+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple 'Asks' For Permission to Sue Kodak

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Apple 'Asks' For Permission to Sue Kodak

You know you've become a litigious company when you go to court in order to get permission to go to court again. That's essentially what Apple is doing today. And it may not end up being a Kodak moment for the company Apple is trying to sue.

As it turns out, Apple still has it in for Kodak - the bankrupt juggernaut that was once the biggest and wealthiest name in photography. But since the company filed for bankruptcy, it can't simply be sued in the same manner as another solvent company. As a result, Apple is seeking permission from a judge to file suit against Eastman Kodak.

The reason? You guess it - alleged patent infringement. According to Bloomberg, Apple says Kodak is infringing on patents that cover technologies used in printers, digital cameras and even digital picture frames.

Now you may be wondering what good will come of Apple suing a company that is bankrupt. And that's a good question. For now, all we know is that Apple doesn't need any cash. But the legal eagles in Cupertino want to make a point - and an example - out of those who purportedly trample on Apple's intellectual property.

Although Apple's lawyers are making the claim that bankruptcy law doesn't expressly restrict the filing of infringement suits against a company in court protection, “Apple requests express authority from this court before it initiates the actions out of an abundance of caution.”

Source: Bloomberg

Thanks

"Hey guys! Mind if I sue you some? I know you're going out of business and all. I thought the legal process would go smoother if I hit you while you were down. Eh? Good idea, am I right? Kodak? You aren't mad are you? Eh? Come on! We are still friends!" #OneRottonApple

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok, so kodak can sue (and is suying) Apple and Apple can not fight back??? BTW, what is Kodak??

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZeRo-cOoL View Post
    ok, so kodak can sue (and is suying) Apple and Apple can not fight back??? BTW, what is Kodak??

"What is kodak".. wow someone is obsessed with apple. You must be one of those people that nobody wants to be friends with if that is how you respond to situations.

**mod edit: language**
    Last edited by Simon; 02-15-2012 at 02:50 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Stories like these make me want to pirate apps instead of give money to apple for them.
    Last edited by lfecefl; 02-15-2012 at 10:44 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Isn't Kodak going out of business anyways? Why sue them when they're down?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    Isn't Kodak going out of business anyways? Why sue them when they're down?
    Smack your forehead while saying duh. It will all make sense then.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default It kind of sucks because
    Kodak invented digital photography technology and yet there it is on all of Apple i products. That should be worth something right? I'm getting more and more annoyed with Apple, but their products are so damn good.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by pete.heat View Post

"What is kodak".. wow someone is obsessed with apple. You must be one of those people that nobody wants to be friends with if that is how you respond to situations.

**mod edit: language**

I LIKE!
    Last edited by Simon; 02-15-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,354 Times in 1,307 Posts

Honestly if I didn't enjoy my iPhone this much I would boycott apple products. Seriously though, if apple were to be successful in getting rid of all the competition, only the wealthiest will be able to afford anything apple. Maybe the world population that owns an idevice should band together and sue apple for suing to much. The company needs to be renamed Suepple

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Quit Trolling
    Quote Originally Posted by lfecefl View Post
    Stories like these make me want to pirate apps instead of give money to apple for them.
    Before you Apple haters start jumping on the band wagon, find out the facts. Kodak had a non-disclosure agreement with Apple on some patents when Kodak and Apple worked together years ago. With Kodak now going bankrupt, the non-disclosure would eventually become null and void, and the patent technology Apple had with Kodak would be made public.

This is a preemptive protective measure for patents Apple owns or partially owns from being made public or sold off after the bankruptcy, rather than anything against Eastman Kodak directly.

But does that matter? No, because you hate apple and have to throw in your useless 2 cents worth of stupidity without doing a little research!

Maybe Michael Essany should do some research too before writing a blatantly slanted story just to rile people up.
    Last edited by jbardi; 02-15-2012 at 01:31 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Good God apple is a bunch of cry baby (mod edit: language).
    Last edited by Orby; 02-15-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: No need for that kind of language.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
    Before you Apple haters start jumping on the band wagon, find out the facts. Kodak had a non-disclosure agreement with Apple on some patents when Kodak and Apple worked together years ago. With Kodak now going bankrupt, the non-disclosure would eventually become null and void, and the patent technology Apple had with Kodak would be made public.

This is a preemptive protective measure for patents Apple owns or partially owns from being made public or sold off after the bankruptcy, rather than anything against Eastman Kodak directly.

But does that matter? No, because you hate apple and have to throw in your useless 2 cents worth of stupidity without doing a little research!

Maybe Michael Essany should do some research too before writing a blatantly slanted story just to rile people up.
    And you just threw you're worthless 2 cents in to

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZeRo-cOoL View Post
    Here is my interpretation of Kodak...... disposable cameras.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teej1410 View Post
    +1 and cheap plastic printers!

Thanks

Default Someone has to set things straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by amoamare View Post
    And you just threw you're worthless 2 cents in to
    Jbardi seems to be the only one making sense right now. You have to be an idiot to think Apple is suing to get money out of a bankrupt company. The lawyers fees alone make that cost prohibitive. If you knew anything about the upcoming Apple Products, there were 3 in the cue before Steve Jobs passed away. The first was a revolution in education (notice the new Textbook ibooks). The second was a Television (yet to be seen). The last was a revolution in photography and possibly lenses.

I wonder if there is a connection between photography, shared patents, and Kodak in relation to Apple. Jbardi clearly has had the most valid thing to say on this thread. Furthermore, amoamare, do you just like to hear yourself talk? Wtf is the point of your comment. Go to sleep.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsolman View Post
    Smack your forehead while saying duh. It will all make sense then.
    Brilliant! Just brilliant! Too funny mate.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The way I see it is that young generation programmers and technology students aren't going to be able to invent or make anything because they might be infringing Apple's property. There should not be a law allowing companies to sued each other for infringement, of course that doesn't mean that a company can just make an exact copy from some other product.
    example: if im inventing a new type of technology and somebody else is doing the same at some other place and that person patent that technology that means i can't use it, fucx up...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Apple wanted to change everything, so they re-made the world in 5 days just to spite and then sued God for patent infringements!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teej1410 View Post
    Duh, it all make sense now! I thought it was something more important... Thanks anyways