+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Apple Patent Could Spell Trouble For Some Ultrabook Manufacturers

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New Apple Patent Could Spell Trouble For Some Ultrabook Manufacturers

Apple’s patent arsenal continues to grow, and a recently awarded patent could hurt other Ultrabook manufacturers.

Hidden within a number of patents awarded to Apple in the past week is patent D654,072 described as “the ornamental design for an electronic device, as shown and described.” Well, the object shown and described happens to look a lot like a MacBook Air and half the MBA’s Ultrabook competitors.

The phrase “MacBook Air” is never used in the patent, but the drawings included portray a devilishly thin laptop with tapered edges. According to Patently Apple this is the sixth patent awarded to Apple regarding the MacBook Air since 2009. Among the several inventors listed in the patent are Jonathan Ive and the late Steve Jobs.

Apple’s phrasing in the patent might worry other Ultrabook manufacturers. The term “ornamental design” implies that the computers design is not necessarily a functional necessity, and that other manufacturers emulating it could find themselves victim to an Apple lawsuit. Apple reportedly already flexed its newfound Ultrabook muscle with reports of the company asking Pegatron to stop manufacturing the Asus Zenbook (essentially a brushed aluminum MBA).

Tim Cook in an interview with the Wall Street Journal earlier this week hinted that manufacturers attempting to emulate Apple’s MBA design could be in for tough times.

“Now, you see the industry at large trying to copy it in some way, but they'll find that it is not so easy."

Source: Patently Apple [via CNET]
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 02-17-2012 at 03:48 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You do realise that this patent is only for the front feet don't you?! Everything drawn in a dashed line is contextual and just for reference and excluded from the patent.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by baRRy boRRis View Post
    You do realise that this patent is only for the front feet don't you?! Everything drawn in a dashed line is contextual and just for reference and excluded from the patent.
    That's even more ridiculous than the orginal story, patenting feet!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post

The phrase “MacBook Air” is never used in the patent, but the drawings included portray a devilishly thin laptop with tapered edges.
    So make a devilishly thin laptop WITHOUT tapered edges. Problem solved! No?

Banned
    Thanks

So does this mean that nobody can make a laptop that's thinner and lighter than an apple laptop? Ornamental Design, WTF? this **** gets sillier by the day.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    So does this mean that nobody can make a laptop that's thinner and lighter than an apple laptop? Ornamental Design, WTF? this **** gets sillier by the day.
    I would guess it's not so silly if you are a patent lawyer, and the document is worth multiple millions of dollars...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I would like to see a MacBook Air/Pro that doesn't have a black bezel. (Bevel?) From the outside of the lid, edge to edge screen. Don't take our screen away from us. Keep the same sizes of the shells, just give us more real estate.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
    I would guess it's not so silly if you are a patent lawyer, and the document is worth multiple millions of dollars...
    It might be, if Apple starts a lawsuit and fails, like they have a handful of other suites. That would be pretty funny IMO.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Nope, still not silly at all. Litigious, yes. Silly, no. And, it wouldn't be "suite" (sweet) either - it would be suits (lawsuits).

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Is this the case? If so major thread FAIL!

I guess it's ok if Apple stops others from using their front foot design.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
    Nope, still not silly at all. Litigious, yes. Silly, no. And, it wouldn't be "suite" (sweet) either - it would be suits (lawsuits).
    Typo, apologies. I would find it silly, anyway, as would the person winning the suit.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone syedsufyan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Apple is so stupid and uncompetitive. What is the point in this patent besides stopping all means of competition?

Thanks

Yeah... Apple sure is stupid

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AfterMercyFM View Post
    I would like to see a MacBook Air/Pro that doesn't have a black bezel. (Bevel?) From the outside of the lid, edge to edge screen. Don't take our screen away from us. Keep the same sizes of the shells, just give us more real estate.
    macbook airs dont have a black bezel. they have a gray one

Thanks

Apple is evil.

Thanks

Wait, this just came out this week? That should exempt systems that were already designed before the patent (like the Samsung series 9). Otherwise, quick someone patent something as broad as the flat screen monitor and try to collect royalties from every single TV / Monitor company in existence!

It's the great new way to get rich quick! Just ask TiVo or Apple!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Alluziion's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by syedsufyan View Post
    Apple is so stupid and uncompetitive. What is the point in this patent besides stopping all means of competition?
    -Facepalm-

iPhone? More like MyPhone shigh's Avatar
    Thanks

In a lot of cases ive heard apple tries to communicate with companies first. Those companies refuse or ignore apple and then its "caged courtroom showdown!!!!!"

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by syedsufyan View Post
    Money, what do you think?? If they wanna use it, they must pay for it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Swanson misses this kind of thing all the time- just as he does with his typos and grammatical errors and then publishes them.