+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is This The Beginning of The End for The MacBook Pro?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Is This The Beginning of The End for The MacBook Pro?

There is substantial talk this week of Apple possibly discontinuing the MacBook Pro later this spring as speculation about a new - and larger - 15-inch MacBook Air reaches a fever pitch.

This week, a source close to Mac accessory production leaked information at the CU Exposed show. He maintains that Apple is poised to introduce its refreshed MacBook Air in April. The unnamed source went on to say only that the notebook wouldn't differ greatly from other MacBook Air models. It would deliver ports on both sides and, according to the source, no optical drive or Ethernet port.

"To that end," Electricpig reports, "our source’s company’s got its manufacturers on standby to be able to make and ship a new product lineup inside of 90 days."

A lot of this makes sense. Apple’s been trying to phase out the optical disc drive for a while now, with the help of iCloud, the Mac App Store and the continued use of the phrase ‘post-PC’. Get rid of that and – aside from screen estate – the MacBook Pro really won’t stand to offer much in the way of a USP in the coming years. That’s especially so if the Airs get suitably more powerful.
    The vendor at the center of this rumor believes that the MacBook Pro - as we presently know it - will be phased out for the "average customer." Apple could, however, still retain the "pro" name, but only for use with the grandaddy of all models - Apple's beautiful 17-inch monstrosity.

Source: Electricpig, Apple Insider

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

Idk. Phase out the optical drive? Cds will always be around. A lot of people still use other programs

Thanks

get external drive

iPhone? More like MyPhone Doran's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Idk. Phase out the optical drive? Cds will always be around. A lot of people still use other programs
    I wouldn't be so sure of that. What ever music you can buy on disc these days you can get as a digital download from somewhere. This is when we realize that data is going to be the medium in which companies get rich by charging ridiculous rates for it. When cell phones first came out, people would pay up to $1 a minute to use one. Now you can call anyone anywhere in the US for free. Hopefully data will be free for a flat price one day (again).

Thanks

Definitely get rid of the ODD! It simply isn't needed in an OS X environment. The bigger problem is that of a decent graphics chip to go into the new MBPs. I can very well see a line of Macbook Airs (11, 13 and 15 inches) with integrated Intel graphics and discreet graphics solutions only being offered in the 17" model which would be the only one keeping the 'PRO' designation.

iPhone? More like MyPhone carlbgc's Avatar
    Thanks

Idk. Phase out the optical drive? Cds will always be around.
    Haha.

Thanks

That's what they said about VHS. I just use a network mapped optical drive on my media server to install programs on all the other devices that have no optical drive. Much cheaper than an external.

Thanks

Bring on the 15in Macbook Air...
    Bigger is Better
    Check out the "LOST" i5 S prototype...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

The MBP 13 is pretty heavy, it's not convenient for me to take around for school and going out to the coffee shop. I just bought a new MBA 13 yesterday just because of that, and my back feels so much better. I don't think I'll go back to the MBP, overall I like the Air's performance better too. It probably won't be devastating to me if the pro is discontinued, but I don't know how the rest of the world sees it. I don't really need the optic drive, but if I did I would like someone else said, buy an external.

I would say that white macbook should be discontinued though lol, I really can't stand that thing. A piece of the plastic broke off on me right before I tried to sell it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

What, Apple realizing that people want just a laptop and if there is a cheaper alternative that the WAY more expensive one isn't really needed or wanted.

Thanks

The pro is actually cheaper than the Air in comparison.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    The MBP 13 is pretty heavy, it's not convenient for me to take around for school and going out to the coffee shop.
    Same here.. The only thing that bothers me about the MBP is its weight. Hope they get the MBA to be as good as a Pro, then I'll buy it

I also think that CDs are outdated. Don't know the last time I really needed one - I mean, everybody's got at least a 1GB USB-Stick to transfer data and stuff.. And the last time I listened to a CD on my Mac I really had to turn up the volume to hear the music and not the drive noise *smh*

Thanks

Why would they do that? MacBook Pro is their best selling laptop. Besides Tim Cook isn't very radical I can't see him making such a brash change.

Thanks
    SO WHICH RUMOR IS TRUE ?

This one or story posted here from 2/29

Digitimes' Report Claims Apple to Release Thinner MacBook Pros This Spring

The report is inconsistent with the debut time frame (it states both April “at the soonest” and “expected” in April) but, it does claim the update will include thinner 13” and 15” MacBook Pro models.

Apple, iPhone and iPad News | ModMyi - Digitime's Report Claims Apple to Release Thinner MacBook Pros This Spring

Thanks

True. I bought the Pro last year because it's got the sturdy body and good performance (in comparison to the white macbook) and it's cheaper than the Air (for a 13 inch). It's definitely preference, some want the pro and some want the air based on what each offer. I don't think they should (if they are really planning it) to discontinue the pro.

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

i still need a quad core i7 laptop, not a huge macbook air. so it better be an thin macbook pro(if it's without optical drive, I'd be disappointed, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Got a MBP in Sept 2010, hadn't once used the DVD Drive in the first year, so I replaced it with an SSD. Have never needed the DVD Drive. The Optical Drives should at the very least become optional.

Thanks

I hope this isn't true... MBA's leave little room to upgrade. I've juiced up my MBP (6,2) to a maxed out 8GB RAM, pulled out the ODD and the stock HDD (320GB's) and dropped in 2TB's of storage, replacing the ODD with another HDD. Like having that kind of flexibility. SSD's are still too expensive and if you want to max out your storage its going to cost you more than the laptop its self. I think SSD's are great and much more efficient, but a $130 1TB HDD is a hell of a lot more affordable than an over $1K 750GB SSD. Hybrid's look promising though.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I just sold my MBP 13inch 3 days ago because I read the rumor that a new one is coming out in April. Really hope it is true lol. The MBA is nice but it's performance doesn't match up to the MBPs. If they upgraded the base MBA to have closer specs to the base MBP then I would buy the MBA

My iPhone is a Part of Me Mr. Russian's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ivel View Post
    I just sold my MBP 13inch 3 days ago because I read the rumor that a new one is coming out in April. Really hope it is true lol. The MBA is nice but it's performance doesn't match up to the MBPs. If they upgraded the base MBA to have closer specs to the base MBP then I would buy the MBA
    The MBP was refreshed a few months...
    CHECK OUT THIS AWESOME THEME
    Windows Vista
    Follow me on Twitter - Mr_Russ1an