+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sunday Marks New Round of Growth for AT&T's 4G LTE Network

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Sunday Marks New Round of Growth for AT&T's 4G LTE Network

If you're an AT&T subscriber who resides in Texas or Indiana, this weekend will be an eagerly anticipated occasion for you.

Beginning Sunday, the nation's second largest wireless carrier says, AT&T's high-speed 4G LTE network will roll out to three new markets.

Here in corn country, Indiana will have its switch flipped in Bloomington and Muncie.

"We continue to see demand for mobile Internet skyrocket, and our 4G LTE network in Bloomington responds to what customers want from their mobile experience more, faster, on the best devices," said Brian Ducharme, vice president and general manager for AT&T Indiana and Michigan.

Meanwhile, down south, the LTE network gets the green light in Bryan-College Station, Texas. So once you cut through all the promotional rhetoric, AT&T's 4G network will be available in a grand total of 31 markets across the United States.

Although the freshly added markets aren't the biggest or most populous in the country, AT&T has been facing pressure for some time to bring the splendor of LTE to areas that, while small and rural, still contain many subscribers who want to enjoy the same wicked fast speeds familiar to big city folk.

Source: AT&T

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

AT&T is a truly mediocre company. Their 3G service in downtown Sacramento, California is spotty, weak, and not reliable. I got the new iPad with Verizon wireless which has true 4G in downtown Sac and it actually works, unlike AT&T's 3G. Oh, and LTE coming to Sac? No time schedule.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Buying an LTE device from AT&T probably isn't going to be a smart move any time within the next 10 years. Especially considering you can always take the SIM out of a Verizon LTE device and throw in an AT&T SIM for 3G speeds (which is all you're going to get anyway with AT&T over 99.9999% of the US) in those 3 square feet of the US where AT&T provides coverage and Verizon doesn't.

After the policies and decisions they've made over the last few years, I don't understand why AT&T's shareholders don't fire the entire executive board committee.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    After the policies and decisions they've made over the last few years, I don't understand why AT&T's shareholders don't fire the entire executive board committee.
    The only reason I stay with AT&T is over 10 years ago we got a contract where two phones are on the same bill and share 100 mins/month, only $30/month for talk. Of course the data plans are extra. If it weren't for that I'd drop them like a hot turd.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It took a while for my neck of the woods to get 3G, and I feel like 4G won't ever make it here. But, I don't have any 4G devices yet so I'm not too worried

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It really is region specific. It works great in some areas and less so in other areas.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    AT&T is a truly mediocre company. Their 3G service in downtown Sacramento, California is spotty, weak, and not reliable. I got the new iPad with Verizon wireless which has true 4G in downtown Sac and it actually works, unlike AT&T's 3G. Oh, and LTE coming to Sac? No time schedule.
    I agree ATT is mediocre in many areas including Sac and SF. You do have 4G using Sprint in both areas. ;-)
    I am the Vincent (Vital Information Necessary Centralized) iPhone.

When I am moody I am the Hal iPhone 9000 lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

I guess I should know this but does the greater Chicagoland area have 4G?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    I agree AT&T sucks in Marysville Yuba City area

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@PoEtickly In downtown Chicago we do have AT&T LTE, and it works sometimes unlike the 3G, though not for long I suspect. Once there's a few devices using it, it'll break down just like the HSDPA network. AT&T LTE extends out to the near suburbs, but probably not ALL of Chicagoland. Verizon, on the other hand is fantastic and seamless well into Indiana and covering all the northern and western suburbs.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

ATT's LTE in the bay area (SF area) is lighting fast ~ 20 - 30 Mb download speeds. cant wait for the ip5 LTE