+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 83-Year Old Woman Walks Into Glass Door, Sues Apple

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by manickbarry But you still ran into a door!!! Quite silly and you got paid for it you are what's wrong with this world pmsl natural selection trying
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manickbarry View Post
    But you still ran into a door!!! Quite silly and you got paid for it you are what's wrong with this world pmsl natural selection trying its hardest to set things right.
    I was 14 and at school, teenagers run around, it's a fact, the door shouldn't be broken should it, i'm quite happy to sit here and get paid for breaking my nose at the fault of my educational establishment, it got me through my first year of university. And also it was pretty funny, I got my fair share of abuse from my mates for it don't you worry :P

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Here is the thing i have been to this store and i just taught about it the entire front of this store is glass. How did she manage to find that place where the door was to then walk into it. Just saying it would have sounded more believable if she walked into the glass wall itself.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheBeastSS2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tenspeed123 View Post
    I was 14 and at school, teenagers run around, it's a fact, the door shouldn't be broken should it, i'm quite happy to sit here and get paid for breaking my nose at the fault of my educational establishment, it got me through my first year of university. And also it was pretty funny, I got my fair share of abuse from my mates for it don't you worry :P
    the door was probably broken from people like you trying to run through it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeastSS2 View Post
    right I'm ignorant and you ran into a door. idiot. I don't give a f where you live. It is people like YOU with frivolous lawsuits that make this and ANY country get a bad rap. Also why would you RUN into a doorway that you had push to open. Sounds to me like you got what you deserved for acting like an ***.
    Pushed door with great momentum, didn't open, **** happened. How does that give a country a bad rap? Plus how do you know I don't suffer from dyspraxia or serious visual impairment? You don't you're just assumed I'm an idiot, THAT's what gives countries a bad name, when douches like you come along and slate people without knowing the full story. Typical yank keyboard warrior...

Thanks

Pushed door with great momentum, didn't open, **** happened. How does that give a country a bad rap? Plus how do you know I don't suffer from dyspraxia or serious visual impairment? You don't you're just assumed I'm an idiot, THAT's what gives countries a bad name, when douches like you come along and slate people without knowing the full story. Typical yank keyboard warrior...
    the door not opening is not what gives a country a bad rap. people SUING because of it IS. Someone who get fat from eating big mac's at mcdonalds and then sues mcdonalds for them getting fat. Someone who spills a cup of hot coffee in there lap while driving and suing the establishment that sold them the hot coffee. A burglar who falls through the skylight of someone's house and breaks his legs, and sues the homeowners for medical costs. You were a kid and i understand kids do silly things, but it was YOUR FAULT. Next, if you suffer from "dyspraxia or serious visual impairment" then you probably shouldn't be running anywhere. and Finally I'm from Texas, I'm not a damn yankee. As far as the keyboard warrior..give me a break, we live in different countries, i obviously can't talk to you face to face, but if we could...i would still tell it to you like it is.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes I believe her story, because it happened to me once, my vision is very good and I am middle of 40s, i walked thru and hit my head to the Apple glass door, ithe door was so clear, the difference was I did not sue Apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Plus how do you know I don't suffer from dyspraxia or serious visual impairment?
    You'd probably have said so. Most would to illustrate a point. You obviously didn't intend it to come across badly but your post most certainly did.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cuti86 View Post
    Yes I believe her story, because it happened to me once, my vision is very good and I am middle of 40s, i walked thru and hit my head to the Apple glass door, ithe door was so clear, the difference was I did not sue Apple.
    its not always about having good vision though. i would say a majority of the time MOST people are simply just not paying attention to where they are walking. I have seen it so many times, people walking around in a mall staring at their cell phone and bump into somebody or something. I don't know what your apple store looks like (and I'm not being sarcastic here) but at our apple store..behind the glass walls at the store fronts are giant props such as huge iPhones, and huge iPads..basically large displays for people on the outside to be able to clearly see, and draw them to come in. And the only obvious place to enter the store would be the door that is already open. Like I said before, and I'm not accusing YOU of this, but I would say the majority of time that people run into a glass wall, its not because it was just so clean that you couldn't tell, but because they weren't paying attention, probably looking at their phone, and looked up when they thought they were walking into the store and instead hit a wall.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

$75,000 in medical expenses!?!?! WTF! How fast was this old women walking? I bet Apple is like "I'm sorry for keeping our store clean, go away"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You sir, are absolutely retarded.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Frankly this is a daft lawsuit and should be thrown out by any reasonable judge. I whacked my head off a window I didn't see in a hotel and didn't sue them. My own stupidity. It's just as its apple and people see // signs as its a big company and think its okay to sue. As for the flame war going on in this thread please stop it, as a physician i can say dyspraxia is going to make you walk into a glass door as much as it's equally liable to make you walk into a regular door. And litigation for litigations sake is wrong in any country. If the elderly lady was hurt then yes it's reasonable to cover medical costs but to sue for thousands of dollars is just crazy.
    Just my opinion

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Have you ever heard of personal responsibility? Not everything is some one else's fault. I thought that only us yanks were sue happy assholes. Apparently you Brits are now as well.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Obviously enough people walked into the glass door for Apple to put up the white stickers on their doors, so plenty of people do not see that glass door let alone a 85 years old woman.
    As to assuming the woman walking fast to break her nose obviously have no elderly woman in their life, because most of us know majority of older woman suffer from Osteoporosis which means bones break easily.

All these people blame greed on the old woman, yet nobody complained about the lawyer. Have you guys ever heard of the term ambulance chasers? That is more likely what happened here, lawyer heard about this woman and went to her to get the lawsuit going. Most likely lawyer promised her a large sum for the injury, she said ok just like anyone that byotched about her in this thread would do. People complain about American greed when you see frivolous lawsuit, but when it is your time to get the money it then becomes your right to receive the money...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
    Frankly this is a daft lawsuit and should be thrown out by any reasonable judge. I whacked my head off a window I didn't see in a hotel and didn't sue them. My own stupidity. It's just as its apple and people see // signs as its a big company and think its okay to sue. As for the flame war going on in this thread please stop it, as a physician i can say dyspraxia is going to make you walk into a glass door as much as it's equally liable to make you walk into a regular door. And litigation for litigations sake is wrong in any country. If the elderly lady was hurt then yes it's reasonable to cover medical costs but to sue for thousands of dollars is just crazy.
    Just my opinion
    I respect your opinion, and have no problem ceasing the arguments. I understand that everyone is more sensitive when it comes to elderly people and children, and rightfully so...but the fact of the matter is that it was her fault and NO COMPANY, not just Apple, should be liable for such claims. If I am crossing the street at a crosswalk, trip over my own feet, fall down and break an arm trying to catch my fall, should I sue the city? At some point people have to take responsibility for their own actions. I feel badly for her breaking her nose, and never like to see anyone get hurt, but its just like you said in your post, you hit your head on a window in a hotel that you didn't see. I think it is fair to say that you weren't paying attention correct? Look at it this way, if somebody gets in a car accident because they were texting while driving, and God forbid they hurt themselves seriously, should that person sue the manufacturer of that phone or sue the car maker, or the driver of the other car? Take responsibility for your actions.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

I was laughing at that video so hard when I saw it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Or better yet spilled a McDonalds coffee in her lap..hahahaha! Human error does not constitute lawsuits for erroneous amounts of $$.

I suggest taking an actual look at the McDonalds Coffee case. It is not what people automatically think about it. And the woman in that case was only asking for medical to be paid nothing more but the jury gave her more. I don't have the link anymore but find it and look at the actual case and what they found wrong on McDonalds for that.

Thanks

Dude, glass reflects stuff when there's sunlight. If you can't see that, then you have a vision impairment. I hope they take her drivers license away because I don't want this woman to hit me on the road and then claim she couldn't see my car because it's painted white. Dumb broad.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    You'd probably have said so. Most would to illustrate a point. You obviously didn't intend it to come across badly but your post most certainly did.
    You're right I was only commenting on a past experience of mine to add to the conversation and then got abused for it... I was not the one who sued, my parents did because they thought it was necessary!
    To the other guy having a go at me, I don't think the insurer of a school would have accepted liability within 2 days of receiving the claim, they admitted instantly that they were in the wrong and the whole thing was settled within a few months... I know it was fairly dumb to run into a door but when you expect it to open when you push it and it doesn't, well, bad things happen... I'd have laughed at myself had my nose not been spread across my face! I think just because of I did this it's not right of you to say I'm what's wrong with the world!

Thanks

Only in the US...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Oh how I wish that was my grandma!

Me: Grandma what did you get me for christmas?
    Grandma: The iPad 3, and a macbook pro with a $1000 appstore gift card