+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Western Digital Prices My Book Thunderbolt Duo Storage Systems

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Western Digital Prices My Book Thunderbolt Duo Storage Systems

Western Digital finally announced pricing and availability for their My Book Thunderbolt Duo storage systems.

The My Book Thunderbolt Duo systems — first announced at Macworld 2012 — contain two hard drives in a RAID configuration (0,1, JBOD options) within a single enclosure allowing for storage capacities up to 6TB. The systems can be daisy chained together via Thunderbolt (two ports on each enclosure) to create a single blazing fast logical drive. The drives are user-serviceable too, which means you can upgrade the hard-drives if you need more speed or capacity or swap out defective drives without sacrificing the entire enclosure.

However, the new Thunderbolt capable My Book Duo’s demand a $200 premium over non-Thunderbolt options. The pricing for the 4TB enclosure is $599.99, and the 6TB enclosure is $699.99 and both are available now online. While the price premium does seem a little steep, the potential performance increase by daisy chaining a few of these drives together is incredible, especially compared to business solutions that can cost somewhere in the realm of $10,000 for similar setups.

These drives won’t replace enterprise and business server solutions, but for performance hungry independent video editors and producers, the benefit of having a high performance raid-array for under $3,000 isn’t too shabby. Still, as the number of Thunderbolt capable accessories (especially storage solutions) increases prices will hopefully begin to reflect the competition in the marketplace.

Source: MacRumors

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I got a 3 TB external from WD for 200$ at best buy....

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ventodivino View Post
    I got a 3 TB external from WD for 200$ at best buy....
    But is it thunderbolt? Doubtful

Thanks

Cool I'm going to get this, then throw out the POS western digital/maxtor crash happy hdds and place some nice reliable seagate drives in it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

GAH if only I could afford this stuff. Just bought a new MBA and drained my bank. Sure wish I could utilize the thunderbolt port though. Maybe when it's not so "new" and the prices drop I will...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen711 View Post
    But is it thunderbolt? Doubtful
    Who needs thunderbolt , I got all the time in the world lol