+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mountain Lion Supports AMD and NVIDIA Hackintosh Graphics Card Favorites Without Hacks

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Hackintoshers everywhere rejoice: Mountain Lion supports AMD Radeon HD 6950, 6970, and NVIDIA 5xx graphics cards without hacks. Well, almost. A forum post on tonymacx86 claims the Radeon HD 6950
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Mountain Lion Supports AMD and NVIDIA Hackintosh Graphics Card Favorites Without Hacks

Hackintoshers everywhere rejoice: Mountain Lion supports AMD Radeon HD 6950, 6970, and NVIDIA 5xx graphics cards without hacks.

Well, almost.

A forum post on tonymacx86 claims the Radeon HD 6950 and 6970 cards work without hacks citing reports originating from netkas.org forums. There a number of users have reported the 6950 running Netkas EFI working natively in 10.8. While one user even experienced the 6950 working in Lion with unhacked drivers after a warm boot back into Lion from Mountain Lion, another tonymacx86 poster warned “he 69xx situation seems a bit immature and experimental at this point. Even in the new OS.”

Other users on Netkas have experienced problems notably with iTunes causing a kernel panic. NVIDIA’s 5xx cards reportedly work natively without hacks or mods as well with tonymacx86 forum member mkchis claiming the GTX 570 is working faster than on his hacked lion system.

Sadly AMD’s latest card the 7970 isn’t even loading a driver in Mountain Lion. But, Robservatory has a workaround for those experiencing kernel panics when running Mountain Lion in VMware Fusion:

1. Make a snapshot of your current setup!
    2. Run the VMWare Tools installer, but do not reboot when it’s done. Just leave the installer running onscreen.
    3. Navigate to /Library > Application Support > VMware Tools.
    4. Delete vmmemctl.kext and vmmemctl
    5. Edit (you’ll need root power) services.sh in that same directory.
    6. Comment out these two lines (they’re shown commented out, via the # in front of each):
    7. #kextload '/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/vmmemctl.kext'
    8. #'/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/vmmemctl'
    9. Save the edited file, quit the editor, and now (via the still-running Installer) reboot the virtual machine.
    Source: tonymacx86 and Robservatory [via 9to5Mac]
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 02-21-2012 at 01:13 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

About 7970 and the rest 7xxx series: it's not surprise....Since there is no native support for that series from Apple (on their genuine computers)...Though there is barely support for AMDs new series on Windows -.-

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

OSX86 is nice to have if you have the time to put into the maintenance, it seemed like the last 3 10.6 updates broke my install and I had to do work arounds. But I am loving my iMac and MacBook Air 2011 editions.
    These babies are awesome! I'm really considering upgrading my iMac to max @ 16GB 1333 DDR3 RAM and then saving up for a 240GB SSD HDD. The 240SSD HDD to run Apps and the OS + my 1TB internal HDD I currently have installed will rock!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I run a customac so this news is most welcome. Just updated my build to 10.7.3 today with no issues.

Banned
    Thanks

I still cant get anything higher than 10.6.2 to install and then run.
    Just about everything causes Kernel Panics.
    Looks like others can go higher so I will have to keep searching for a newer working version.

And in WIndows 7 HOW do you burn to disc a DMG and have it work?

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

You guys should just build a PC from the ground up and tailor it for cake walk - if it supports Lion. The parts are cheap and the install goes smooth as butter.
    iNanaly Mac and Kexts(dot com) are great resources.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I will likely dual boot Lion and Win 7 on my PC

Thanks
    If anybody wants to try installing Mountain Lion on their Hackintosh, it's actually not that hard. You just need to make your own installer USB drive (basically what Unibeast did for Lion, except manually).