Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Foxconn Accused of Hiding Underaged Workers From Audit Inspectors

Thanks

Default Foxconn Accused of Hiding Underaged Workers From Audit Inspectors

According to an interview conducted by Apple Insider, Foxconn used advance knowledge of recent audits by the Fair Labor Association to hide underage workers from auditors. More specifically, the report addresses the issue of 16 and 17 year olds who are permitted to work under Apple’s supplier code of conduct if allowed under local laws as long as the company obeys special restrictions on types and duration of their work. SACOM’s project officer Debby Sze Wan said she heard that all underage workers were not assigned any overtime work and some of them were even sent to other departments during the duration of the FLA inspections. Other workers reported that Foxconn had relaxed certain policies such as by adding additional break periods ahead of audits.

The FLA president Auret Van Heerden told Nightline’s Bill Weir that his group typically expects to receive “a show” when it arrives for its audits but the interview techniques amongst other strategies help dig beneath the surface to find more accurate representations of working conditions. Apparently with the notice of the show, they aren't able to get all the inside information. It was also being alleged that local Chinese governments have in some cases forced schools to send their students to Foxconn for internships despite the work being completely outside of their field of study. We’ll have to wait and see if anyone will bring more insight to the lime light and if anything will be done about it.

It should be noted that these two companies aren’t the only ones with labor issues but rather Apple’s high-profile presence and Foxconn’s role as its largest manufacturing partner that puts the spotlight on the two companies. Apple’s public statements and attempts of transparency have also contributed to the focused attention that both companies are experiencing.

Source: Apple Insider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Seriously, enough is enough. China has too many people. Without Foxconn and similar companies, many MANY people would starve to death. This is how bad it is. These people have it good. Look at the factory conditions. It's clean, well lid, and very organized. Many other factories here (I'm in China) are dirty, rundown, and do not even have proper ventilation! Oh and I'm sure the Foxconn building are all air conditioned. At my friend's swimwear factory, all they get are fans blowing hot air around.

Thousands of people line up outside everyday to get a spot at this "paradise" factory. Believe me, if I had to work at any factory, I'd work at Foxconn. I've seen many factories from clothes, to shoes, to food. I'd rather be building iPhones then doing anything else.

These people that complain about wages, they should be grateful that they even have a job! There are thousands outside that are willing to work for less! If they have any common sense, they would know that if they continue to have kids at the rate, labor will get cheaper. Simple supply and demand.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoSaeba View Post
    Seriously, enough is enough. China has too many people. Without Foxconn and similar companies, many MANY people would starve to death. This is how bad it is. These people have it good. Look at the factory conditions. It's clean, well lid, and very organized. Many other factories here (I'm in China) are dirty, rundown, and do not even have proper ventilation! Oh and I'm sure the Foxconn building are all air conditioned. At my friend's swimwear factory, all they get are fans blowing hot air around.

Thousands of people line up outside everyday to get a spot at this "paradise" factory. Believe me, if I had to work at any factory, I'd work at Foxconn. I've seen many factories from clothes, to shoes, to food. I'd rather be building iPhones then doing anything else.

These people that complain about wages, they should be grateful that they even have a job! There are thousands outside that are willing to work for less! If they have any common sense, they would know that if they continue to have kids at the rate, labor will get cheaper. Simple supply and demand.
    Yep I completely agree with you. I saw the documentary and the conditions in Foxconn are way better than the conditions at there homes

I agree with @RyoSaeba RyoSaeba.
    They will never get paid what we do in a first world country. If that were the case an iPad would cost 5K.

The conditions seem acceptable even for here in Canada. In China I can only imagine this is one of the better opportunities.
    And Foxconn makes parts for just about every tech company, so blaming Apple alone is not fair. Apple is just another customer. A very big one however.

There's a reason age limits are favored by the general populace (not that I would use that as a criterion for right and wrong). Hypothetically, you might have the best working conditions in the world, but there is still a reason to not hire "under aged" workers.

What "under aged" should be, is a different discussion.

To "luvmytj"'s point below, I used "under aged" loosely, but intended "within guidlines".

If they are operating outside of guidelines, then there is a problem. The article is a little light on information and without more detailed information, ie "certain restrictions" as they apply to China &/or international laws, I agree...where is the issue?

To the discussion points/comments made above, if they are operating outside guidelines then there is a problem, regardless of working conditions or improvement in quality of life.

To the articles content, it is a bit light in substance. China could have removed younger workers to avoid the ire of the American populace without actually breaking Chinese &/or International law.
    Last edited by GeoffS4; 02-23-2012 at 08:58 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

In the US underage 18 workers can get jobs with certain restrictions. Sounds like the same type situation there so where is the issue?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Just when you thought you heard it all smh. nobody cares about that job, it's meaningless. We all know the pay sucks but that's not problem.

Kids are forced to work there and also work overtime - it's shocking. People are exposed to poison on a daily basis and tragically take their own life there too.

Apple is going to wash their hands like it's not their problem. However, they keep feeding the monster.

Poor kids. Apple is responsible for feeding the monster

Quote Originally Posted by Bluprint View Post
    Just when you thought you heard it all smh. nobody cares about that job, it's meaningless. We all know the pay sucks but that's not problem.

Kids are forced to work there and also work overtime - it's shocking. People are exposed to poison on a daily basis and tragically take their own life there too.

Apple is going to wash their hands like it's not their problem. However, they keep feeding the monster.

If true, then shame. However, what facts are you basing your accusations? Sure, questions have to be asked to get inquiries that (should) result in more information, but you are basing this on what exactly?

1) How are the kids forced? The country or company (Foxconn) is forcing them or based on the unemployment rate or living conditions? I'm not seeing the forced part of your discussion at this point.

2) The pay in China is atrocious compared to US standards, but that is not an argument for pay. That is known as the cost of living. Every US city has a different cost of living, to a greater degree every country has a different cost of living. Now, compared to the rest of China, is it "acceptable"?

3) And the reported suicides prove nothing at this point.
    Last edited by GeoffS4; 02-23-2012 at 09:23 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluprint View Post

So you never buy any products produced in other countries, specifically third world countries, or any place they don't pay like in the US? Many companies "feed the monster" as you put it. Oh yeah, be sure and burn the computer you posted to the forum with since it most likely was made by someone who didn't get paid US wages.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    In the US underage 18 workers can get jobs with certain restrictions. Sounds like the same type situation there so where is the issue?
    Here you can't use heavy machinery as a child, and you usually get paid the same amount as adults as long as you work full time.

In china, kids get lower pay and work heavy machinery and also have longer workdays

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I was working by the age of 15 digging up lawns for a Sprinkler Co. It's how I made money, and I gained from the experience starting at a younger age. 16-17 yrs old is nothing! I bet a lot of them are able to help their families back home by working there. This whole thing is just ridiculous, it's China that makes the rules over there, they're not the U.S. and we can't compare them to us at all. Apple simply has their products made in the Foxconn factory along with a lot of other major companies.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    Ontario Canada: 16years to work legally. I started at around my 16th birthday but i was still 15. And if your under 18 then min. wage doesn't apply for you. 18+ in Ontario is $10.25 min wage.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

Why would this be an issue for people outside of that country? Every country has rules and regulations regarding age limits and working hours and conditions. Here in the US you can work at age 16 with parent/guardian consent. There are no words of under that age bracket being reported, so why is this an issue? There is wage limits in every country. Dont forget even in the US its $7.25 and many people forget that. Maybe to make apple cough up some money around because they are profiting way too much?

Foxconn is a large electronic manufacturing company and maybe, just like even in factories and other large vesenaties in the US can make improvements. Living conditions in the US, Canada, most Europian countries are much better than as of Foxconn' location. There are worse places in te world to take these issues to than Foxconn here.

If you are against this and believe these bashing to be outrageous and unacceptable then you should toss all of your apple products in the trash because you helped support this cause.

Just my 2 cents.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RyoSaeba View Post
    Without Foxconn and similar companies, many MANY people would starve to death.
    Seriously??? Starve to death???
    China closed itself off from the rest of the world for a long time, yet it has largest population does that sound like country that would starve to death.
    Now because of the money going into China which is held by less than 1% of the population, what trickled down to the population is very minimal which you can see by Foxconn wage as an example.
    BTW what is the downside of money going into China? People's value system is all screwed up, everyone is now "look toward front" (sounds like look toward money in Chinese). If you got money you can have anything, if you don't have money you don't exist.

did anyone expect anything other than a show? If the company is awful, they arent going to show it when they know they are being audited. Only makes sense.

didnt know countries outside usa had underage labor laws

Sue them! I can't believe they are allowing young adults and teens with poor families to work! Oh how messed up they must be

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    Sue them! I can't believe they are allowing young adults and teens with poor families to work! Oh how messed up they must be
    I'm sure those underage workers are having a better life working at the factories than there homes. Remember they were not forced to work at Foxconn but they chose to do it themselves

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    I don't quite understand why this is Apple's problem. These workers work in another country under another Government's law. If the people are having such a ****** time at work, because it's legal, then the problem isn't the organization which is simply utilizing all of its legal resources in its own nation...

I just think all this faux factory inspection BS is... BS.. Chinese law allows for these things, that's clearly the problem, but for some reason China seems to get free reign to run rampant across planet earth. WTF?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast