+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tim Cook Discusses Apple's Open-Mindedness with OS X and iOS Platforms

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Tim Cook Discusses Apple's Open-Mindedness with OS X and iOS Platforms

Although not hinting at any definitive future plans, Apple CEO Tim Cook admitted that all options are on the table for future of the Mac operating system, including merging the iOS platform and OS X together further. Other topics discussed included potentially running Macs on ARM processors like those found in the iPhone and iPad, or switching iOS to Intel instead.

The comments all came from a recent interview with The Wall Street Journal where Cook discussed the future of the Mac platform with the forthcoming Mountain Lion OS update. The CEO said he already views iOS and OS X as “one with incremental functionality,” though he expects both to continue to coexist alongside one another. When questioned about the two merging further, which would be a move that blurs the line between the two operating systems, Cook didn’t rule any options out. He even admitted that Macs could eventually run the same chips as the iPad and iPhone but didn’t specify whether ARM would come to the Mac or whether the iOS devices would transition to Intel processors.

Mountain Lion, the new operating system update, is set to release later this summer and represents a closer unification of many features found on the iOS platform onto the Mac platform. This includes features such as Notification Center, iCloud, Messages, Reminders, and Game Center. Furthermore, existing OS X applications will also be reamed to match their iOS counterparts such as Address Book becoming Contacts and iCal turning to Calendar.

Another thing the report discussed was the rumor about Apple’s upcoming television set, which came up when discussing the AirPlay Mirroring feature which will be included in Mountain Lion. This feature is set to allow users to wirelessly broadcast their Mac screens to an Apple TV on the same network. It noted that the addition of AirPlay is one that is “highly strategic for Apple, as it contemplates new technologies for the living room.”

Cook even noted how the Mac seems to be gaining traction in China where the iPhone has been largely successful and consumers seek to purchase Apple’s other products. Enhanced support in Mountain Lion for the Chinese language was an addition highlighted by Thursday’s announcement. OS X 10.8 will be including Baidu search in Safari and also improves compatibility with email service such as QQ, 126 and 163, and Share Sheets connectivity with Youku and Toudou, all of which are popular amongst Chinese users.

Last but not least, Cook declined to hint at any future plans for Mac hardware, although he did take the time to praise the MacBook Air noting that the PC industry is desperately trying to imitate its success. Apple is rumored to be taking cues from their sales b redesigning the MacBook Pro lineup this year with offerings that will look similar to that of the MacBook Air as well.

Source: The Wall Street Journal

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Makes so much sense...merging the two together, it was inevitable. As a former Apple hater, who was wooed over by the original iPhone, I quickly realized what Apple was doing. They invented such an amazing device with the iPhone, something that when I saw it, I HAD to have it. My iPhone quickly became my favorite electronics device I had ever owned, and so began my transition from Apple hater, to a neutral position. I still preferred PCs over macs, but I now loved Apple, with their idevices and iOS.

I imagined I was not alone in this transition. I would think about how Apple had completely won me over, even though I had hated them so much. I thought to myself....this is how Apple will overtake Microsoft and the PC. They will get everyone hooked on their amazing mobile devices, and slowly convert them to full on Apple consumers. You have to remember, Microsoft had no answer to the iPhone at the time, and for many years to follow. They were just sitting there doing nothing, not realizing the iPhone was slowly seducing more and more customers away...and as time will tell, not just mobile customers.

And now it is all happening. Apple has amassed a massive following with the iPhone, iPod, and iPad. All of these people, who used to buy PCs because that is what they knew, and didn't want to have to learn how to use something new or different, will have a new option....a Mac. Now, they won't have to learn anything new, because they have been learning how to use a Mac ever since they got their first iDevice.....Brilliant.
    Last edited by iLoveWindows&iPhone; 02-17-2012 at 04:33 AM.
    El Zurdo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    Makes so much sense...merging the two together, it was inevitable. As a former Apple hater, who was wooed over by the original iPhone, I quickly realized what Apple was doing. They invented such an amazing device with the iPhone, something that when I saw it, I HAD to have it. My iPhone quickly became my favorite electronics device I had ever owned, and so began my transition from Apple hater, to a neutral position. I still preferred PCs over macs, but I now loved Apple, with their idevices and iOS.

I imagined I was not alone in this transition. I would think about how Apple had completely won me over, even though I had hated them so much. I thought to myself....this is how Apple will overtake Microsoft and the PC. They will get everyone hooked on their amazing mobile devices, and slowly convert them to full on Apple consumers. You have to remember, Microsoft had no answer to the iPhone at the time, and for many years to follow. They were just sitting there doing nothing, not realizing the iPhone was slowly seducing more and more customers away...and as time will tell, not just mobile customers.

And now it is all happening. Apple had amassed a massive following with the iPhone, iPod, and iPad. All of these people, who used to only use/buy PCs, because that is what they knew, and they didn't want to have to learn how to use something different. Well, now they can all buy a Mac, and they won't have to learn anything new...because they have been learning how to use a Mac ever since they got their first iDevice.....Brilliant.
    Perfect thinking, I was thinking exactly this too...

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

Its all basic marketing. You want your products to stand out but simultaneously all point back to the brand. For a while, the iPhone was almost a self contained entity. But Apple has successfully incorporated it under their umbrella branding.

I could go further on how Apple's marketing and pricing models are recession proof and how genius it all is... but you guys are pretty smart.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If apple puts the ARM in the MacBook pro then I'm gonna go back to windows. There isn't enough processing power in those things.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    You have to remember, Microsoft had no answer to the iPhone at the time, and for many years to follow. They were just sitting there doing nothing, not realizing the iPhone was slowly seducing more and more customers away...and as time will tell, not just mobile customers.
    I'm guessing your really young and never heard of the Windows Mobile. That was out years before the iPhone and its got more features than the current iPhone. I got a JasJam with Windows Mobile 5 and that can still do more stock than the iPhone can. I cant believe the lack of features the iPhone has still and its so many years since the iPhone 1 came out and still only a little progress. WHAT are Apple holding back for? Release the iPhone with its full potential so everyone would want one. As its so locked down and crippled no wonder the Androids are so popular and wanted. My next phone is an Android. I wont be staying with Apple anymore as they just keep on sucking.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by firedell6 View Post
    If apple puts the ARM in the MacBook pro then I'm gonna go back to windows. There isn't enough processing power in those things.
    Windows is thinking of switching to ARM also for windows 8. The processors are defenintaly gaining power fast so I think they should be powerful enough to handle mild gaming and everyday activities just fine

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    I'm guessing your really young and never heard of the Windows Mobile. That was out years before the iPhone and its got more features than the current iPhone. I got a JasJam with Windows Mobile 5 and that can still do more stock than the iPhone can. I cant believe the lack of features the iPhone has still and its so many years since the iPhone 1 came out and still only a little progress. WHAT are Apple holding back for? Release the iPhone with its full potential so everyone would want one. As its so locked down and crippled no wonder the Androids are so popular and wanted. My next phone is an Android. I wont be staying with Apple anymore as they just keep on sucking.
    :-/ You can't be serious?

Name something the Windows Mobile 5 platform did that the iphone 4s can't, besides flash because that is irrelevant now.

Lack of features on the iphone....

"Release the iPhone with its full potential so everyone would want one" - Apple sells more phones than any other manufacture. Yes, they can make the iphone much better, but from a business standpoint why the hell woud they when it is selling like crazy???

"As its so locked down and crippled" - Your on a forum about jailbreaking, AKA unlocking and un-crippling the iphone

"My next phone is an Android. I wont be staying with Apple anymore as they just keep on sucking" Let us know how that goes, lol.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

No, I'm not really young. You though, must be mentally challenged to compare Windows Mobile to the iPhone. I don't know what your age is, and I do not care because it is irrelevant. The fact that you cannot see the difference speaks volumes.
    El Zurdo

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

My next phone is an Android. I wont be staying with Apple anymore as they just keep on sucking.
    Hopefully by then, you'll be pestering the Android forums instead of this one.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm guessing your really young and never heard of the Windows Mobile. That was out years before the iPhone and its got more features than the current iPhone. I got a JasJam with Windows Mobile 5 and that can still do more stock than the iPhone can. I cant believe the lack of features the iPhone has still and its so many years since the iPhone 1 came out and still only a little progress. WHAT are Apple holding back for? Release the iPhone with its full potential so everyone would want one.
    Sorry but after been a user of many windows smart phone on the old win ce system(SPV C500,Orbit 2 to name a couple) poor screen response freeze for no reason and just trying to send a message would take an eternity using the stylus on the orbit, to compare with the iPhone is ridiculous.
    its so locked down and crippled no wonder the Androids are so popular and wanted.
    I like the "Walled Garden", me for one would rather apple take care of the security same as a lot of people do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Hopefully by then, you'll be pestering the Android forums instead of this one.
    Yeah I'm definitely wondering when he's getting rid of his iPhone.

szr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maxime Caudebec View Post
    Windows is thinking of switching to also for windows 8. The processors are defenintaly gaining power fast so I think they should be powerful enough to handle mild gaming and everyday activities just fine
    They may support it, not switch to it entirely. I have seen no evidence that Microsoft (or Apple for that matter) will actually outright dump x86. It's about expanding what architectures an OS will be able to run upon.