Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: After Beta, Messages to Be OS X Mountain Lion-Only

Default After Beta, Messages to Be OS X Mountain Lion-Only

If you have been appreciating the ability to tinker around with iMessage on your Mac using Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3, then be prepared to make the jump to OS X Mountain Lion when it is released. It has been exposed by Consomac that as soon as the beta period for Messages for Mac expires, Messages will be an OS X Mountain Lion-exclusive. Many of us probably saw this coming already as Apple enjoys pushing its users to the latest updates whenever they can.

As the beta ends, Messages will fade away from the Mac OS X Lion community killing off all of its functionality. As the screenshot above shows, when Apple is ready to make Messages an OS X Mountain Lion-exclusive, a prompt message will pop up stating, "Thank you for participating in the Messages Beta program. With the inclusion of Messages in OS X Mountain Lion, the Messages Beta program has ended. To continue using Messages, please visit the Mac App Store and purchase OS X Mountain Lion."

This morsel of news actually answers two of our principal questions. Not only will Messages end up rendered useless on older operating systems, however Apple also gives away in this key that they plan to sell OS X Mountain Lion for a price in the Mac App Store and it will not be a free update. We have yet to find out what the pricing will be, but if it mirrors the digital download of Mac OS X Lion, $29.99 is a good guess.

This action is the exact opposite of what happened when FaceTime for Mac was released. In the release of FaceTime for Mac, the application was obtainable as a digital download in the Mac App Store for all compatible operating systems (at a price), which at the time included Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Mac OS X Lion. Perhaps the ease of digitally downloading a new operating system from the Mac App Store has helped Apple to realize that selling a new operating system for $29.99 will land more money in their pockets than individual 99 downloads will.

Sources: MacRumors

Thanks

Nooooooo
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION

Guess I won't be installing Messages.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Well that sucks

Well iMessages be available for Windows users?
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Did anyone think it wasn't going to be like this? Its apple. Their update strategy is to practically force you to do it. Watch, and update to previous OS will come out making it slow as **** and make you think you need the update.

My beta worked for like the first for hours. Now it won't send any messages at all. I tried reinstalling but that didn't work either. Anyone have any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    My beta worked for like the first for hours. Now it won't send any messages at all. I tried reinstalling but that didn't work either. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Try this.

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    Well iMessages be available for Windows users?
    Do u see apple making it available to windows when they won't support their own OS??

Well at least apple try to get people to move on! Just think how many windows pc's are running windows 98

Why do they bother? I'm sure someone will hack it for older versions also...

Thanks

Think sense for a second guys. It's not the end of the world. This isn't an iOS device, it's a computer. Likewise, it is not a walled garden. I can guarantee you that someone will publish a workaround that lets the Messages app function after the beta ends

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Try this.
    That didn't work for me. However disabling my firewall did work so I had to make exceptions to my firewall for it to work

No big news here, considering that it was the same story with FaceTime for mac pre OS X Lion. When Lion came out you were supposed to either buy FaceTime for a fee from the App Store or update to Lion

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    Do u see apple making it available to windows when they won't support their own OS??

Well at least apple try to get people to move on! Just think how many windows pc's are running windows 98
    No need for sarcasm, I actually meant like later on in the future.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Anthony fix your link!!! It's missing a : in the https//

https://discussions.apple.com/message/17617410#17617410

Although adding Googles DNS Server to your network config seems to be hit and miss. 8.8.8.8 in case anyone needs it. Though you should probably check your Firewall settings.
    Last edited by zrevai; 02-17-2012 at 06:24 PM.

I won't be paying for Mac OS X Mountain Lion.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Classic Apple. Who is actually shocked?

Quote Originally Posted by J Sweeney View Post
    I won't be paying for Mac OS X Mountain Lion.
    Apple are so cheap, honestly we paid for lion and now they want us to buy this crap, because they add a couple of features, its not fair, we can pay like 1.99 for the imessages if it came out but no way change an OS just for this. Its not fair

Thanks

LOL!!! it's a Beta. I installed it yesterday or the day b4 i think and i can STILL use it. Wouldn't make sense for them to open the beta up for just a few hrs..they want yall to be comfy with it ..THEN..PULL..it so you would NEED to update. BUT..i'm going to anyways..cause i like the feature & the fact that i can finish it on my iPad3 or iPhone5.

Anyone know where iMessages would store its plist files on Lion osx? using beta and have been able to remove the file size limit on the i-devices but haven't been able to Find the files on my mac..

Was able to send a 2gb file over iMessages from iPhone 4s to iPhone 4s (over wifi over course)