+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iCloud Now Pulling Content from Universal Pictures

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
In what amounts to another major step forward for Apple's iCloud platform, the Mac maker has struck a deal with Universal Pictures that will allow users to re-download movies through
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default iCloud Now Pulling Content from Universal Pictures

In what amounts to another major step forward for Apple's iCloud platform, the Mac maker has struck a deal with Universal Pictures that will allow users to re-download movies through the iCloud service after having first purchased them via iTunes.

With this latest development, only one major Hollywood film and television studio remains not attached to the iCloud service and that would be Fox. But as of this writing, sources close to the situation say negotiations continue between Apple and Fox to reach a deal at some point soon.

All told, it's been a pretty consequential few months for iCloud, which was originally created for the re-downloading of music, apps, and eBooks. Now the service is in hot demand as a means for re-downloading feature films and television shows at no additional cost.

As users grow increasingly more frustrated when their purchased content can be delivered to other iOS devices through iCloud, Apple is no doubt stepping on the gas to reach amicable arrangements with the power-players controlling digital rights to thousands of popular movies and TV shows.

Source: Engadget

iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Thanks

iCloud is definitely a force to be reckoned with. I knew that digital media sharing through the net verse with similar devices was on the horizon, but never this quickly.

Universal is a huge catch. Good for Apple.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

"As users grow increasingly more frustrated when their purchased content can be delivered to other iOS devices through iCloud"

Do you mean "can't" or "cannot"?
    El Zurdo

iPhone? More like MyPhone fbiryujin's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hillefied View Post
    iCloud is definitely a force to be reckoned with. I knew that digital media sharing through the net verse with similar devices was on the horizon, but never this quickly.

Once the deal with Fox is done, if Apple could cut 40-50% of the price of digitial only downloads vs their physical counterparts, then they will put a huge dent in piracy. Although they will HAVE TO do away with DRM first.
    -FBIRyuJin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fbiryujin View Post
    Once the deal with Fox is done, if Apple could cut 40-50% of the price of digitial only downloads vs their physical counterparts, then they will put a huge dent in piracy. Although they will HAVE TO do away with DRM first.
    +1

Agreed

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fbiryujin View Post
    Seriously. And make it legal to use your physical copy to make a digital version.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garrettjansen View Post
    Seriously. And make it legal to use your physical copy to make a digital version.
    That used to be legal before the DMCA
    -FBIRyuJin

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yup, noticed that the Back to the Future films are now sowing up in my iCloud library. I love how digital copies of BluRays are available and stream in 1080p on my new aTV. Very nice not having to go grab a disk and put it in.

On the other side of this coin, that new UltraViolet crap service that some studios are using instead of digital copies is for the birds! It discriminates against iOS users as we can stream that content. A-holes. I hope it fails and dies a horrible death ...

szr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garrettjansen View Post
    Actually, it is considered to be fair. Unless you've explicitly agreed to terms restricting such usage (as terms of the purchase itself, not terms displayed after the point of purchase, like most any EULAs are), then legally speaking, the copyright holder has no real right to force any extra terms upon you; instead you have an implicit license the law grants by default, as as far as I know, it says absolutely nothing about making copies for your own personal usage (it does have a say in the matter of distribution, however, and that's where the difference is.)

The overall problem with copyright law, is that it's routinely twisted around by lawyers and ignorant copyright holders, as well as corporations that intentionally mislead people and judges alike into thinking that they have more power than they really do. Much the same applies to patents in many ways too, in that both are routinely abused to high hell. The moral: know your rights, and don't allow your self to simply intimidated into submission.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asmacumber View Post
    Yup, noticed that the Back to the Future films are now sowing up in my iCloud library. I love how digital copies of BluRays are available and stream in 1080p on my new aTV. Very nice not having to go grab a disk and put it in.

On the other side of this coin, that new UltraViolet crap service that some studios are using instead of digital copies is for the birds! It discriminates against iOS users as we can stream that content. A-holes. I hope it fails and dies a horrible death ...
    Oh boy another DRM scheme. What fresh hell is this!?! I quick looked it up.
    6 accounts per household: What if a new family buys the house?
    12 devices per account: As devices get cheaper, and more types of devices come out, we will be hitting this limit quickly. Also what if the device I prefer isn't on board with this DRM scheme?

No DRM is a good DRM. Ditch DRM and watch piracy go down. Lower the prices on non-physical media as well, and watch piracy all but disappear. I never put up with DRM. It's BS. In fact the only reason I buy things from iTunes (besides apps which can't work on other devices anyway) is because I know I can use Requiem to strip the DRM. I can now watch my purchases on my XBox, my PS3, my iPad, my Linux computer (where iTunes, and iCloud still don't exist) and I can read my eBooks on my computer. (Why can't I read iBooks books on my Mac yet Apple?)

We should all get together on a petition site to end DRM.
    -FBIRyuJin

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asmacumber View Post

jailbreaking allows you to get free movies.

one more reason to jailbreak there are tons of free movies you can download even ones still in theaters sorry i cloud u suk.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    jailbreaking allows you to get free movies.

one more reason to jailbreak there are tons of free movies you can download even ones still in theaters sorry i cloud u suk.
    Jailbreaking does not specifically provide ways to stream/download movies to your iDevice. Jailbreaking was not meant for that purpose.

There are, however, certain websites that provide stream services for movies, television shows, and anime shows without the need to jailbreak.

Everyone should also remember that before iCloud, the next greatest thing is to download media on PC/Mac, convert, and put into iTunes library. Sync and be done. iCloud is more an Apple Store service to distribute purchases/personal media over all available iDevices, nothing more.

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm pretty stoked because i bought inglorious bastards and the computer that i originally downloaded it on crashed. i just checked and and I'm able to install it back on my iPhone. Freakin sweet man!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillefied View Post
    Apple is a huge catch. Good for Universal!