+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Munster Says Apple HDTV Will Rival Smartphone in Consumer Popularity

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Munster Says Apple HDTV Willl Rival Smartphone in Consumer Popularity

On the same day that Steve Wozniak danced around the topic of Apple possibly debuting an HDTV at some point in the future, Piper Jaffray’s prominent analyst Gene Munster says that not only is the TV coming, it's going to make the biggest splash in consumer electronics since the smartphone.

Despite the immediate hype surrounding the iPad 3's debut next week, "the big picture" is all about the Apple HDTV, Munster says. Speaking with Bloomberg Radio’s Tom Keene and Ken Pruitt, Munster is standing by his sources and insight, which suggest that the presently-unconfirmed product will debut this year, possibly with widespread consumer availability by fall.

Munster appears more than just excited about the product, he seems to be in love with it. In terms of the TV's design, Munster says it will “will look different” from what we're used to in the flat-screen TV market. “Imagine just a sheet of glass – no edges or bevels,” Munster says.

In terms of bold predictions, Munster has no shortage of those either when it comes to the so-called iTV. "It’s going to live up to some of the building hype," Munster expects. "It will be the biggest thing in consumer electronics since the smartphone."

Source: Bloomberg Radio (audio link)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Meh, won't be coming to the UK with the 'iTV' name.

Don't see many people throwing out a perfectly good large screen TV to go to Apple, and then throwing it out in 12 months when Apple bring out a new version. TVs are not a disposable item like phones and tablets

Thanks

I highly doubt it. Although sadly the TV will probably cost abouy the same as an ipad, or it could be anyhing knowing apple. I dont think it "willl" have an revolutionary things to offer. Maybe if apple had deals with all the big TV companies and got me cable at half the price then Id go for it

Itll probably end up the same as those ipad textbooks that no one will ever use

Thanks

Im sure the TV will make a "splash" as indicated. Im wondering about price?? What are the sizes going to be. Other articles point at $1500 price point to start. I've never paid that much for a TV..will this be the 1st TV worth buying for that price? Will it be 3D enabled?

Apple has already phased out 24' monitors..maybe they are preparing to do away with monitors all together and pushing the TV's with all the bells and whistles? Most of us have hooked our Macs or PC's to our HD tv's already, so that would probably be a no brainer.

I have a lot of questions and just speculation at this point..guess time will tell.

*T*
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    I highly doubt it. Although sadly the TV will probably cost abouy the same as an ipad, or it could be anyhing knowing apple. I dont think it "willl" have an revolutionary things to offer. Maybe if apple had deals with all the big TV companies and got me cable at half the price then Id go for it

Itll probably end up the same as those ipad textbooks that no one will ever use
    The textbooks are for kids, first of all.

Second, they were only just released and school don't exactly move at the speed of light, especially during the middle of the school year.

The point of the textbooks was to get iPads into schools. This helps Apple take more of the market, because when kids leave school, they take the idevice experience with them and will use it in their work.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    12 months when Apple bring out a new version. TVs are not a disposable item like phones and tablets
    You mean like every other TV manufacturer?

Munsters right Apple wouldn't get into this segment if they didn't have a game changer.

Thanks

Apple cannot compete with the annual price drops of HDTV. 2011 model TVs are selling 20-40% off from first day release. Apple barely takes $50-100 off a year old device. Apple should keep investing in the apple tv as it can be plug into any tv and yearly upgrades are affordable. They make more money off apple content than what a apple tv will cost them.

Banned
    Thanks

Anybody can and will spend $200 a year for new smart phones. people will NOT spend $1500 a year for new TV sets. not to mention that you cant carry your 42" wide screen everywhere you go just to show everybody that you have an apple product.

Thanks
    Right but it doesn't say anything about them having a new TV every yr like the iPhone, iPad......etc.
    But with the following and buying power, etc.......it maybe further drive the price of TV's down which would be good for customers.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I can already see four years into the future:
    Gen 1: 720p & 2mpx camera.
    Gen 2: 1080p & 5mpx cam.
    Gen 3: Apple 'invents' 3D (like they 'invented' videochat with FaceTime).
    Gen 4: Your TV listens to you and talks back, thanks to (bastard cousin) Tvri.

Jokes aside, I think they'll be more innovative than that - and *hope* that WAY more.
    It just wouldn't surprise me if they're not, but abusing their classic 'milking the stone' strategy might backfire at one point.
    Last edited by nutz; 03-01-2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: meh

Thanks

I paid almost 2k for my sharp aquos 42" im sure apples TV will be generations better, just because everyone is spoiled with the dirt cheap prices of TVs doesn't mean they wont put up the money for the best TV. I really wanted the Bravia XBR at the time but it was like 1k more.

Thanks

I just hope that the price of that device wont be rediculous! I'll hang on a bit if the price is reasonable otherwise ill kust buy a 42" hdtv

Thanks
    Retina display tv will be amazing that's what there game changer will be

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Anybody can and will spend $200 a year for new smart phones. people will NOT spend $1500 a year for new TV sets. not to mention that you cant carry your 42" wide screen everywhere you go just to show everybody that you have an apple product.
    You don't have to buy a new tv every year lol. People would definitely pay for a TV by Apple! I really hope they mention this on the 7th, it would be awesome!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan1683 View Post
    I paid almost 2k for my sharp aquos 42" im sure apples TV will be generations better, just because everyone is spoiled with the dirt cheap prices of TVs doesn't mean they wont put up the money for the best TV. I really wanted the Bravia XBR at the time but it was like 1k more.
    You overpaid for your TV unless you bought it couple years ago.
    Even LED 3DTV with 240Hz is couple hundred less than what you paid.
    So I am sure you would not mind overpay Apple's TV.

BTW I would not be so quick to go Apple, watch out for Sony because they are working on some new stuff for the TV that is about to come out as well.

BTW my guess on what is "new" on this TV is integrated iCloud computing.
    Makes sense to integrate a computer into a TV, to keep the boot time quick most data saved on the iCloud.
    Then I can see ISP screw this up by either throttling back or charge insane amount for internet service, because Apple would now compete with cable/Satellite provider which basically have a hand in ISP.
    Apple likes control on what you can have on your device, I would be hesitant with this iTV since I do not like people to know or control what I can watch on my TV. Good luck getting Playboy TV on that Apple TV
    Last edited by unison999; 03-02-2012 at 10:40 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I know I'm in the minority here, but I want a plasma tv, and knowing Apple, that's not happening. I would rather them just concentrate on a new apple tv that can just plug into any set and supports 1080p and bitstream HD audio. The only other problem is converting all of my bluray discs to a format the apple tv can play without losing quality.

Quote Originally Posted by hoekapika View Post
    Retina display tv will be amazing that's what there game changer will be
    Really? This makes absolutly no sense as even having a display higher than 1080p would be pointless. Even most cable television is still 720p. Unless they feel like making a new format that only the apple tv can play, it just doesn't make any sense.
    Last edited by silkd; 03-02-2012 at 11:52 AM.