+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Comparisons to Apple's Net Worth 'Getting Out of Hand'

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
In recent days, as Apple's surging stock price has helped drive the company's market cap to an astounding half-trillion dollars, some lofty comparisons have been made in order to convey
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Comparisons to Apple's Net Worth 'Getting Out of Hand'

In recent days, as Apple's surging stock price has helped drive the company's market cap to an astounding half-trillion dollars, some lofty comparisons have been made in order to convey just how valuable the company has actually become.

Just this week, in fact, CNN and others have reported things like "Apple now worth more than Poland" - that is, the European nation of Poland is now worth less than the iPhone maker. Here's how the U.K. Register put it:

Following an email announcing the iPad 3 launch, Apple’s share value hit an unprecedented $500bn in pre-marketing trading this morning, making the company worth more than Poland and many other things.
    The only problem with that argument... is that it's false.

"$500 billion is Apple's market cap, the entire value of all its parts as judged by the market," explains Joe Weisenthal of SAI. "True, that's bigger than the GDP of Poland, but it's a false equivalence, because the GDP is just one year's worth of national output for the country."

A better measure of Apple's "GDP," he says, might be its annual sales. In 2011, that was $127 billion - much less than Poland's GDP. Of course, if you still want to place Apple's value on pace with that of an entire country, let's go with Qatar, which has a GDP roughly comparable to Apple's annual receipts.

But Poland? No.

Sources: Forbes, SIA

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Sure it may not be correct but it's fun to almost be able to compare the two together, a country and a company lol!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 884 Posts

This deserved an article?!

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    Yes. On MMi, if Tim Cooks son hits puberty it will be an article. If Tom Cruise starts as an iPhone packer it will be an article. If the iPad 3 production line makes one extra iPad it will be an article. Get used to it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Still pretty ridiculous!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GooseG View Post
    Yes. On MMi, if Tim Cooks son hits puberty it will be an article. If Tom Cruise starts as an iPhone packer it will be an article. If the iPad 3 production line makes one extra iPad it will be an article. Get used to it.
    If you don't like it get the hell off their site.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

+1

Thanks

(cough) you mean Tom cruise isn't an iphone packer? Well you learn something new everyday I wouldn't have guessed that, :0p

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but you can simply skip the articles you don't want to read.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but you can simply skip the articles you don't want to read.
    Well said

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

Thanks

Effin trolls .. Go whine somewhere else. U sound like my frickin girlfriend. If u don't like what the hardworking mmi staff post articles on, go make your own iDevice site! Then u can post whatever the hell u want. U under-endowed, microscopic testicled n00bs!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DnBKiD521 View Post
    Effin trolls .. Go whine somewhere else. U sound like my frickin girlfriend. If u don't like what the hardworking mmi staff post articles on, go make your own iDevice site! Then u can post whatever the hell u want. U under-endowed, microscopic testicled n00bs!
    NERD RAGE! lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone hapishyguy's Avatar
    Thanks

New like these create unnecessary hype about apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luketinsley View Post
    If you don't like it get the hell off their site.
    I didn't say I didn't. I simply responded to someone else's comment with a humorous observation.