+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple TV Teardown Reveals Single-Core A5 Processor and More RAM

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
The new Apple TV didn’t quite get the server-crashing amount of attention the iPad 3 did during its iFixit teardown, but an XBMC forum member's teardown produced some interesting findings.
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple TV Teardown Reveals Single-Core A5 Processor and More RAM

The new Apple TV didn’t quite get the server-crashing amount of attention the iPad 3 did during its iFixit teardown, but an XBMC forum member's teardown produced some interesting findings.

The Apple TV utilizes a a simple single-core A5 system on a chip processor. The chip comes complete with the familiar A5 stamp, but lacks the dual-core power of the chips found in Apple’s iPhone 4S and iPad 2. The chip in the teardown was also manufactured during the seventh week in 2012.

The upgraded processor is accompanied by an increase in RAM from 256 MB to a 512 MB Hynix chip. As far as on board storage the new Apple TV houses a meager 8GB of Toshiba flash memory, the same as the previous model. However, Apple intends for consumers to use the device as a streaming-video solution, accounting for the small allotment. Also, the lack of storage indicates Apple likely doesn’t plan on opening up the Apple TV to developers like its iOS brethren. The new Apple TV includes a second antenna compared to the older model, but not much is known about how the device is actually utilizing this additional antenna.

Hopefully with the release of the rumored Apple HDTV, a proper Apple TV App Store or compatible apps will eventually be realized. The current Apple TV Jailbreak is fun, but with a limited amount of space, it’s functionality is greatly inhibited. If and when the Apple HDTV comes out, my mind can only scratch the surface of the jailbreak possibilities.

Source: MacRumors

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

So nothing too new, I still love the size of it though!

RSL 4 THE WIN!!

Thanks

[QUOTE=steve-z17;6454416]So nothing too new, I still love the size of it though!

Yeah I just hope that jailbreak comes sooner than later.... I want effing XBMC on it.

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

<--- Still haven't got mine, stupid UPS!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Eagerly waiting a jailbreak on this thing. As it stands, it is just about useless to me, much more so than any other non-JB'd I device!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can't wait for the jb---I need XBMC---as it plays now it is pointless

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'll be waiting till the jailbreak is out for xbmc, without it it's useless I agree

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zerolimit View Post
    I'll be waiting till the jailbreak is out for xbmc, without it it's useless I agree
    I agree also...cant wait for it though

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The Apple TV utilizes a a simple single-core A5 system on a chip processor. The chip comes complete with the familiar A5 stamp, but lacks the dual-core power of the chips found in Apple’s iPhone 4S and iPad 2.

Is a single-core A5 chip still an A5 chip? I mean a quad core A5 chip becomes an A5X chip...