+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Forbids Employees From Using Company Funds to Buy Apple Products

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Microsoft Forbids Employees From Using Company Funds to Buy Apple Products

Microsoft is reportedly restricting employees from purchasing Apple products with company funds.

According to an internal email Mary-Jo Foley of ZDNet got her hands on Microsoft's Sales, Marketing, Services, IT and Operations Group (SMSG) are now banned from purchasing Apple products of any kind with company funds.

Within SMSG we are putting in place a new policy that says that Apple products (Mac & iPad) should not be purchased with company funds.

In the US we will be turning off the Apple products from the Zones Catalog next week, which is the standard purchasing mechanism for these products.

Outside of the US ó we will work with your finance and procurement teams to send the right message and put the right processes in place.
    Microsoft's chief financial officer of SMSG, Alain Crozier, sent the email three days before the new iPad launched. The policy makes sense, but, Microsoft does maintain a Mac development team. Although, I assume they donít fall under the same scrutiny as those employed in the SMSG. But, SMSG does include roughly 40,000 employees of Microsoftís worldwide work force equating to roughly 45% of those employed. So it is a significant amount of Microsoft employees, especially those who deal with potential customers. definitely not a good look if your sales team is pitching your products using Apple's products.

The practice isnít new (they already prohibit expensing BlackBerries and iPhones), and likely wonít prevent those really wanting Apple products from purchasing them. And honestly, with how well Windows 8 is turning out, they might in fact be happy Microsoft provides employees with Windows-based mobile phones.

Source: ZDNet [via MacRumors]

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Good call Microsoft. Take that Apple!!!

This will show em!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

Ooooooooo Apple is sooo scared lol

I think the iPhone is Apples best product hands down. I love the iCloud integration of its services like calendar and backup. I use those for my business because it syncs so well. I tried macs for the company but it's just no that compatible with things and they are so expensive. I'm scared they will get broken because they are so heavy. No point in using a duel boot into windows. If I want to use windows I'll just go with a Sony or something.
    Last edited by Agent929; 03-21-2012 at 01:16 AM.
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

this is lame it's not like microsoft makes tablets and phones. ohh wait.. they did/do. the kin was there first phone and it was a failure. they also had a product called zune, which was a video player.. which was also a failure.

but i do understand. when i was visiting hynix a few years ago.. their employees were forbidden to have any sony products.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drenline View Post
    Good call Microsoft. Take that Apple!!!

This will show em!
    LOL I heard it's because they just can't afford it. They switched to used Dells.

The practice isn’t new (they already prohibit expensing BlackBerries and iPhones), and likely won’t prevent those really wanting Apple products from purchasing them.
    Our MS rep at my work said she got rid of her iPhone because it's REALLY frowned upon, also don't you dare say "Let me Google that".
    Last edited by Norb; 03-21-2012 at 01:58 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Are their salaries considered "Microsoft funds"? Lol, I mean, all of their money does come from Microsoft!

But this really does make sense, this is in no way shocking.....If i was running Microsoft i would do the same thing. Of course Microsoft does not want to help contribute to Apples success.
    El Zurdo

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

zZzZzZz... Purchasing an Apple product is one thing.. but when you must tell your workforce they cannot buy apple that shows more then any words, how there product actually is. Like i said words can only go so far yet actions speak louder. Dont back your self into a corner. I know apple employees that use PC over Mac.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Kind of makes sense. I am sure Apple has similar clauses about Microsoft and Android devices.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This makes perfect sense, surprised it took so long for them to make it into policy...
    If their employees needs something regarding tech, they have the resources to make and develop it.
    If something do not work well, then fix it instead of buying competition product.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

To me, this shows that Microsoft is scared by Apple making better products. After all, if the Windows based product was better, wouldn't these people be buying them with company funds rather than wanting Apple products?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    To me, this shows that Microsoft is scared by Apple making better products. After all, if the Windows based product was better, wouldn't these people be buying them with company funds rather than wanting Apple products?

I've seen plenty of people buy buys Apple stuff just because they think expensive = good.
    In similar thought: I've seen plenty of people install Windows on their Apple computers, does that make Windows better because they need to us Windows OS on their Apple product?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    I know apple employees that use PC over Mac.
    probably for gaming. I have an iMac, a MacBook pro, and I just built a gaming PC. I love my macs, but the gaming world is changing so fast that you need something upgradeable. So the pc does the gaming and the Macs do EVERYTHING else. (all the REAL work)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Is this really a surprise? I guarantee that there are similar policies in place at Apple. The ONLY exception to this rule (if it were my company) would be when purchasing a product for comparison testing, or when you are developing a product (Office for Mac) for a competitor's device/OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    probably for gaming. I have an iMac, a MacBook pro, and I just built a gaming PC. I love my macs, but the gaming world is changing so fast that you need something upgradeable. So the pc does the gaming and the Macs do EVERYTHING else. (all the REAL work)
    The gaming world isn't demanding as swift of an upgrade schedule as it used to. Also, Mac support is starting to increase dramatically in the gaming scene.

I will admit though, I only own a MacMini, and "i" products other than iMac. My daily-use computer is a Sony Vaio F-series laptop. I get all the power of a MacBook Pro, with all the gaming of a PC. I needed something that could handle Graphic design and play games once in a while.

Saving $1,200 helped.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    Are their salaries considered "Microsoft funds"? Lol, I mean, all of their money does come from Microsoft!

But this really does make sense, this is in no way shocking.....If i was running Microsoft i would do the same thing. Of course Microsoft does not want to help contribute to Apples success.
    yea. no company wants to help contribute to its opponents. so it makes sense.
    I can't stop laughing!