+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Re-Branding Android Market in Latest Challenge to Apple

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Google Re-Branding Android Market in Latest Challenge to Apple

On the heels of Apple celebrating its 25th billion app download over the weekend, it's clear that all pretenders to the digital dominance of Apple have a long way to go before truly rivaling the Cupertino, California-based tech giant.

Of course, that's not stopping Internet search behemoth Google from trying. On Monday, in fact, Google announced a major makeover for its emerging Android Market. Taking direct aim at iTunes and others in the digital space, Google is turning the Android Market into Google Play, a new face for an old platform that Google hopes to rejuvenate through a more expansive and comprehensive slate of online offerings (books, apps, movies, etc.)

“Entertainment is supposed to be fun,” Google stated on its official blog today. “But in reality, getting everything to work can be the exact opposite—moving files between your computers, endless syncing across your devices, and wires…lots of wires. Today we’re eliminating all that hassle with Google Play, a digital entertainment destination where you can find, enjoy and share your favorite music, movies, books and apps on the web and on your Android phone or tablet.”

As you might expect, Google Play is all about the cloud. That is, users can pile on and pile together all their beloved digital possessions in one place without having to worry about anything getting lost or accidentally deleted.

“Starting today,” Google confirms, “Android Market, Google Music and the Google eBookstore will become part of Google Play. On your Android phone or tablet, we’ll be upgrading the Android Market app to the Google Play Store app over the coming days. Your videos, books and music apps (in countries where they are available) will also be upgraded to Google Play Movies, Google Play Books and Google Play Music apps. The music, movies, books and apps you’ve purchased will continue to be available to you through Google Play—simply log in with your Google account like always.”

For Google, the move represents another significant effort by the search giant to ramp up the competition with Apple in one part of their tech rivalry where Apple remains significantly more successful. Although the Android mobile OS claims a bigger global market share than iOS, Google's Android Market app storefront still can't compete with Apple's App Store in terms of revenue generated and the number and quality of apps offered.

It will be interesting to see if and how Google Play resonates with the mobile community in the weeks and months ahead. We'll be watching.

Source: Google

Thanks

Hey kids look! We are hip and cool, this is our alter ego 'groovy Google'. 'Groovy' is still a thing right? Hello?
    Last edited by Norb; 03-06-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Its a simple re-branding of multiple services under one name. Yeah this really is taking "direct aim at iTunes"...
    Slow news days huh? Gotta fill the anything-samsung-or-google-does-is-as-a-direct-result-of-apple quota for today I guess.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bigbaba's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm assuming google is calling this "Google Pray" internally.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaba View Post
    I'm assuming google is calling this "Google Pray" internally.
    ROR!!! Raughing out ROUD!

Thanks

This is simply, Google Music, Android Market, Google Books and Youtube Movies combined under one name, hey look if I try to go to one of those services it now takes me to Google Play!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

A month ago, in Google Labs...

"Hey folks, got to put a new logo for Google Play". "Ok, ideas?". "Dude, i got this Brian Eno Music app in my iPhone, called AIR, its so cool. Did you saw it?"...

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol, and Apple's been doing this already for how long? Following in their footsteps

Thanks

When will google realise their real problem is they whored andriod out and cause its on so many handsets all with different specs that so many of the apps are ****! They should have kept it to a few handsets and controlled the specs better! Rebranding their app store will do bugger all!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    Hey kids look! We are hip and cool, this is our alter ego 'groovy Google'. 'Groovy' is still a thing right? Hello?
    My God how is sick the apple people!!!
    Live Wire

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jrrtps View Post

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jrrtps View Post
    Very good first attempt at English, you're almost there!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by norb View Post
    very good first attempt at english, you're almost there!
    rofl
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

What a ridiculously biased article.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    When will google realise their real problem is they whored andriod out and cause its on so many handsets all with different specs that so many of the apps are ****! They should have kept it to a few handsets and controlled the specs better! Rebranding their app store will do bugger all!!
    Im actually glad there are so many Android phones. More options and choices to pick from.