+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Continues to Pursue Streaming TV Service Despite Content Provider Hesitation

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Continues to Pursue Streaming TV Service Despite Content Provider Hesitation

A new report by The New York Post claims to have learned that Apple has had trouble convincing content providers to come on board with a streaming TV service. Studios have refused to give in to Apple, which wants complete control over “all aspects” of the service, including pricing. A source described Apple’s stance as “we decide the price, we decide what content” which left media executives feeling like “they want everything for nothing.”

Apple’s Senior VP Eddy Cue has been described in the past as Apple’s “dealmaker” and is said to be leading the talks. Insiders have mentioned that Apple is proposing to offer “channels as apps for its devices” including the Apple TV set-top box. The report however wasn’t clear on whether Apple is hoping to bundle content together into a subscription or offer it on an individual basis. Although iTunes already offers movies and TV shows for rent or purchase but Apple seems to be interested in streaming over the web. The company is expected to run against competitors in the space, including the networks themselves, as many of them have launched their own apps in the App Store for the same purpose.

It isn’t the first time Apple tried to gain some support for a subscription TV service though as it also tried to do the same in 2009 and was unable to procure commitments from the industry. According to some executives, Apple’s interest in splitting advertising revenue was one of the sticking points that derailed the negotiations in the first place. Furthermore, Apple believe to have turned to cable operators in a recent effort to convince them to work with the idea but the cable executives “pretty much shut the door” on Apple according to another report.

The Cupertino California company even sought out to have discussions with AT&T and Verizon. Sources at Rogers and BCE (Canadian telecoms) also mentioned being approached by Apple about its TV initiatives and were rumored to have received prototype versions of its much-rumored high-definition television set. Apple does seem to be prioritizing its effort of bringing a streaming TV service to market first before launching its own TV set and is rumored to release this service by Christmas of 2012, which would fit a number of speculations of the Apple TV set being released in late 2012. In the meantime, Apple is expected to unveil an update to its $99 Apple TV set-top box as early as next week.

Source: The New York Post

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The dinosaur that is "cable" tv needs to evolve or die. I would gladly pay for just the channels i want to watch and not the 45 channels of junk i have to take with them to get what i want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mdisturbed View Post
    The dinosaur that is "cable" tv needs to evolve or die. I would gladly pay for just the channels i want to watch and not the 45 channels of junk i have to take with them to get what i want.
    I totally agree. I have been saying this for years. This would do two great things to the consumer. First, we would save money and second it would weed out the crappy channels because no one would be buying them so they would have to better their programming or they would cease to exist.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I want ala carte TV so bad. My wife and I are about to "cut the cord" and get rid of satellite and just use a home theater PC, our PS3 and XBox, and our AppleTV for content. We can save almost a $100 a month that way.

Thanks

Once this type of service catches on, which I believe it will, I can guarantee that the Internet providers will somehow find a way to charge people extra.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The thing that makes it tougher to get rid of cable is that if you only have their high speed internet they charge you an extra arm to only have one service.

Thanks

The problem with that is that you probably wouldn't pay that much less...if any. Most of the 45 channels of junk are just small channels owned by the larger ones. Right now the deal that the stations make with cable providers is that the cable provider pays for the main channel, then the channel owners throw in all the fluff for free as part of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by asmacumber View Post
    I want ala carte TV so bad. My wife and I are about to "cut the cord" and get rid of satellite and just use a home theater PC, our PS3 and XBox, and our AppleTV for content. We can save almost a $100 a month that way.
    We did that not too long ago. We mostly watched locals anyway, so it wasn't a huge change for us. We just couldn't justify $90/month for DirecTV service when we probably spent 5 hours a month watching the extra channels.

A Jailbroken AppleTV has been a god send for us. It very quickly paid for itself with the money saved on the ditched satellite service.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

I got rid of cable/satellite almost a decade ago. Hulu, Netflix, and others make it so easy to watch exactly what you want, when you want. Plus, a media server, a ps3, and decent bit torrenting can yield significant results as well.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Aereo + HuluPlus = what, $20per month? with no Cable needed. Sayin...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Finally canceled our cable at the house, sickbeard and sabnzbd are the way to go.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

These dinosaur controls high speed data you would need for this Apple TV, have fun complain about data throttling to your phone company AND your ISP... Don't see how Apple TV would work without cooperation of cable company.

Thanks
    I can understand why everyone is for this idea with Apple Tv set, but cable company's do play a vital role in competition which is good for us as consumers. I have cable tv and Netflix, and personally I think Netflix has gotten horrible over the last couple months to where I think I might cancel that and keep my cable. I don't think it's possible to just get by on streaming services like Hulu and Netflix. What about things like "OnDemand"? They is an amazing amount of content on there. Comcast just released its own version of Netflix called "Streampix." in about two days there was 2400 titles on there. I just still find value in having live tv because of things like the news and other live vents that have to preloaded and take days of not weeks to populate servers for you tool watch. Plus has everyone forgotten about DVr service?! I just think in the end, content streaming and ondemand services are the new era, but they are still in their early stages of evolution .