Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Retina Display MacBooks to Possibly Release this Summer

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Retina Display MacBooks to Possibly Release this Summer

According to a source who spoke to the folks over at Ars Technica, double-resolution icons were found in “unexpected places” of the Mountain Lion OS. This leads to the suggestion of Apple possibly releasing Retina display MacBooks as early as this summer.

One of the double-resolution icons that was found was in the new Messages application. Some of the icons found were displaying at twice their normal size. Their appearance in the latest build of Mountain Build led the source to suggest that new MacBooks equipped with Retina displays could appear as soon as this summer and coincide with the release of Mac OS X 10.8.

The evidence of Retina display Macs began to arise in February when Apple released OS X 10.7.3 with new high-DPI user interface elements. More specifically, a number of cursors in the operating system were updated to scale to larger sizes on higher resolution screens. The Cupertino California company added HiDPI modes to OS X Lion last year but they were only accessible through Xcode. HiDPI is modeled after the UI resolution doubling that Apple does with its Retina display iOS devices.

The rumors of Apple preparing new iterations of its MacBook Pro lineup with double-resolution displays began to arise last year. The resulting display for a 15-inch MacBook Pro would be 2,880 by 1,800 pixels. The support for the higher resolution Macs will probably come with Intel’s net-generation Ivy Bridge processors. It is said that the Ivy Bridge processors will support up to the 4K resolution, allowing 4,096 by 4,096 pixels per monitor.

Source: Ars Technica

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Is that kind of resolution really necessary on a laptop? I can understand the iPhone needing it because of its screen size....but even with the new iPad with a 10" screen people are having a hard time noticing the difference between the original display and the new retina display. This makes me think that it would be even harder to tell the difference between a traditional MB display and a retina MB.

Not to mention the MacBooks already have a higher resolution option that is MORE than sufficient for picture/video editing and general usage and would make spotting the difference that much more difficult.
    Last edited by RICO_; 03-23-2012 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Is that kind of resolution really necessary on a laptop? I can understand the iPhone needing it because of its screen size....but even with the new iPad with a 10" screen people are having a hard time noticing the difference between the original display and the new retina display. This makes me think that it would be even harder to tell the difference between a traditional MB display and a retina MB.

Not to mention the MacBooks already have a higher resolution option that is MORE than sufficient for picture/video editing and general usage and would make spotting the difference that much more difficult.
    I'm typing from a 13" MacBook Pro (Late 2011), and the resolution is 1200x800. I'd say it's just barely sufficient, considering the competitor's options in this day and age.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Talking Agreed!
    Quote Originally Posted by somethingblue View Post
    I'm typing from a 13" MacBook Pro (Late 2011), and the resolution is 1200x800. I'd say it's just barely sufficient, considering the competitor's options in this day and age.
    I agree. I have an iPhone 4, and a MacBook Air, and I can't help asking myself, why does my computer have a worse display than my phone. It just doesn't make any sense, and just plain sucks for photo/video editing. All while everyone's been focusing on smartphones, the good old laptop has been left behind, and even the desktop too. It's time to change this trend.

We also need a new HDTV standard down the road, because screens are only getting bigger, and on a 50" HDTV even 1080p starts to look a bit pixelated. Let the screen resolution revolution begin

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

There was a time when computer displays out-resed tvs. The tables quickly turned. Retina is the computer's chance to retake resolution throne. My take is- if my tv can do 1080p, I want to edit in at LEAST that many pixels. Preferably, double that amount.

oh ,my retina!! I think that is a rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by somethingblue View Post
    Are you serious? My 2011 13inch screen is perfect. Then again, so is the resolution on my I pad 2.

Thanks

It won't happen because there are no wallpapers that size.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm going to have to buy a new MacBook Pro soon as mine is falling apart (late 2008 model, wifi doesn't work anymore, display hinge is busted, still running on OS X 10.6). I think a retina display + OS X 10.8 on it would be enough to get me to upgrade to a new one!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgunaca View Post
    I'm going to have to buy a new MacBook Pro soon as mine is falling apart (late 2008 model, wifi doesn't work anymore, display hinge is busted, still running on OS X 10.6). I think a retina display + OS X 10.8 on it would be enough to get me to upgrade to a new one!
    Same! I have a terrible battery problem...been through 4 replacements since 08.

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgunaca View Post
    Sounds to me like you have a terrible wife and instead of going to prison, you beat the laptop.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

I got the late 2011 MacBook 15"...I really don't think retina display is gonna impact it that much. It already has a high resolution..the human eye can only see so much display (especially me with glasses lol)
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

The oy reason I think everyone had a hard time was because everyone was using their iPhones. Not to mention everyone came out of an apple store (retina devices) if you look at an iPad 2 long enough. New iPad will look great.