+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nightline Special: Inside Apple's Magic Factory, Airs Tonight *Update*

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
well on the flip side...they could be unemployed.
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

well on the flip side...they could be unemployed.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eli_ View Post
    Cant believe apple pays these workers $1.75 an hour not cool
    Apple doesn't pay these workers. It's the company heads decide how much they want to charge Apple and how much they pay their workers.

I don't get why people criticise Apple.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    I don't think you realize every other factory in china has same to lower prices media is just making drama about apple even though it's the same conditions as every other factory In china

Exactly. Just because the spotlight is on Apple/Foxconn you can be sure the working standards there are better than most. Imagine what the workers making the junk that is sold in the dollar stores are being paid, and imagine how they live. The USA is not China & China is not the USA... things are different, just like other countries vary. It is not a fair comparison.
    If you were to compare USA auto workers to those who work for the same companies in Mexico there would be huge differences. I bet mexican auto workers are not going home to big screen tv's and Budweiser's... and they live next door, not halfway around the globe.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jabij1's Avatar
    Thanks

Any way I can watch this online somewhere?

Nevermind, just saw shawnie's post. Thanks!
    Last edited by jabij1; 02-22-2012 at 09:18 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Apple doesn't pay them. Foxconn is a company contracted by apple. Foxconn execs make apple exec money. They pay their workers 1.75. Not apple.

Apple doesn't pay them idiot. Foxconn is contracted by Apple. Foxconn execs make millions. ***** at them.

Thanks

Let's not forget that Foxconn also makes products for other companies not just Apple. I'm sure Apple is the reason why they (Foxconn) can pay that much and is probably their biggest contract.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Actually, Foxconn pays them $1.75 an hour. Apple pays Foxconn the amount that Foxconn bid the work out to. I'm sure the bid was negotiated, but in the end Foxconn locked themselves into an x-dollar-amount contract and makes the decisions they need to meet the rates they've quoted. Apple's responsibilities lie solely in that Foxconn doesn't indulge in illegal activities in the making of any part of Apple's product.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    I'm going to guess that Apple didn't let them record anything so bad that it would affect their business.
    I'm going to guess you imagine Apple secret agents are sitting on every corner, making sure Chinese workers don't get out of the line. And that unicorns eat golden grass.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

let me see....they get paid $1.78/hr...lets say they work 12 hrs a day....that's $21.36/day. they pay $17.50/month for "rent" in the dorms. sign me up!!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    Apple doesn't pay these workers. It's the company heads decide how much they want to charge Apple and how much they pay their workers.
    I don't get why people criticise Apple.
    People criticize Apple for the same reasons people criticize Jewelers who sell "Blood" Diamonds. The Jeweler simply bought the diamond from the dealer who abused the miner. Apple simply buys manufacturing from Foxconn who abuses their workers. Same basic principle .

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    I bet you a billion of apple's dollars that they COULD do something about it if they chose to. If you don't believe they would jack up the pay if apple threatened to pull out and go elsewhere you're a silly silly person. It's also about ethical business practices.
    Like others have posted. They have already jacked the price up, but the point is that they shouldn't have to but they did because unlike the other companies whose products are made there, apple actually gives a sh*t. It's like if apple would jack up pay for Samsung employees just because Samsung provided screens for apple. That wouldn't happen because Samsung isn't owned by apple so the same goes for Foxconn, apple doesn't own Foxconn and shouldn't even need to help them, yet they do because they care. The only reason apple is always in the headlines next to Foxconn is because they are very popular now, they are the biggest company in the US, and the news loves to throw dirt on successful companies. If Sony or Microsoft were top dog right now, you would see the news calling Foxconn Sony factories or Microsoft factories.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tabaks View Post
    i'm going to guess you imagine apple secret agents are sitting on every corner, making sure chinese workers don't get out of the line. And that unicorns eat golden grass.
    lol!

Banned
    Thanks

will you still buy apple products?

Quote Originally Posted by 6thDAY View Post
    watching it barely 5 minutes into the show and can already feel the anguish and sorrow for them...I can see the "thousand yard stare" in their faces.....

and suicide nets???

unbelievable...these damn factories!

but how many iDevices do you own? and what will your next phone or tablet be?
    Last edited by jOnGarrett; 02-22-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

The video didn't look bad at all, I think the workers seemed happy to have a job there and didn't really mind the conditions too much. I think anyone that works on an assembly line would like better working conditions. They do the same thing everyday so yeah it's going to get a bit boring, but at least you've got a job. The conditions outside the factory seemed a lot worse then the one's inside. Just like it said in the video, it's the Nike effect, Apple is the big popular business right now so they're the one's that are getting attacked for working conditions. Most of us know though that all other company factories are the same way, some worse!

Thanks

The theory is that since Apple pays Foxconn and Faxconn pays it's workers, that Apple pays the workers, and it is sort of true. Since Apple pays Foxconn, could they not negotiate that the workers be compensated at least X.XX an hour? Do they really think that it is fair to make billions upon billions off of the backs of these people that are just trying to feed their families and try to have a good life? Obviously Apple cannot dictate foreign policy, so it is a bit unfair to target them solely just to "expose" them for whom they really are, a corporation. It is, however, a good thing that this is making noise, worldwide, in my opinion. With that said, I doubt much will change right now, but hopefully this may start the wheels over there. I like Apple's products, and would honestly pay more if it meant that those that make them for us were paid more than they are now. Sadly, I think I am in a very small minority when I say that.

Thanks

I'm going to guess you imagine Apple secret agents are sitting on every corner, making sure Chinese workers don't get out of the line. And that unicorns eat golden grass.
    It was the article that made it sound like Apple was restricting access.

Thanks

Apple DON'T pay these workers foxxcon does jeezs

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skyman6529 View Post
    Wth guys you don't have a clue about their cost of living, nor the conditions they dealt with before the factories arrived.

10 yrs Ago I remember seeing documentaries where Chinese citizens were living in huts with thatched roofs. No running water and no power (not even battery op lights).

You really can't judge others society without A) being a part of it or B) witnessing it yourself.

As for the "Apple's rich they can afford it", well I suppose everyone ought to pay they neighborhood kid $100 a lawn mow, or your baby sitter $200 a night.

Your loaded you can go out to a nice dinner, so you should pay to make sure all their needs are met right? I mean since you hired them, it's your responsibility now... right?

I am not that old, and I clearly remember manufacturing $75,000 RV's @ $3.25 an hr. I can guarantee not one of their employees had one in their driveway. OB noes!
    Thank god someone else knows this

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    will you still buy apple products?
    yeah **** it i'll still buy apple stuff all i know im gratefullly i live in the u.s

but how many iDevices do you own? and what will your next phone or tablet be?
    i got the ipad 2 and the iphone 4 and 4s im waiting on a unlock for my device im on 4.11.08

Quote Originally Posted by m0rgan23 View Post
    Apple doesn't pay them. Foxconn is a company contracted by apple. Foxconn execs make apple exec money. They pay their workers 1.75. Not apple.

Apple doesn't pay them idiot. Foxconn is contracted by Apple. Foxconn execs make millions. ***** at them.
    F**k YOU

not secret agents but your mama is in the corner....lol
    Last edited by Eli_; 02-22-2012 at 04:33 PM.