+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Confirms 'Spin Off' LCD Business

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
After weeks of speculation and hot gossip from the tech rumor mill, Samsung on Monday confirmed that which we've all expected the Apple supplier to announce sooner or later. Samsung
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Samsung Confirms 'Spin Off' LCD Business

After weeks of speculation and hot gossip from the tech rumor mill, Samsung on Monday confirmed that which we've all expected the Apple supplier to announce sooner or later. Samsung verified plans today that it will spin off its struggling LCD manufacturing business into a new company early this spring.

The new corporate entity - Samsung Display Co. - is yet to be authorized the shareholders, but the move still comes as a significant effort by Samsung to achieve its goal of "structural change" in the display business.

Much of that "change" has to do with the television market's decreased appetite for LCD screens and a growing demand for OLED televisions. According to the latest industry estimates, the LCD television sector is on pace to suffer a global sales decrease of 8 percent by 2015. By 2018, on the other hand, OLED televisions are expected to represent 16 percent of the television market. Currently, they claim only a 4 percent market share.

“It’s a good decision for Samsung Electronics,” James Song, an analyst at Daewoo Securities Co., tells Bloomberg this morning. “The long-term direction for their display business is going OLED. They can improve efficiency of investment by combining similar businesses.”

Source: Bloomberg

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Are their LCD Displays business different to the LED Displays? Samsung supply displays to so many people, Apple included, and make some of the best quality TVs on the market. Crazy to think that even though overall Samsung made a ton of money last year, their TV display business made a loss.

Btw, this article has really no purpose to be published on an Apple-centric website. Sure Samsung supply Apple with components, but these LCD's aren't one of them. Just feels like some flame-bait.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

OLED TVs currently make up 4% of the current market? Where can I find one of these, apparently very commonplace, OLED TVs? Clearly my understanding of what constitutes a TV doesn't coincide with whoever wrote this article.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Are their LCD Displays business different to the LED Displays? Samsung supply displays to so many people, Apple included, and make some of the best quality TVs on the market. Crazy to think that even though overall Samsung made a ton of money last year, their TV display business made a loss.

Btw, this article has really no purpose to be published on an Apple-centric website. Sure Samsung supply Apple with components, but these LCD's aren't one of them. Just feels like some flame-bait.

LCD displays the color, LED is what they use to light up the colors.
    Normal cheap LCD displays uses fluorescent lamps to light up the LCD.
    I believe Samsung is still supplying Apple with retina display for iPad 3.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wait I thought this was an apple news site. When did they decide to become a source if news for Samsung?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dangit View Post
    Wait I thought this was an apple news site. When did they decide to become a source if news for Samsung?
    +1