+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report: Steve Jobs Initially Got it 'Wrong' on Retail

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
In a candid new interview with Fortune, former Apple retail chief and new J.C. Penney CEO Ron Johnson opens up about how he convinced late Apple boss Steve Jobs to
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 564 Posts

Default Report: Steve Jobs Initially Got it 'Wrong' on Retail

In a candid new interview with Fortune, former Apple retail chief and new J.C. Penney CEO Ron Johnson opens up about how he convinced late Apple boss Steve Jobs to shed his initial vision for what would become the company's hugely successful retail presence.

According to Johnson, Jobs originally wanted Apple stores to be tailored to business and creative professionals, not general consumers. "I said, 'Well, then I'm not coming. If you want to be a store for all Americans, sign me up,'" Johnson admits of his earlier talks with Jobs.

Johnson admits, not surprisingly, that Jobs was at first stubborn about changing course with the retail strategy.
    But eventually, he conceded. And Jobs told his team of the new direction by walking into a meeting one day and abruptly dropping the news. "Ron thinks this store is all wrong," Jobs said, "and he's right. We're going to start over."

In retrospect, Johnson was clearly right and helped Apple turn a pretty penny by moving away from Jobs' original vision. Today, with 360 Apple stores around the world at an approximate value of $7,000 per square foot, Apple was well served by Ron Johnson, who is now dedicated to helping J.C. Penney return to its glory days of retail.

Source: Fortune

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

A Man with a extraordinary vision, and a Mighty Set of Balls. Hope he will make it great with JC Penney.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

People primarily used macs to be creative. I remember that. Thanks to him, we are now dumber by allowing everybody and their house cat to post youtube videos

My iPhone is a Part of Me ddonuts4's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluprint View Post
    People primarily used macs to be creative. I remember that. Thanks to him, we are now dumber by allowing everybody and their house cat to post youtube videos
    In other words...
    Then everyone took an arrow to the knee?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Ron is the man, he definitely has enough money to retire but he loves what he does and he's very very good at it so he moves on to other projects! I really hope he can do the same thing with J.C. Penney.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's interesting because in Jobs' biography, that story of the meeting where he conceded to Johnson's strategy was not necessarily referring to the fact that they were marketing to the wrong demographic but were designing the way the store marketed Apple's products in the wrong manner. Jobs wanted the store to highlight the four products: PowerMac, iMac, iBook and PowerBook, while Johnson wanted to design the store to focus on what could be achieved with these products, such as a movie bay displaying the movie editing capabilities of the iMovie the various products. I think that Jobs may have had the wrong vision of the store, but the fact that he wanted a public store for easy consumer access meant he understood the possibilities the general consumer would have with these products.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh come on, it is living man words against a dead man. He can said what ever he wanted. Shameless!

Great store without greatest products, what can he sell? his ??S
    Last edited by centori; 03-09-2012 at 06:56 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluprint View Post
    By "allowing" people to post Youtube videos? Yeah, because only *some* people deserve freedom of speech. Quality is subjective, meaning that chances are low that the uploader decided to upload a video with the intention to provoke Google by using a few megabytes of their storage.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by centori View Post
    Oh come on, it is living man words against a dead man. He can said what ever he wanted. Shameless!

Great store without greatest products, what can he sell? his ??S
    If you read the biography, you'll see that this story was already told in there, but Ron's voice wasn't included.

So it isn't really ground-breaking news, nor is it a shameful attack against a dead-man, it's just fleshing out the skeleton of a story that was already out there.

Thanks

You guys are too funny! lmao