+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NoSleep Lets Your MacBook Run Even When Closed

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by bigbaba Obviously I was too discreet with my link. Here is an apple kb link: Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed)
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaba View Post
    Obviously I was too discreet with my link. Here is an apple kb link:

Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

You may all now remove the tin foil hats
    But how about when you want to use the computer and not an external display or various accessories? That is where NoSleep shines.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cellular's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post
    You mean there is no built in OS feature for this? Wtf?
    -Luke
    Because its not windows

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    Clearly I know nothing. Ill keep the facts to myself next time.

Oh BTW here is Apple Care phone number i hope you purchased support and they cover stupidity.

1-800-MY-APPLE
    At least you know that you "know nothing" it's a big step in the right direction.
    One thing though, when using the word "facts" in that context you should put quotes around it.

You probably should take the time to gain a bit more knowledge about computers and not just blurt out what one of your buddies mentioned once while you guys were at the water cooler. Not sure that makes you qualified to go around fear mongering.

Oh and I'll just repost this article by Apple (size 5 fonts bold) that someone else posted:
    Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

InsomniaX does this and has been around quite a long time, just sayin' :P

If you use your MacBook as a base computer but like to attach it to an external display, then you will appreciate this application.
    No you wont. I quite frequently use my Macbook Pro in desktop mode with a monitor, you just have your keyboard and monitor plugged in, close the lid and wait a couple of seconds. Having this Nosleep or InsomniaX turned on offer absolutely NO BENEFIT at all.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baRRy boRRis View Post
    InsomniaX does this and has been around quite a long time, just sayin' :P

No you wont. I quite frequently use my Macbook Pro in desktop mode with a monitor, you just have your keyboard and monitor plugged in, close the lid and wait a couple of seconds. Having this Nosleep or InsomniaX turned on offer absolutely NO BENEFIT at all.
    Well it does offer benefit if you don't have an external monitor and keyboard plugged in...

Say if you want to run iTunes with airplay to your hi-fi speakers but don't want your macbook open. You can still use the remote App on iPhone or iPad to control it.

and I think common sense will prevail when it comes to processor intensive activities, If your macbook gets very hot when open, running some processor heavy applications and your worried it might overheat when you close the lid... don't close it then! problem solved... Nobodies holding a gun to your head!
    Some people forget they have a choice in what they do lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

been closing my pc laptop for the past 5 years

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

InsomniaX is better in my opinion. Does the same thing, has a cool status bar icon, and makes a noise when enabling/disabling no sleep mode.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c14rlf View Post
    been closing my pc laptop for the past 5 years
    Same.....I cannot believe Apple would create a laptop so poorly designed that it cannot stay properly
    cooled if the lid is closed. No way.
    El Zurdo

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    At least you know that you "know nothing" it's a big step in the right direction.
    One thing though, when using the word "facts" in that context you should put quotes around it.

You probably should take the time to gain a bit more knowledge about computers and not just blurt out what one of your buddies mentioned once while you guys were at the water cooler. Not sure that makes you qualified to go around fear mongering.

Oh and I'll just repost this article by Apple (size 5 fonts bold) that someone else posted:
    LMAO. At least I read the links I put. Read what you sent me and you will see that your not to bright. As for my spelling I didnt know this is a spelling bee. This is a forum, NOT A classroom but sometimes i feel as if it is. Huge difference between closed clamshell while using another display and taking it with you while your downloading a movie or w.e.

BTW

IDK why your being rude? I'm purely giving advice that had happened to me just like that other dudes macbook. And got it replaced. So coming on here and seeing this.. Hell yeah im going to warn people. But if i'm wrong or you think im wrong, you do not need to be an *******. You can just say it in a nice way. OKay buddy. No one likes an *******.

MMI again disappointed in you. I legit cannot trust anything you say anymore. This isnt the first bad idea app you posted. Most recent one was enable Trim on SSD's.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 548 Posts

"The usefulness of NoSleep is open for discussion because if you want to let your computer run while you are trying to sleep, it is simple enough to merely reduce your backlight brightness to zero while the computer finishes what it has to do."

I've wanted to be able to close the lid and still stream movies to my Apple TV. Will definitely be checking this out. Thanks

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MiguelL. View Post
    I agree with Luke, why isn't that a built in OS feature? I can already do this with my Windows PC.
    Apple's modus operandi has always been to give us what they want, not what we want. It's hardly surprising that you need to install a 3rd party application to do something that should be present in the base operating system.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

You mean that there isn't a simple option to disable this? Lame. Windows used to default to "Do Nothing" for the lid sensor but changed it to enter sleep by default after power savings became a hot topic. This always annoys me because it is very easy to tell it to sleep when you want it to sleep and making that the default allows manufacturers to start making designs that will overheat if run while closed. If I'm downloading a large file, I might have to move the notebook. I don't want to be forced to do that awkwardly with an open notebook just because of some stupid setting that will interrupt anc cancel my download just because I closed the lid. Similarly, if I'm *only* downloading or listening to music and I happen to be on battery power, why would I want the display active at all unless I *want* to needlessly wear out the battery? I should be able to close the lid and continue downloading and listening. I remember when many laptops 10 years ago had speakers that would remain exposed when closed for this very reason.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    LMAO. At least I read the links I put. Read what you sent me and you will see that your not to bright. As for my spelling I didnt know this is a spelling bee. This is a forum, NOT A classroom but sometimes i feel as if it is. Huge difference between closed clamshell while using another display and taking it with you while your downloading a movie or w.e.

BTW

IDK why your being rude? I'm purely giving advice that had happened to me just like that other dudes macbook. And got it replaced. So coming on here and seeing this.. Hell yeah im going to warn people. But if i'm wrong or you think im wrong, you do not need to be an *******. You can just say it in a nice way. OKay buddy. No one likes an *******.

MMI again disappointed in you. I legit cannot trust anything you say anymore. This isnt the first bad idea app you posted. Most recent one was enable Trim on SSD's.
    Caps lock, size 5, and bold fonts make you look like a hysterical maniac... and things like "...hope they cover stupidity." aren't exactly friendly statements.

Oh, and it's "I don't know why you're being rude."

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    Apple's modus operandi has always been to give us what they want, not what we want. It's hardly surprising that you need to install a 3rd party application to do something that should be present in the base operating system.
    I must admit it was exceptionally difficult to click that link, download the app and install it. Disappointed it took 40 seconds out of my hectic day. /sarcasm

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by willryan42 View Post
    Uhhh... I always thought it was a terrible idea to have your computer running with the lid closed. The majority of heat is vented through the keyboard, so there's a good chance that your macbook can overheat if you use this. On top of that, it's probably not a good idea to transport your computer while it's running, but that's just me.
    Well this is really only used for music, I for example use my laptop with the lid closed while on the plane just because I have no need for the screen to be open.. It's not like I'm running photoshop in the background so there's no strain on the CPU and not that much heat is given off. So now you know.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is a built in feature. Why does everyone keep saying its not? It's called "closed-lid operation" or clamshell mode.You don't need an external display or anything, it just requires that you have an external keyboard or mouse to wake the computer from sleep after closing the lid.

This is just a convenient app that allows you to run the computer closed-lid without any interruptions. Bad idea, and not useful for many people, but it's nothing new.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bigbaba's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    But how about when you want to use the computer and not an external display or various accessories? That is where NoSleep shines.
    I was kinda trying to ward of the inbreds who were bashing you for posting this article by showing how using a portable mac with the lid closed is actually an idea supported by apple and won't cause your mac to explode.

You're just smooth dude.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    OKAY DON'T DO THIS
    There is another program just like this a while back I'm sure it's not gone yet

the problem with these programs is that your Mac gets incredibly HOT in less then 10Min because the wind current flows from the keyboard out the back of the Mac and when the MacBook is closed it cannot cool itself properly leading to overheating and eventually killing things like hard drive fans motherboard
    The keyboard is completely sealed underneath. No air flows through it. Where you got that from I don't know, I've had to replace my top case multiple times (on a 2009 17" MBP and it was eventually replaced with a 2011 model) and I put better thermal paste on the CPU and GPU in my 2011 MBP and there is nowhere for air to enter through the keyboard.

It still mind-numbingly STUPID that there is no setting in System Preferences that allows you to turn off the internal display when a MacBook is connected to an external display. Having to close the lid, wake it back up with a mouse or keyboard, and then open the lid back up is extremely annoying. Windows 7 does this no problem on the exact same hardware and there is zero excuse OS X doesn't have this, especially with the beautiful displays Apple sells. I could do this in XP and I know Terminal hacks are available but there's no excuse for that. I hate that about Lion!
    Last edited by KartRacer; 02-16-2012 at 08:48 PM.
    HK-Z on Game Center

szr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    You mean that there isn't a simple option to disable this? Lame. Windows used to default to "Do Nothing" for the lid sensor but changed it to enter sleep by default after power savings became a hot topic. This always annoys me because it is very easy to tell it to sleep when you want it to sleep and making that the default allows manufacturers to start making designs that will overheat if run while closed. If I'm downloading a large file, I might have to move the notebook. I don't want to be forced to do that awkwardly with an open notebook just because of some stupid setting that will interrupt anc cancel my download just because I closed the lid. Similarly, if I'm *only* downloading or listening to music and I happen to be on battery power, why would I want the display active at all unless I *want* to needlessly wear out the battery? I should be able to close the lid and continue downloading and listening. I remember when many laptops 10 years ago had speakers that would remain exposed when closed for this very reason.
    Agreed. To me, closing the lid on my laptop (which causes the screen itself to turn off), is like turning off the monitor on a desktop. I like having the option of being able to sleep my laptop (especially before leaving on a trip), but when it's sitting on a desk and it's actually doing something that doesn't require the screen to be on, I find it preferable to just close the lid, without the task being interrupted. Same goes for when I want to move to another room. I find it difficult to fathom how Apple could not have anticipated such a usage. Not everyone wants their system to sleep when closing the lid. This is why it's an option in any other half-decent OS released in at least the last decade.
    Last edited by szr; 02-17-2012 at 09:15 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

PS I was talking about Laptops in my previous posts just realized this is not about laptops