+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Releases Safari 5.1.4 Packed with Improvements

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Releases Safari 5.1.4 Packed with Improvements

Apple recently released a maintenance and security update (Version 5.1.4) for its Safari Web browser, which now claims to have an 11% improved JavaScript performance over the previous version. This is in addition to the update delivering roughly another dozen enhancements as well.

The Safari 5.1.4 update, which is available exclusively for Macs running on Mac OS X Lion includes the following changes:
    • Improve JavaScript performance up to 11% over Safari 5.1.3
    • Improve responsiveness when typing into the search field after changing network configurations, or with an intermittent network connection
    • Address an issue that could cause webpages to flash white when switching between Safari windows
    • Address issues that prevented printing U.S. Postal Service shipping labels and embedded PDFs
    • Preserve links in PDFs saved from webpages
    • Fix an issue that could make Flash content appear incomplete after using gesture zooming
    • Fix an issue that could cause the screen to dim while watching HTML5 video
    • Improve stability, compatibility, and startup time when using extensions
    • Allow cookies set during regular browsing to be available after using Private Browsing
    • Fix an issue that could cause some data to be left behind after pressing the “Remove All Website Data” button
    According to Apple the JavaScript performance the testing was conducted in January 2012 on a 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5-based iMac 21.5-inch system using OS X Lion and configured with 4GB of RAM and an AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB of VRAM. The benchmarks are based on SunSpider 0.9.1. The previous update to Safari came in February in the form of Safari 5.1.3 and it came bundled with the OS X 10.7.3 update that Apple released for Lion.

Although version 5.1.4 is a small update, there are more significant changes coming to the Web browser that are coming later this year with the launch of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. As of right now, Safari 5.2 for Mountain Lion will sport a simplified user interface that has a unified search as well as new sharing features that make it easy to send links via the Messages application or post them on Twitter. Hopefully there will be a slew of new features that are yet to be unveiled for the bigger update expected later this year.

Source: Apple

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

This:
    • Fix an issue that could cause the screen to dim while watching HTML5 video

A fix I will like. Hated watching game reviews and the screen would start to go dim.

iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow, I was effected by half of that and the extra speed is nice too. thanks apple

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is not available exclusively to Mac's. Windows also has the update.

Thanks

Sweet. Any speed regained after installing Lion is most appreciated. Seemed to me like Safari had suffered the most sped loss.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    its really cool
    thxs apple...................

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ozzie5374's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds great. Particularly as I use Firefox.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie5374 View Post
    Sounds great. Particularly as I use Firefox.
    Then why on earth r u even responding to this thread? Your answer holds no value

Green Apple
    Thanks

its definitely a bit faster....i've been using chrome but i might make a switch to this....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    Then why on earth r u even responding to this thread? Your answer holds no value
    Maybe he's suggesting that he'll stop using firefox and start using Safari with these latest improvements??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    Maybe he's suggesting that he'll stop using firefox and start using Safari with these latest improvements??

Possibly I read it as who needs safari when Firefox is better which is totally wrong

Thanks

There's an old saying which matches my old thinking - when you're on a good thing stick to it.
    I loathed IE on my old Windows PC & I loathed Safari on iMac. A computer techie listened to the problems I was having & suggested I try Chrome or Firefox. We have also recently changed over from IE to Firefox on Windows Xpee at work & that has solved some issues we were having with some websites. I like the Fox & it likes me. Period

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie5374 View Post
    There's an old saying which matches my old thinking - when you're on a good thing stick to it.
    I loathed IE on my old Windows PC & I loathed Safari on iMac. A computer techie listened to the problems I was having & suggested I try Chrome or Firefox. We have also recently changed over from IE to Firefox on Windows Xpee at work & that has solved some issues we were having with some websites. I like the Fox & it likes me. Period
    Again, your answer holds no value to this article please stay on Topic about Safari
    Last edited by BenderRodriguez; 03-14-2012 at 04:02 AM.

Thanks

CerO, rocketApe, Pokal326, Jerzdre & AUZambo have all expressed their opinions in response to a noted minor update to Safari. I have expressed mine too. I've found the Fox to be better for mine & work uses. I don't swap & change browsers just because of wowsers! I suggest folks who are having difficulties to give Chrome or Fox a go. Ditch the browser you're on. I did. Now, back to that fishing!