Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Foxconn Cuts Work Hours for Employees Leaving Workers Worried

Thanks

Default Foxconn Cuts Work Hours for Employees Leaving Workers Worried

Factory workers at Apple’s supplier, Foxconn, reportedly seem worried after it had been announced that their hours will be cut after audits were conducted on the facilities. Workers are worried that they might not be able to make enough money to support their families.

The supplier announced on Thursday that it would reduce employee working hours to 49 hours per week including overtime. The change was one that was made in response to violations found by the Fair Labor Association, which audited Foxconn’s facilities at the request of Apple.

The FLA issued its report on Thursday revealing that it had discovered excess working times along wih various code violations at three of the Foxconn factories that were investigated. Each audit reviewed 3,000 staff hours and over 35,000 workers in total. Although the move seems like it would help solve the situation, employees are concerned that their wages will also be cut along with their hours. Working less overtime is assumed to equate to earning less money. A worker from Hunan, Chen Yamei, says that employees were told that they “can only work a maximum of 36 hours a month of overtime,” which she and many others feel is too little.

The audit came to fruition after Apple opted to join the association in January, making it the first technology company to do so. Factory conditions have become an increasingly popular issue in the media as Tim Cook himself even visited a Foxconn iPhone plant during his recent trip to China.

Source: Reuters

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought working 10 hours overtime was bad. I guess we are not good workers after all.

FLA are bunches of fags and idiots, these people doesnt know that employees working in a production plant will want more overtime hours as much they could get, now for sure people working on that factory will get less salary.... These FLA fags should instead check if the employees get the + percentage of their hourly salary to their overtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Striknine View Post
    I thought working 10 hours overtime was bad. I guess we are not good workers after all.
    The salary of the factory workers in china are base on hourly wage, more worktime = higher salary
    Last edited by Glocknine; 03-31-2012 at 06:58 AM.

Classic case of not knowing all the facts before people stick their nose in other peoples business. If the employees are not complaining leave them alone. Other countries are not like here, and even here companies take advantage of their employees. Especially now with job loss. Do more with less.

globally speaking, we're utter shite workers. one of the many reasons America is an empire in her death throws.

no one should work as much as these individuals. just because it's standard practice in china doesn't make it sickeningly wrong.

american capitalism is a terminal illness, and it's metastasized globally.
    Last edited by kddo14; 03-31-2012 at 08:07 AM.

i'm confused, I thought all this started partly because of workers complaining *about* the excessive working hours.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inappropriate response View Post
    i'm confused, I thought all this started partly because of workers complaining *about* the excessive working hours.
    +1

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

People not living and working in Asia will never understand that due to lack of jobs, and many families earning less than $1000 yearly income, people WANT TO WORK. The conditions in foreign owned businesses are WAY better than those owned by local nationals, and The West should just stay out of it.

Wtf. I work 100hr weeks when my employer is willing to pay the over time. I love the extra cash. I live in the SF bay aria. If 50hr weeks are the FLA idea of over worked they need to stfu. And I am sure building wind turbines(my job) is harder on the body then working at Foxconn.

I doubt that would be the case, on the production company that I working in there are western people who receive fix amount of monthly salary regardless of how many working hours they do, as long as there is work to do they will need to stay until their task are done. For people like those that have fix amount of monthly salary wanted to go home early and they often used the locals as their chopping board to voice what they feel (almost all of the westerner that work on the company I'm working in DOES that). To be honest there are no local citizen in China that receives hourly base rate salary that will want LESS overtime hours. Most of the time factory workers fight each other when the other gets more overtime.
    Last edited by Glocknine; 03-31-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kddo14 View Post
    globally speaking, we're utter shite workers. one of the many reasons America is an empire in her death throws.

no one should work as much as these individuals. just because it's standard practice in china doesn't make it sickeningly wrong.

american capitalism is a terminal illness, and it's metastasized globally.
    If you work less then "these individuals" you are either lucky or lazy beyond belief. The job they do is not hard physical labor and 50hr weeks are easy and short. Plus they get to live on site so no commute time. People like me whole build America often work hours away from home doing hard labor for over 100 hrs a week. Have you no understanding of how real work is done? You think power plants and refineries are built on a 40hr work schedule? Have you done one days honest work in your life?
    If anything the FLA should look at the wage/hr. the number of hours a person workes is a personal choice.
    I work hard and I get payed well. I use some of the money to buy lots of apple products that support the family's of Foxconn workers. That is American capitalism at its best.
    Last edited by nicrfe; 03-31-2012 at 10:04 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drummer10630 View Post
    People not living and working in Asia will never understand that due to lack of jobs, and many families earning less than $1000 yearly income, people WANT TO WORK. The conditions in foreign owned businesses are WAY better than those owned by local nationals, and The West should just stay out of it.
    +1

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drummer10630 View Post
    OMG $1000/year where i can buy?? i need a lot of work done around my house.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    OMG $1000/year where i can buy?? i need a lot of work done around my house.
    Lol your to much

Nowhere in past articles was it ever mentioned that people complained about the working hours. These people WANT the overtime. But the FLA thinks it's inhuman or something.

Foxconn is a really good place to work for these people. Or else why would there be lines waiting outside to get in?

You see, now the workers will begin to regret saying all that sh!t to the FLA about how "terrible" they are at Foxconn. Believe me, even people that have it good in the US will complain in one way or another when asked about how their work conditions are. Now, these people will regret it. They don't know how good they have it until they lose it to one of the thousands waiting outside to work.

So now it's simple. Instead of paying one worker 12 hours of work, they'll simply pay 2 workers 6 hours of work. It'll actually save Foxconn money because there's no (or less) OT pay. But to the workers, it'll be less pay and less money for their family. The next time the FLA comes around, these workers will probably tell them to FCUK OFF!
    Last edited by RyoSaeba; 03-31-2012 at 11:13 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

They are now following the law of the land, which is set for a reason and may I add quite a bit more relaxed than most countries regarding overtime. Having problem with that? Can't produce your iDevice fast enough for your liking? A few people complain and it somehow make FLA the bad guy? You guys have no problem when Apple use living condition of the land to show that the workers living condition is acceptable, now when they are forced to follow the law of the land regarding overtime you have problem with that? Use a few people complain about cut in overtime as a weapon now?

Foxconn employee gets paid more than other companies with similar job, so they are getting paid more than others and working same hours. If the money is unacceptable for you when your employer follow the law, maybe it is time for you to change job. Let me remind you all America had similar problem before labor laws were created and enforced.
    Last edited by unison999; 04-01-2012 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    They are now following the law of the land, which is set for a reason and may I add quite a bit more relaxed than most countries regarding overtime. Having problem with that? Can't produce your iDevice fast enough for your liking? A few people complain and it somehow make FLA the bad guy? You guys have no problem when Apple use living condition of the land to show that the workers living condition is acceptable, now when they are forced to follow the law of the land regarding overtime you now have problem? Now use a few people complain about cut in overtime as a weapon?

Foxconn employee gets paid more than other companies with similar job, so they are getting paid more than others and working same hours. If the money is unacceptable for you when your employer follow the law, maybe it is time for you to change job. Let me remind you all America had similar problem before labor laws were created and enforced.
    Lol, more relaxed them most countries? People work way more then 50hrs a week around the globe. Maybe not in your field (assuming you have a field in witch you work) but in production jobs 50hrs just doesn't cut it.
    Bottem line is if you are not willing to do the job 100hrs a week or more you just aren't willing to do the job.
    Stop pressing your ideal on real workers trying to provide food for there familes.

@unison999: In this case, yes, the FLA is the bad guy. The workers welcome the OT. In China, there's not a lot of places that pays you for OT. They pay OT as time off so you'll never have extra money in your pocket. Just extra days off, when the company allows you of course.

Now, because of the FLA involvement, these workers will be forced to get paid less and they have no way to make up for that loss! Foxconn will simply hire more people to cover the lost hours without paying OT! It's a win for Foxconn and a loss for the workers. But I guess the FLA didn't thought about that as they thought they were helping the workers.

Just to add, if you think Foxconn will raise their salary again, forget it. There are other countries that are willing to work for less. When the salary hits a certain point, they'll simply be forced to relocate to another country. Then all te million workers the FLA is trying to help will be jobless! Thanks FLA!
    Last edited by RyoSaeba; 04-01-2012 at 06:04 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

I guess complaining doesn't always work out.
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    +1
    +1

+1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast