+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NoSleep Lets Your MacBook Run Even When Closed

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by KartRacer It still mind-numbingly STUPID that there is no setting in System Preferences that allows you to turn off the internal display when a MacBook is connected
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    It still mind-numbingly STUPID that there is no setting in System Preferences that allows you to turn off the internal display when a MacBook is connected to an external display. Having to close the lid, wake it back up with a mouse or keyboard, and then open the lid back up is extremely annoying. Windows 7 does this no problem on the exact same hardware and there is zero excuse OS X doesn't have this, especially with the beautiful displays Apple sells. I could do this in XP and I know Terminal hacks are available but there's no excuse for that. I hate that about Lion!
    So you want to connect your MacBook to an external display, leaving the lid open but not having the MacBook screen on?

Solution:

Press the 'brightness' key until the screen goes off.
    It takes about 2 seconds to go from full brightness to off.
    Quicker than going into the system preferences and switching off the screen if there was an option to do so there.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 735 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by recognition View Post
    So you want to connect your MacBook to an external display, leaving the lid open but not having the MacBook screen on?

Solution:

Quicker than going into the system preferences and switching off the screen if there was an option to do so there.
    That is different. That doesn't turn the display/screen off. That simply turns off the back-light while the screen continues to display content. It uses more power that way.

Green Apple
    Thanks

^^
    Yup, that is true, but... If someone were to be using an external display, they might aswell plug the MacBook into the mains at the same time, They don't exactly need to be portable in this setup

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Solution:
    When you have both the internal and external display active you have to split the GPU RAM between them. I don't want that. When I play steam games it impacts performance in a massive way and I don't want my internal screen even active at all if I'm not looking at it. Backlight on or not. Besides, it's literally a single toggle or check box from being fixed. You're "solution" isn't a solution at all, it's an apology for Apple being completely retarded. Even with both screens on, Mission Control is literally completely useless because neither screen is independent of one another. If you change the desktop you are looking at on one screen, it changes on the other. DUMB.

If Windows XP could make something so simple so easily, then there's no reason OS X can't. It's complete ******** to not have this option. Windows 7 automatically turns off the internal display when I plug my monitor cable in, there's nothing I have to do. It's set in the display preferences to do that automatically and there is absolutely no reason OS X can't do this. None. Apple needs to fix this glaringly stupid problem and give ME control of my computer and stop making dumbass decisions to show off "features" they add.

^^
    Yup, that is true, but... If someone were to be using an external display, they might aswell plug the MacBook into the mains at the same time, They don't exactly need to be portable in this setup
    Mine is plugged into the wall, I don't want the screen active at all and there is no option to do this. Literally every other OS in the world has this feature but Apple removed it when making Lion for some stupid reason. This feature has been available for over 10 years, why does OS X not have it? It's STUPID not to.
    Last edited by KartRacer; 02-19-2012 at 04:05 PM.
    HK-Z on Game Center

Green Apple
    Thanks

When you have both the internal and external display active you have to split the GPU RAM between them. I don't want that. When I play steam games it impacts performance in a massive way and I don't want my internal screen even active at all if I'm not looking at it. Backlight on or not. Besides, it's literally a single toggle or check box from being fixed. You're "solution" isn't a solution at all, it's an apology for Apple being completely retarded. Even with both screens on, Mission Control is literally completely useless because neither screen is independent of one another. If you change the desktop you are looking at on one screen, it changes on the other. DUMB.

If Windows XP could make something so simple so easily, then there's no reason OS X can't. It's complete ******** to not have this option. Windows 7 automatically turns off the internal display when I plug my monitor cable in, there's nothing I have to do. It's set in the display preferences to do that automatically and there is absolutely no reason OS X can't do this. None. Apple needs to fix this glaringly stupid problem and give ME control of my computer and stop making dumbass decisions to show off "features" they add.

Mine is plugged into the wall, I don't want the screen active at all and there is no option to do this. Literally every other OS in the world has this feature but Apple removed it when making Lion for some stupid reason. This feature has been available for over 10 years, why does OS X not have it? It's STUPID not to.
    Thanks for the explanation, I can see now why that is frustrating for you.
    I don't know why Apple have chosen not to have a feature like this but I'm sure they hadn't just 'forgotten' to put a something like that into OSX. There must be a reason for it. We all know Steve Jobs had an explanation for everything he did or didn't do with Apple devices and software.

My only guess would be that a MacBooks main purpose is mobile computing, hence being portable and all.
    Wanting to plug it into an external display and run graphic processor heavy games on it probably isn't what Apple intended it to be used for. We all know you don't buy a Mac to play games on. So having a function to disable the screen would seem rather pointless. But saying that I can't imagine it would take much to implement it.

Thanks

Thanks for the explanation, I can see now why that is frustrating for you.
    I don't know why Apple have chosen not to have a feature like this but I'm sure they hadn't just 'forgotten' to put a something like that into OSX. There must be a reason for it. We all know Steve Jobs had an explanation for everything he did or didn't do with Apple devices and software.

My only guess would be that a MacBooks main purpose is mobile computing, hence being portable and all.
    Wanting to plug it into an external display and run graphic processor heavy games on it probably isn't what Apple intended it to be used for.
    Even Steve can't explain away having this basic feature of computing missing. Especially after making ever current display function with Thunderbolt, which was introduced with MacBooks and added to the iMac afterwards. They intended you to plug these new monitors into a portable computer, the MacBook, and having the option to disable the internal display while you have it plugged into a Cinema Display is a no-brainer. They specifically made the new Cinema Displays to take advantage of this, why they removed that option completely is just dumb. There is no good reason not to have it, especially since Mission Control behaves so badly while using two displays. I said it in my original comment that this was really frustrating since they make such beautiful displays built specifically for the MacBooks. Hell, a MacBook Air was just begging to have Thunderbolt so you could plug it into a Cinema Display while at home and unplug it for a perfect road computer. Even then the MBA struggles greatly to output a video signal to the Cinema Display and there's no way you get a smooth experience with both displays working since the GPU power is split between them. AnandTech made mention of this in his great review of the Air and the Thunderbolt display. It's just really frustrating to have such a bad experience on an Apple product, that rarely ever happens!
    HK-Z on Game Center

Green Apple
    Thanks

Even Steve can't explain away having this basic feature of computing missing. Especially after making ever current display function with Thunderbolt, which was introduced with MacBooks and added to the iMac afterwards. They intended you to plug these new monitors into a portable computer, the MacBook, and having the option to disable the internal display while you have it plugged into a Cinema Display is a no-brainer. They specifically made the new Cinema Displays to take advantage of this, why they removed that option completely is just dumb. There is no good reason not to have it, especially since Mission Control behaves so badly while using two displays. I said it in my original comment that this was really frustrating since they make such beautiful displays built specifically for the MacBooks. Hell, a MacBook Air was just begging to have Thunderbolt so you could plug it into a Cinema Display while at home and unplug it for a perfect road computer. Even then the MBA struggles greatly to output a video signal to the Cinema Display and there's no way you get a smooth experience with both displays working since the GPU power is split between them. AnandTech made mention of this in his great review of the Air and the Thunderbolt display. It's just really frustrating to have such a bad experience on an Apple product, that rarely ever happens!
    I'm starting to come round to your way of thinking!
    I haven't had any experience with a Thunderbolt display (I only plug my Air into my Tv via VGA to watch films online or films that won't play through iTunes) but if it struggles with Apples own cinema displays then that is a worry! Aren't they meant to be able to 'daisy chain' multiple Thunderbolt monitors/devices together? Maybe only the top end MacBook Pros can handle that?

Hopefully when Mountain Lion comes out with the AirPlay mirroring function it will be a smooth experience and work with NoSleep, Otherwise I'll be a bit disappointed!

Thanks

Aren't they meant to be able to 'daisy chain' multiple Thunderbolt monitors/devices together? Maybe only the top end MacBook Pros can handle that?

Hopefully when Mountain Lion comes out with the AirPlay mirroring function it will be a smooth experience and work with NoSleep, Otherwise I'll be a bit disappointed!
    Multiple devices yes, multiple monitors no. The GPU in the Air is nowhere near powerful enough to drive one 27" ACD (the only one with Thunderbolt!) and it's own internal display, much less more than one exteranl monitor. It's due to the chipset having less "lanes" to send data than the more powerful MBPs, and having a weak *** integrated Intel GPU (which is utter garbage and will still be on Ivy Bridge). Being able to disable the internal MBA display would make for a much smoother experience and it wouldn't hurt a single thing on the MBPs. I can't stand the behavior that Mission Control has when you are using the internal and an external display. It moves the internal display across desktops whenever you switch between them on the external monitor. There is absolutely no usefulness in that behavior, especially when you have a full screen app open on one of the other ones. I watch MKVs of recorded Formula 1 races and when they are full screen, you literally cannot do anything else on your computer because Mission Control will change the full screen app on my TV at the same time I change what I'm looking at on the internal screen. I have a GPU more than capable enough of having both screens on and showing multiple desktops without it switching them on both displays concurrently. This destroys the usefulness of Mission Control completely. I also want to have all the GPU power available to the screen I'm using, and Apple has a section on the MacBook page about gaming, so they are serious about gaming. It's nowhere near the level of performance Windows has (even on the same hardware) but they are clearly trying to have that capability even in a limited sense. There really is no reason to not have the ability to turn off a display inside System Preferences and have it perform that action when you plug and unplug a display from the computer. Windows 7 handles this absolutely perfectly! If you don't want to use that feature, leave it be, but having to use Terminal hacks or do the rigmarole that is necessary to control something as simple as what display to use is just plain lazy and dumb. There's already a setting for what display the status bar is on, why not which one you want to use exclusively? I just don't get it.
    HK-Z on Game Center

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123