Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Unveils New OS, Say Hello to OS X Mountain Lion

Default Apple Unveils New OS, Say Hello to OS X Mountain Lion

Who won the MMi pool predicting Mountain Lion as the next big Apple cat?

Apple stealth-bombed the tech world this morning and announced the next version of Apples OSX operating system. Say hello to OS X Mountain Lion.

Mountain Lion (is it bad I keep laughing) will integrate more iOS features into Apple’s desktop OS including Reminders, a desktop Notification Center, Notes, the Game Center, and finally Messages which integrates iMessage across all Apple’s platforms.

New features include iCloud setup that just works. Apple claims you can sign in once with your Apple ID and iCloud is automatically set up across your mac. This means all your reminders, notes, messages and syncable information is automatically pushed to all your devices.

Share information, pictures, videos, and links with the click of button

Apple has also included a new feature called Share Sheets. A share button is now available in a number of Mountain Lion apps. The share button allows users to “spread the word” via links, photos, and videos through services like Flickr, Vimeo and of course Twitter.

Twitter's Apple takeover is now complete with OS X integration.

Speaking of Twitter users can sign in once on Mountain Lion and post from nearly anywhere within the OS. Users can tweet links, photos, and other information directly from Safari, iPhoto, or Photo Booth with the new “Tweet Sheet.

Perhaps the biggest addition is AirPlay mirroring. This feature previously relegated to iOS devices is now desktop capable. Users can stream whatever is on their Mac to their HDTV via Apple TV. It looks like Apple is prepping the world for the functionality of Apple TV...

Apple HDTV mockup much?

Apple’s new security feature is Gatekeeper and is supposed to prevent users from installing Malware. Users choose between three security options that limit app installs to only apps downloaded from the Mac App Store, install only apps from the Mac App Store and apps that have a Developer ID, or install apps from anywhere like normal.

According to Apple this is only a sneak peek of the features to come in Mac OS X Mountain Lion. Expect more information soon as those with developer accounts dig into the new OS. Apple's streamlining of programs across all their platforms is nearly complete. Expect speculation about touch-based MacBooks and iMacs to become even more prevalent now.

Source: Apple
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 02-16-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Oooooohhhhh hellllll yeahhhhhhh !!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

This should be good

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

C'mon Apple...get your **** together.

10.1 was called Puma...'puma' and 'mountain lion' both redirect to the Wiki article for cougar...(not to mention the word 'panther' just describes a jaguar/leopard/cougar with a melanistic color variant).

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The cougar (Puma concolor), also known as puma, mountain lion, mountain cat, catamount or panther, depending on the region, is a mammal of the family Felidae, native to the Americas.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I guess this will be what Snow Leopard was to Leopard. Just a small few features and more of an under the hood upgrade

^^ Well now they've run out of cat names that they have trademarks for :P

Notification Centre looks like Growl, but a bit tarted up. Why Reminders wasn't just added as a feature of Calendar is truly beyond me.

So far it all looks a bit superfluous, what they need to do is fix the fullscreen apps with monitors. How a bug that large managed to make it to the final build of Lion is baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    I guess this will be what Snow Leopard was to Leopard. Just a small few features and more of an under the hood upgrade
    According to Nilay from The Verge, it seems to be a bigger than Snow Leopard which brought no new features.

Whaa? Already?

What they need to do is fix the damn wifi issue!

Is it safe to update to 10.7.3? Are those purported wifi issues still existent? iMessage beta requires it.
    Last edited by jabij1; 02-16-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jabij1 View Post
    Whaa? Already?
    Yeah there was more or less 2 years between almost all the previous iterations of OS X, but Lion has only been out for 6 months and Mountain Lion is going to be out later this year. Perhaps Apple wants to steal the spot light from Windows 8. Each of the 10 unveiled features could have been done with 10.7.4 I don't see the need for a complete new OS installation.

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

mountain lion???? lol good god...

just call it OS X Big Pussy!

Not compatible with Core 2 Duo MacBooks. That's gonna piss a lot of people off lol

Thanks

Now you're talkin'! Can't wait to test it out!

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post
    Not compatible with Core 2 Duo MacBooks. That's gonna piss a lot of people off lol
    Wait is it going to be compatible with Core2Duo MacBook Pros or just not the MacBook.

The thing I am looking forward to the most is the air play can't wait to easily use Xcode on my 42" tv

just downloaded the imessges beta,loving it,can't wait for this os

Just looked and it seams that the Core2Duo is supported it is the video card that they are not supporting anymore. They are dropping support for the GMA 950 and x3100 chipsets I have the Nvidia so I should be fine.

any free upgrade ?

any free upgrade from lion?

any free upgrade from lion? very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    Windows 8
    has the worst UI I've ever seen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast