+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Chief Tim Cook Goes Inside the Walls of Foxconn

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Chief Tim Cook Goes Inside the Walls of Foxconn

As MMi has reported throughout the week, Apple CEO Tim Cook has been in China since Monday on a prolonged venture that has proven fruitful in no shortage of ways. In addition to meeting with leading wireless carriers in the region and checking out Apple's retail presence first hand, Cook also set foot inside the walls of Foxconn - the sprawling and often controversial facility where millions of Apple's mobile products are produced.

Cook was photographed at the iPhone production line at a Foxconn plant in Zhengzhou, China. He even suited-up for the adventure, donning a yellow worker jumpsuit and walking in the footsteps of those who manufacture our beloved iDevices.

Of course, Cook wasn't at Foxconn merely for exploratory purposes. This was a PR event in almost every way imaginable. “Apple has had a string of negative publicity this year with Foxconn factory issues,” Mark Natkin, managing director of Marbridge Consulting Ltd., tells Bloomberg. “Apple is trying to demonstrate how seriously they take these issues, and how strong their commitment is to China.”
    Apple, which contracts Foxconn to make its iPhones and iPads, became the first technology company to join the Fair Labor Association in January, opening up suppliers’ factories to inspections by the Washington-based group after complaints by human rights organizations. The group found “tons of issues,” while also seeing “dramatic” improvements, FLA Chief Executive Officer Auret van Heerden said last month.
    A rep for Apple would only confirm late Wednesday that Cook was at Foxconn and remains in China as of this writing. However, no further insight was given into how much longer the visit would last or what other meetings are planned for the duration of Cook's unexpected visit.

Source: Bloomberg

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Did he enjoy all the child labor in use? How about the dorms, did he go there too? Did he give them plenty of time to prepare and hide stuff. Let them lead him on a predefined tour? This is nothing more than a ploy to make Apple's image look better, he nor any other company cares about the working conditions as long as they can save that extra 10 cents of production cost.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Did he enjoy all the child labor in use? How about the dorms, did he go there too? Did he give them plenty of time to prepare and hide stuff. Let them lead him on a predefined tour? This is nothing more than a ploy to make Apple's image look better, he nor any other company cares about the working conditions as long as they can save that extra 10 cents of production cost.
    As long as people get their iDevices at a cheaper price you won't see anyone else caring either. Oh well

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post

Where's your proof? We already know that the working conditions are not like what we have over here, but you can't compare the two, we're two completely different countries! This news is getting really old and has gone a lot farther than it should. We know that the workers over there freely choose to work at the factory, no one is forcing them. Their living conditions are better than if they weren't employed. Most want to work more hours to earn more money to help out their families. Apple doesn't need to make their image look better by visiting Foxconn because they have no control over the way Foxconn treats their employees. Sure Apple can ask them to make changes and if Foxconn decides to change then that's their choice, but Apple can't force them to do anything. Not to mention that Apple only makes up like 40% of the factory, Samsung, Sony and other companies make up the rest. You only hear about Apple because they're coming out with all the big products, just like Nike back in the day.

So you can go over there and make their working/living conditions better if you really believe that its that bad...but you'd just be wasting your time. Hopefully in the next few years their labor laws will start progressing to something better, but for now that's just the way it works over there.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default really?
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post

Where's your proof? We already know that the working conditions are not like what we have over here, but you can't compare the two, we're two completely different countries! This news is getting really old and has gone a lot farther than it should. We know that the workers over there freely choose to work at the factory, no one is forcing them. Their living conditions are better than if they weren't employed. Most want to work more hours to earn more money to help out their families. Apple doesn't need to make their image look better by visiting Foxconn because they have no control over the way Foxconn treats their employees. Sure Apple can ask them to make changes and if Foxconn decides to change then that's their choice, but Apple can't force them to do anything. Not to mention that Apple only makes up like 40% of the factory, Samsung, Sony and other companies make up the rest. You only hear about Apple because they're coming out with all the big products, just like Nike back in the day.

So you can go over there and make their working/living conditions better if you really believe that its that bad...but you'd just be wasting your time. Hopefully in the next few years their labor laws will start progressing to something better, but for now that's just the way it works over there.

Its been well documented on television and on this site. The proof is in the pudding. I could care less. Whip em to death, as long as I get my product on time and in perfect condition, but don't sit there and get all grumble like and demand proof. It has already been proven you stupid git.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spazmonic View Post
    Its been well documented on television and on this site. The proof is in the pudding. I could care less. Whip em to death, as long as I get my product on time and in perfect condition, but don't sit there and get all grumble like and demand proof. It has already been proven you stupid git.
    Nice name calling...very mature....I know what's been said in the media, but it's the MEDIA, they over exaggerate! Just look at Mike Daisey and his statements on the Foxconn working conditions, the one's that he retracted cause he never saw anything like what he said was going on there. They've blown this way out of proportion, they just want something to accuse one of the biggest tech giants in the world of doing something wrong. So like I said in my post that you obviously didn't understand or just chose not to, it has nothing to do with Apple, it has everything to do with Foxconn and the country they're in! Like I also mentioned in my post the working conditions aren't the best, they could be better but at this point in time that's the way things work over there. Just because the media says something doesn't make it true...or do you believe everything that the news spoon feeds you?

My whole point is that it's not Apple that's behind the working conditions at Foxconn. If that were the case then it would also be Samsung's, Sony's, LG's, and the other companies that get their products made in the factory. When I asked for proof I meant where's the proof that it's solely Apple's fault? That person either doesn't like Apple or doesn't fully understand the situation. I'm leaning towards the idea that he just doesn't like Apple which is why I asked that question. So if you can prove to me that it's Apple that's behind all of it then I will gladly recant my post!
    Last edited by steve-z17; 03-29-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Most of you Have only lived first class lives in first world countries you have never visited third world countries and ever seen the conditions. You obviously didn't notice the fact that over 10000 people try I work at Foxconn because it's better then the rest of china!! You guys say child labor!!? Umm that's a first world problem in china life's different. Working at a factory for kids is better then at home most times

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Nice name calling...very mature....I know what's been said in the media, but it's the MEDIA, they over exaggerate! Just look at Mike Daisey and his statements on the Foxconn working conditions, the one's that he retracted cause he never saw anything like what he said was going on there. They've blown this way out of proportion, they just want something to accuse one of the biggest tech giants in the world of doing something wrong. So like I said in my post that you obviously didn't understand or just chose not to, it has nothing to do with Apple, it has everything to do with Foxconn and the country they're in! Like I also mentioned in my post the working conditions aren't the best, they could be better but at this point in time that's the way things work over there. Just because the media says something doesn't make it true...or do you believe everything that the news spoon feeds you?

My whole point is that it's not Apple that's behind the working conditions at Foxconn. If that were the case then it would also be Samsung's, Sony's, LG's, and the other companies that get their products made in the factory. When I asked for proof I meant where's the proof that it's solely Apple's fault? That person either doesn't like Apple or doesn't fully understand the situation. I'm leaning towards the idea that he just doesn't like Apple which is why I asked that question. So if you can prove to me that it's Apple that's behind all of it then I will gladly recant my post!
    Somebody's sounding republican! Lol
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

Thanks
    Expensive selling in China but produced in China,it is so...