+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: OS X Mountain Lion Officially Drops 'Mac' From its Name

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 767 Posts

Default OS X Mountain Lion Officially Drops 'Mac' From its Name

Is this the beginning of the end for Mac OS X?

We have called the famous operating system by Apple, "Mac" for eons. The mouthful that we have called Mac OS X for so long is now officially deemed OS X in the new release of OS X Mountain Lion that developers have been able to get their hands on today by Apple. The screenshot above displays the 'About this Mac' area of both Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 and OS X Mountain Lion 10.8. These are the official names and it is not some sort of fluke.

MacRumors cites Apple in that Apple prefers to call Mac OS X Mountain Lion, "OS X Mountain Lion". The change in the name makes us wonder what is to become of Mac OS. Tim Cook has been cited saying that the company is unsure whether they want to combine iOS and Mac OS just yet, however they are contemplating it. Tim Cook also stated that he understands Mac OS to be very important and that it is a precarious move that the company needs to think about very prudently.

We are also aware that OS X Mountain Lion aims to bring many of iOS 5s features to Mac OS. These features include iMessage, Game Center, Reminders, Notes, AirPlay, Notification Center, and much more that have been exclusive to iOS. In that we believe that Apple is trying to make the two operating systems perform in unison of each other, which is becoming more prevalent with each forthcoming Mac OS update.

It may be interesting to wait and watch to see what Apple chooses to do with their Mac lineup. It's a guarantee that iOS could never be as powerful as Mac OS because iOS has a closed file system. We are crossing our fingers and anticipating that the Mac stays around as a personal computer and does not become a mobile device like the iPad. As wise Apple Store representative once told me, "The iPad is a mobile device. If you are looking for a computer, you wont like it."

Sources: MacRumors

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Like "mountain lion" isn't a bigger mouthful lol.

-Luke

Green Apple
    Thanks

how much will it cost for this? any free upgrade for lion user?

Thanks

Is this the beginning of the end for Mac OS X?
    OS X is the Mac operating system, regardless of whether it's described, written, or mentioned without the word Mac preceding it.

And who's the "we" that "are crossing their fingers and anticipating that the Mac stays around as a personal computer and does not become a mobile device like the iPad"? Because if it's more than one person that writes for this website I'm deleting the website from my bookmarks. I've about had it.

Thanks

Is this seriously front-page worthy news?

**Mod edit: please keep derogatory comments off public threads**
    Last edited by i.Annie; 02-16-2012 at 05:51 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by severe View Post
    OS X is the Mac operating system, regardless of whether it's described, written, or mentioned without the word Mac preceding it.

And who's the "we" that "are crossing their fingers and anticipating that the Mac stays around as a personal computer and does not become a mobile device like the iPad"? Because if it's more than one person that writes for this website I'm deleting the website from my bookmarks. I've about had it.
    Wow, Do you need a hug?

*T*
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
    Wow, Do you need a hug?
    Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by prozac4312 View Post
    Is this seriously front-page worthy news?

**mod edit**
    It's front page worthy because it means apple might license their software
    Last edited by i.Annie; 02-16-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    imagine if ipad3 would run osx

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    It's front page worthy because it means apple might license their software
    Interesting point. While they have been slightly more accommodating in recent years in terms of allowing Mac OS X in virtualized environments like VMware ESXi 5, it's still technically restricted to Xserve Machines. Allowing OS X 10.8 running in a VM on ESXi 5 on Dell Hardware would be hugely beneficial for Apple to get their OS being used by more people.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ventodivino View Post
    imagine if ipad3 would run osx
    That'd be cool! Or a dual-boot OS X and iOS.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

"It may be interesting to wait and watch to see what Apple chooses to do with their Mac lineup ...... We are crossing our fingers and anticipating that the Mac stays around as a personal computer and does not become a mobile device like the iPad."

What the hell? How does this in any way suggest Apple is ditching their desktops? The very fact that Mountain Lion brings more synchronisation features with iCloud shows that the desktop is still going to be a part of computing, otherwise why bother unifying all the data like that?

If anything, the dropping of "Mac" is to bring it to a more similar name to iOS.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nat130 View Post
    "It may be interesting to wait and watch to see what Apple chooses to do with their Mac lineup ...... We are crossing our fingers and anticipating that the Mac stays around as a personal computer and does not become a mobile device like the iPad."

What the hell? How does this in any way suggest Apple is ditching their desktops? The very fact that Mountain Lion brings more synchronisation features with iCloud shows that the desktop is still going to be a part of computing, otherwise why bother unifying all the data like that?

If anything, the dropping of "Mac" is to bring it to a more similar name to iOS.
    You must have missed the point. Tim Cook and the rest of Apple were cited as considering the merging Mac OS and iOS into a unified operating system. This means that all of Apple's devices (mobile and desktop included) could be running the same operating system at some point in the future. The iOS-ization of Mac OS shouldn't be ignored. It looks great; more features added, but there is much more behind it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
    Wow, Do you need a hug?
    What I require is intelligent writing. Just a little goes a long way.

For some of us, Apple didn't start in 2007.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    You must have missed the point. Tim Cook and the rest of Apple were cited as considering the merging Mac OS and iOS into a unified operating system. This means that all of Apple's devices (mobile and desktop included) could be running the same operating system at some point in the future. The iOS-ization of Mac OS shouldn't be ignored. It looks great; more features added, but there is much more behind it.
    I really fail to see the benefit of the merging of iOS and OSX into one OS. Desktops need the ability to perform more complex tasks, and mobiles need to be the opposite; quick and simple. People want to be able to access their data (whatever it may be) from anywhere; where iCloud fits in. But a total unified OS thrown across the Mac-line and iDevice-line? I really don't see how that would be viable...

Mobile platforms are different to traditional "PC" platforms. These differences aren't exactly negative; the only real issue I can think of is maintaining synchronised data; again where iCloud will be extremely useful.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nat130 View Post
    I really fail to see the benefit of the merging of iOS and OSX into one OS. Desktops need the ability to perform more complex tasks, and mobiles need to be the opposite; quick and simple. People want to be able to access their data (whatever it may be) from anywhere; where iCloud fits in. But a total unified OS thrown across the Mac-line and iDevice-line? I really don't see how that would be viable...

Mobile platforms are different to traditional "PC" platforms. These differences aren't exactly negative; the only real issue I can think of is maintaining synchronised data; again where iCloud will be extremely useful.
    I agree completely and I see no benefit to merging the operating systems.

Thanks

At this rate apple will become zoo!

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Aww man I liked the "Mac", Macintosh sounds soo cool

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Interesting point. While they have been slightly more accommodating in recent years in terms of allowing Mac OS X in virtualized environments like VMware ESXi 5, it's still technically restricted to Xserve Machines. Allowing OS X 10.8 running in a VM on ESXi 5 on Dell Hardware would be hugely beneficial for Apple to get their OS being used by more people.

True, but I don't think it's in Apple's best interest to make it easier to run their OS on other machines. I mean I don't know about you but I just can't see myself iOSing on an $800 Dell laptop. I'd much rather spend $3000 on a MacBook

I'm pretty sure you can decipher what I'm really saying, lol.