by Beastly L92; 04-12-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks

I must say you guys both bring up very good points... I especially like the one above

szr
    Thanks

I wish to point out something many people don't appear to realize that 600,000 is the number of reported infections. There are always going to be cases that are not reported or known, unless you've polled everyone single possible user, and even then, you have to consider that there are people who don't even know they are infected, and thus will also not be included in such a tally. Urgo, it's impossible to know just how many infections there really are, but with something this wide spread, the actual number is going to be higher than just the known reported case count. This is true of any malware outbreak, regardless of platform.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12