+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nightline Special: Inside Apple's Magic Factory, Airs Tonight *Update*

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Nightline Special: Inside Apple's Magic Factory, Airs Tonight *Update*

ABC put up a five minute taste of their Foxconn “iFactory” special, with the rest of the set to air tonight at 11:35 on their Nightline news program.

The program is being billed as an exclusive special “Inside Apple’s Magic Factory: Rare Look at Secret World.” Even in the preview the footage is rather extensive, showing the production process up close and the conditions workers must operate in. ABC’s was even granted access to the dormitories and interviews with production line workers.

While the extent to which Apple granted ABC access has yet to be seen, ABC didn’t find anything egregious as far as labor violations are concerned. However, the full special tonight could reveal additional details, violations, and an even deeper look into Apple’s massive production facilities, which up till now Apple has kept shrouded in mystery.

You can bet this would have never happened with Jobs at the helm. Check here for the preview and tune in to ABC at 11:35 for the full special. We'll update with more info after the special.

*Update*

The amount of access granted to ABC's camera crews and reporters turned out to be quite extensive, more so than I imagine, but just short of truly delving into the biggest question mark: the Foxconn workers psyche.

A few workers were given time to speak, but they briefly lamented on being tired, and wanting more pay. However, the social and emotional toll these jobs have on Foxconn's workers was never delved into. It was amazing to see a Foxconn exec explain away workers passing out on top of boxes in the few spare minutes they had after a meal break as a "Chinese Tradition."

Even more amazing are the hordes of hopeful workers that line up outside of Foxconn's recruiting center each morning in the hopes of being granted the opportunity to work inside the factories. One young man's comment that "I hear the work is hard, but I want the experience" and another young woman when asked about the suicides answers "I don't think it has much to do with the company." All of this for the chance to land a starting salary of $1.78/hr. The good news is 80% of the people who show up will be hired (many travel days by bus), and many will pay $17.50 a month to live in the cramped dormitory.

The lines remind me immediately of ration and labor lines found in America during the Great Depression, and during the Gilded-Age of American Industry. Scores of people lining up to receive minimal amounts of pay for an incredible amount of work just to gain "experience" and put food on the table to survive. America was built on the back of its labor force and China appears to be doing the same. However, China is letting corporations, and its manufacturing facilities exploit their labor force in the same way.

China will likely experience a Labor movement that makes the formation of Labor Unions in the United States look like peanuts in comparison. China is in the midst of a societal J-Curve. As poorer nations become increasingly developed their once distressed and exploited populace begins to taste a standard of living not afforded them before. They begin to see what other people in developed nations have, and realize they can have it to. This gradual realization eventually becomes and exponential explosion of demand resulting in a revolution (demonstrations have become increasingly frequent throughout the country). Unless China adopts a Syrian-like stance toward civil upheaval Apple and other companies will need to look elsewhere for cheap labor on a massive scale.

Still, the Fair Labor Association's Audit, paid for by Apple mind you, will be an interesting read. How does someone measure the labor practices of a company and it's manufacturers? Do they compare it to other developing nations, or do they compare it to other world super powers of manufacturing? Time will tell.

Source: ABC [via 9to5Mac]
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 02-22-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks

I'm going to guess that Apple didn't let them record anything so bad that it would affect their business.

Thanks

Cant believe foxconn pays these workers $1.75 an hour
    Last edited by Eli_; 02-22-2012 at 04:41 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

I heard a lot of the workers actually
    Live their. But yea a dollar and change and hour it's nuts. On the other hand how high is the cost of living out their?

Quote Originally Posted by Eli_ View Post
    Cant believe apple pays these workers $1.75 an hour not cool
    Yea. For a company worth that much money.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Can't find it on my TV listings anywhere, I'm using COX.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I don't think you realize every other factory in china has same to lower prices media is just making drama about apple even though it's the same conditions as every other factory In china

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

It's not Apples factory. It's not them that pays them, it's -whichever partners factory it is- job. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wth guys you don't have a clue about their cost of living, nor the conditions they dealt with before the factories arrived.

10 yrs Ago I remember seeing documentaries where Chinese citizens were living in huts with thatched roofs. No running water and no power (not even battery op lights).

You really can't judge others society without A) being a part of it or B) witnessing it yourself.

As for the "Apple's rich they can afford it", well I suppose everyone ought to pay they neighborhood kid $100 a lawn mow, or your baby sitter $200 a night.

Your loaded you can go out to a nice dinner, so you should pay to make sure all their needs are met right? I mean since you hired them, it's your responsibility now... right?

I am not that old, and I clearly remember manufacturing $75,000 RV's @ $3.25 an hr. I can guarantee not one of their employees had one in their driveway. OB noes!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GooseG View Post
    It's not Apples factory. It's not them that pays them, it's -whichever partners factory it is- job. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    You're totally correct, I don't understand where this thinking of apple paying or having to do with working conditions in these factories began. All apple does is ask them to make their stuff and the factory is responsible for its own conditions and workers pay. Apple products aren't the only thins made there. Ps3, Xbox, Wii, Tvs, blu rays, pretty much any electronic is made at foxconn and only apple is receiving all this blame when they are the only company actually doing anything about working conditions at Foxconn providing therapy and protection for the workers there when they don't really have to because foxconn is supposed to be doing that not apple. What are all the other companies like Sony and Microsoft doing, nothing.

EVO
    Thanks

watching it barely 5 minutes into the show and can already feel the anguish and sorrow for them...I can see the "thousand yard stare" in their faces.....

and suicide nets???

unbelievable...these damn factories!
    Last edited by EVO; 02-22-2012 at 12:44 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Antman217 View Post
    You're totally correct, I don't understand where this thinking of apple paying or having to do with working conditions in these factories began. All apple does is ask them to make their stuff and the factory is responsible for its own conditions and workers pay. Apple products aren't the only thins made there. Ps3, Xbox, Wii, Tvs, blu rays, pretty much any electronic is made at foxconn and only apple is receiving all this blame when they are the only company actually doing anything about working conditions at Foxconn providing therapy and protection for the workers there when they don't really have to because foxconn is supposed to be doing that not apple. What are all the other companies like Sony and Microsoft doing, nothing.
    exactly

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I bet you a billion of apple's dollars that they COULD do something about it if they chose to. If you don't believe they would jack up the pay if apple threatened to pull out and go elsewhere you're a silly silly person. It's also about ethical business practices.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

In China, virtually all factory workers have paid living and food (3 meals a day). Granted you have to live in dorm conditions but is that any different from being in a school dorm?

In addition, you need to consider the cost of living as well. When you can get noodles for 3-5 yuen ($0.48-$0.79), it actually is pretty proportional.

China is a place where there are parts that are super poor to super rich. Honestly, if they complain about the pay, tell them to stop having kids. It's all about supply and demand. When there are too many people, the cost for laborer decreases. It wouldn't be much different if there were 1.3 billion people in the US. Corporations are in it to make money, not to make world peace. They will do it however they can. If it's not China, it'll be Vietnam, or India.

Thanks

/thread

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    I bet you a billion of apple's dollars that they COULD do something about it if they chose to. If you don't believe they would jack up the pay if apple threatened to pull out and go elsewhere you're a silly silly person. It's also about ethical business practices.
    They recently raised the pay for their employees 25%. May not seem like much to you, but if I got a 25% raise, it would be completely unheard of and I would be doing backflips and kissing my boss on the mouth.

So, yeah, they're doing something. And what's even better is that the employees that make **** for Dell, LG, Samsung, and others will gets raises to for Apple's efforts while those companies didn't do ****!

I just hope they do the right thing and point out how many other companies use these same factories, and how much of China's manufacturing employees in other factories are actually working under much worse conditions and making even less money while making 90% of what everybody uses every day!
    Last edited by fleurya; 02-22-2012 at 05:33 AM.

*T*
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    They already jacked Up the pay twice

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Another thing, the Foxconn employees want to work there! They showed large numbers of Chinese who were trying to get a job there. I'm sure the factory is a lot cleaner than others too since they do make electronics.

Green Apple
    Thanks

You have it wrong, FOXCONN pays these workers 1.75$ an hour not apple.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I do not understand you people see another country's working conditions and instantly think they are terrible because they are not up to snuff with how the USA is current day. It takes time to work towards and strong economy and China is definitely doing that. At least there poor are out trying to get any job they possibly can to help their families living conditions. I can not say the same for many homeless Americans.

Thanks

So if foxconn is paying them that how much u think apple is paying foxconn