+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ABC News to Show Inside Look at Apple Factories on February 21

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default ABC News to Show Inside Look at Apple Factories on February 21

ABC has recently announced plans to broadcast a special edition of the television series, Nightline, next week after having gained access to document the working conditions inside factors at some of Apple’s suppliers.

Bill Weir recently received permission from Apple to visit factories in Shenzhen, China in preparation for the report which will be airing on February 21, at 11:35 P.M. Eastern time on the ABC network. According to ABC News, Weirs is the “first journalist to go inside the factories” to watch Apple products being made.

Weir said that “for years, Apple and Foxconn have been synonymous with monster profits and total secrecy so it was fascinating to go wander the iPhone and iPod production lines, meet the people who build them and see how they live.” It was mentioned that the cameras were rolling through various aspects of his visit where he spoke with dozens of line workers and even a top executive about everything from hours and pay to the controversies over suicides at the plan. He even claimed that after this trip, he will never see an Apple product the same way again.

The whole document show will be broadcast on Nightline but portions of the story will also be featured on other ABC News shows and platforms, including “Good Morning America,” “World News with Diane Sawyer,” ABCNews.com, ABC News Radio, and ABC Newsone.

As a company, Apple has taken steps toward greater transparency and accountability of its supply chain. For the first time ever, the company released a list of suppliers as part of its annual supplier responsibility report last month. The company even announced that it was the first technology company to join the Fair Labor Association and agreed to have its supply chain facilities independently assessed by the association. Bill Weir will reveal what it's truly like behind the scenes and whether Apple's steps have been helpful to the situation.

Source: ABC News

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Gainesville, FL (The Swamp, only Gators get out ALIVE!!)
    Thanks

Hmmmmmm not good for Apple I suspect....

EVO
    Thanks

lookin forward to seeing this..

Thanks
    Let's see if they state that Apple doesn't own any factories, and that dozens of companies make products here. Oh, and that these people are making "decent" money for Chinese citizens. Not good by western standards, but they don't live in NYC either.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Even if they aren't getting perfect treatment they act like this is new. It's china factories how can they act like its news If they aren't being treated well? All I can say is they are just making a drama over something simple even though every factory in china is just as bad

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    Even if they aren't getting perfect treatment they act like this is new. It's china factories how can they act like its news If they aren't being treated well? All I can say is they are just making a drama over something simple even though every factory in china is just as bad
    Exactly right it's all about media and media equals money. That's why you hear more about Whitney Houston than a soldier who died because they'll make more money off of her than they would the soldier.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cellular's Avatar
    Thanks

Never warn the company when your going to come over and let everyone see how horrible the working conditions are *face palm* I bets it is going to look like the best work we have ever seen...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Meanwhile what is Foxconns CEO doing?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maxime Caudebec View Post
    Meanwhile what is Foxconns CEO doing?
    Leaking story's to the american press to get even more money!!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesey123 View Post
    Leaking story's to the american press to get even more money!!!!
    +10000000000 exactly!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default well...
    Quote Originally Posted by femibrim View Post
    Hmmmmmm not good for Apple I suspect....
    We'll see, I suppose. I don't suspect Apple or Foxconn would agree to let anyone in if it would be so bad. They'll see nothing but happy workers and all the dirt will be swept under the rug - which is to say out of sight but not really clean. It's p.r. and I think somewhat easy for a bad company to look good but difficult for a bad company to become good.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Good lord, enough News "specials" about this already! Not you MMi writers, the media in general.

Would it be fair to say that the media is exploiting these workers in the same fashion Apple (and every other electronics company) is?? They surely are making money off of covering, pushing, and embellishing this story. Why else would every single news outlet be airing numerous "specials", publishing "stories" daily, etc. Just to raise public awareness? Ha, ya right.
    El Zurdo

iPhone? More like MyPhone hapishyguy's Avatar
    Thanks

Its a publicity stunt. Apple wants to repair their tarnished image. You think apple wouldnt bribe the channel or reporters to show their good image. Common!!!!!!

Thanks
    Still makes me laugh, how many other companies use Foxxcon yet they are never picked up on working conditions.
    There seems to be a strong anti- Apple feeling.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat50 View Post
    Still makes me laugh, how many other companies use Foxxcon yet they are never picked up on working conditions.
    There seems to be a strong anti- Apple feeling.
    Apple protray that image that their products make you feel good, all the while they are as guilty as all the other companies that use Foxcon to build their products. If Apple really wanted show that they are a caring company they should go the extra mile to look after the people that build their products just like they look after their own staff and their customers