+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apps Cost Roughly 2.5 Times More in Android Market Than App Store

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
According to a study from research firm Canalys Android apps cost, on average, more than two times more than iPhone Apps. Canalys took the cost of purchasing the top 100
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apps Cost Roughly 2.5 Times More in Android Market Than App Store

According to a study from research firm Canalys Android apps cost, on average, more than two times more than iPhone Apps.

Canalys took the cost of purchasing the top 100 paid-for Apps in the App Store and the cost of the top 100 paid-for apps in the Android Market and compared them. The top 100 paid-for App Store apps cost $147 or an average of $1.47 an app and the top 100 paid-for Android Market apps cost $374.37 or $3.74 per app.

Canalys claims the discrepancy is a result of Apple’s mature, walled-garden, allows in-app purchases and increases app price competitiveness. The Android Market has fewer people willing to pay for apps and as a result developers must charge more to break even or profit.

The overlap between the two marketplaces is relatively low with only 19 apps appearing on both lists. However, when they do, the App Store versions are usually priced lower. Fortune uses the example of EA’s Monopoly costing $.99 in the App Store versus $4.99 in the Android Market.

While Canayls draws these conclusions from the data provided in their study, the reasons behind price discrepancies between the two market places is likely attributed to more factors. The cost of development for each platform, Apples consistent updating policy, the fragmented nature of the Android user-base and a number of other factors likely influence prices. However, additional research is needed.

Source: Fortune

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Good god, does anyone do any proper research nowadays before throwing a bunch of sentences together and calling them an article.

Monopoly was released in 2009 for IOS and cost EXACTLY the same price as it does now on Android, its a new customer base of course they are gonna put the price up for a while, they want to make money from it.

EA Mobile’s Monopoly Hits App Store | Apple iPhone School

It seems that we have to keep telling everyone to stop comparing Apples App store to Androids, they even said -
    The overlap between the two marketplaces is relatively low with only 19 apps appearing on both lists.

Apples market started a over a year before Androids, they all have different apps for different needs. STOP COMPARING APPLES TO ORANGES.

Banned
    Thanks

They forget to account for in-app purchases.
    Other consoles/handhelds have the full version where most stuff on IOS have in-app purchases so the initial price is small but the total cost is higher.
    1 example is Zen Pinball. Its cheaper on IOS than on 3DS but when you add the in-app purchases its actually more expensive on IOS.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

i hate in app purchase games. Sell me the whole shebang at one time.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    Good god, does anyone do any proper research nowadays before throwing a bunch of sentences together and calling them an article.

Monopoly was released in 2009 for IOS and cost EXACTLY the same price as it does now on Android, its a new customer base of course they are gonna put the price up for a while, they want to make money from it.

EA Mobile’s Monopoly Hits App Store | Apple iPhone School

It seems that we have to keep telling everyone to stop comparing Apples App store to Androids, they even said -
    The overlap between the two marketplaces is relatively low with only 19 apps appearing on both lists.

Apples market started a over a year before Androids, they all have different apps for different needs. STOP COMPARING APPLES TO ORANGES.
    It's Friday, buddy. Try to relax. There must be more important things in your life to worry this much about.

Banned
    Thanks

Android apps may or may not cost more than iOS apps but there is also a higher number quality apps in the Android Market that are FREE than in the App Store.

Some apps in the Market Place are also optimized for Tegra 2 and Tegra 3 processors which may or may not effect the price of those apps.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I only found a free version and a $5 version in the android market.
    Does the $5 version play on the phone and the tablets?
    If so, in my case, apple would be $11 for the iPhone and iPad version compared to the $5 on android.
    I didn't find a free version for ios but did for android.

*T*
    Thanks

ya... that 99 cent thing on iOS was only during a promotion

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Android sucks! That's why I got a iPhone!! iOS all the way..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    1st comment was a little emotional, but i agree with him.

I used to have a DROID X, before getting a 4s. i find myself having to buy apps MUCH MORE OFTEN with my 4s than with the DX. Appstore has more apps to be sure, but much more of the ones i care about are free on android. BIASED article to say the least... but it is modmyI.com, so what can i expect

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    If Android is EVER compared in a news article on this sight is is always made to look inferior, at the very least. I used to point this out, but what's the point? Just read and move on.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mkp808 View Post
    Android sucks! That's why I got a iPhone!! iOS all the way..
    I came to this article just to see all the raging android users... I was NOT disappointed. Thanks again guys!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If we are going to say why we come into this post to read, I came in here to read how author twist an article to make Apple look good. I understand this place is made to talk about Apple product, even I do not believe in any of the stuff being fling in the article (do not own an android product yet). I too was not disappointed.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Talking with a mobile device dev, he said it was much harder to develop for android due to all the different screen sizes.