+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tim Cook Explains Apple TV Hobby Claim, Hints at Apple HDTV

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Tim Cook Explains Apple TV Hobby Claim, Hints at Apple HDTV

Tim Cook spoke at the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference and explained why Apple considers Apple TV a “hobby.”

In terms of existing product, we sold just shy of 3 million Apple TVs in the past year. It's very cool product and I can't live without it. We sold 1.4 million last quarter. It's clearly ramping, but the reality -- the reason we call it a hobby -- we don't want to send a message to our shareholders that we think the market for it is the size of our other businesses. The Mac, the iPad, the iPod, the iPhone. We don't want to send a signal that we think the length of that stool is equal to the others. That's why we call it a hobby.— Cook
    Apple’s “hobby” mentality extends into advertising, and marketing as well. When was the last time anyone saw an Apple TV ad running on network television? When was the last time another retailer bragged about stocking Apple TVs? Still, Apple’s hobby sold more units than most tablet manufacturers did tablets during last year.

Cook’s most telling words for the future of Apple TV and a possible Apple HDTV come after espousing about the barriers facing the Apple TV.

So, with Apple TV however, despite the barriers in that market, for those of us who use it, we've always thought there was something there. If we kept following our intuition and kept pulling the string, we might find something that was larger. For those people that have it right now, the customer satisfaction is off the chart. We need something that could go more main-market for it to be a serious category. — Cook
    Perhaps I’m looking to much into that, but an Apple HDTV would fit nicely into the “main-market” category.

Source: iClarified

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Sometimes I can't tell the size of Apples stools apart from each other...

Thanks

they're still useless without xbmc

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

1) make it 1080p
    2) make it run more apps (inc. xbmc)
    3) profit

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

XBMC is a must if you own one. The mirroring from the 4s and implementation of iTunes match really does make this "hobby" a very functional device. It would be nice to see some applications on it though.

Thanks

The Apple TV is awesome but only once it has ATVFlash or XBMC on it. I use mine everyday to stream Movies and TV Shows from my Server and its great but if it wasn't jail-broken then it would be useless for me.