+ Reply
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple Files Lawsuit Against Motorola Over Use of Qualcomm Technology

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,899
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 122 Times in 107 Posts

    Default Apple Files Lawsuit Against Motorola Over Use of Qualcomm Technology


    Apple seems to be head hunting when it comes to legal matters recently. The company filed a lawsuit against Samsung
    over auto correct as reported previously and now another lawsuit against Motorola over their use of Qualcomm technology emerges. According to Apple, Motorola seems to have breached a contract pertaining to their use of a Qualcomm patent license. The Cupertino California company is attempting to protect itself from being sued over the issue in Germany by filing a lawsuit in the United States.

    It seems a bit absurd but Apple is basically suing Motorola over their claims that Apple is illegally using Qualcomm’s baseband chip. In the lawsuit, Apple is asking to ban Motorola from being able to sue Apple over the use of the chip. For those of you who are interested in reading the full lawsuit filing, you can do so by clicking here. Below you can find a portion from the lawsuit filing describing the exact demands:

    Permanent injunctive relief restraining Motorola and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, agents, employees, servants, licensors, successors, assigns, and all those acting in concert with them, from prosecuting patent infringement proceedings against Apple based on Apple’s use of the Qualcomm MDM6610 chip and other Qualcomm components licensed under Motorola patents in any forum other than this Court
    It seems that the core of this lawsuit filing is from Apple’s response to Motorola for attempting to stop sales of Apple’s 3G products in the country of Germany. It seems like today’s tech giants are focused on expanding their patent portfolio amongst other legal documentation and then turning around and suing one another for large sums of money. Many are beginning to question what things would be like if these companies spent their time trying to innovate and help one another instead but the situation continues to grow worse instead.

    Source: Reuters

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand

  2. #2
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    77
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Google's putting the heat on Apple, pathetic! I'm sick of all this suing which is stunting all innovation in the mobile market.

  3. #3
    *****Bonzo***** Sanady361's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    1,760
    Thanks
    1,337
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 737 Posts

    Lawsuits, lawsuits, lawsuits.
    My latest theme - -

  4. #4
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    197
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts

    Lame

  5. #5
    Green Apple leopodie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts

    pfff first they sue evryone and than motorolla succeeds and they suddenly deserve our sympathy?
    pathetic

  6. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,112
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 94 Times in 66 Posts

    Apple. Innovation through Litigation and Annihilation

  7. #7
    My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    719
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 65 Times in 53 Posts

    ZZ z z zzz ......

  8. #8
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Cellular's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    116
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ceramicwhite View Post
    Google's putting the heat on Apple, pathetic! I'm sick of all this suing which is stunting all innovation in the mobile market.
    Well to be fair their isn't much innovation left...the only thing left is for them to make my iPod turn water into gas :/ the only thing we will see is just more internal upgrades and this is why it's bad to think in apples little box of restrictions

  9. #9
    Green Apple DQEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    What is the legal system coming to...

  10. #10
    My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    579
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 63 Times in 45 Posts

    Well.....Id say they spend a great amount of time looking for and creating new innovations. The legal team has nothing to do with research and engineering. The time spent on one has nothing to do with the other unless their attorneys are also engineering and coding for them....that'd be a site.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bklyn NY !!
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 62 Times in 51 Posts

    If all of us (Anroid, iOS, users and website owners) are sick of these lawsuits and want them to stop, why dont the owners of websits ban together, organize its users, sign a giant online petition and get congress or some other COMPETENT agency involved to put an end to these patent abuses.

    If apple had their way, they'd have a complete monopoly on smart phones and tablets. why should we the consumers be slaves to one company offering only one product?

  12. #12
    Super Galactic Moderator Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Omicron Persei Eight
    Posts
    5,698
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 576 Times in 526 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    If all of us (Anroid, iOS, users and website owners) are sick of these lawsuits and want them to stop, why dont the owners of websits ban together, organize its users, sign a giant online petition and get congress or some other COMPETENT agency involved to put an end to these patent abuses.

    If apple had their way, they'd have a complete monopoly on smart phones and tablets. why should we the consumers be slaves to one company offering only one product?
    Such a statement belies the truth and yet states the overly obvious. Amazon, Samsung, Motorola, RIM, Dell, Nokia, HTC, HP/Palm, ZTE, Huawei, etc. would all have a monopoly for themselves were they to have their way. Apple is no different. Hell, if I had my way, I'd be the sole shareholder of the private company with that monopoly. Unfortunately, life doesn't work that way (much to my pocketbook's despair). Fortunately though, all those companies sell smartphones and/or tablets. The consumer is neither a slave nor trapped by any real stretch-- a great deal of choice exists in the major consumer markets around the globe.

    Also, trying to stop litigation in a tight field with multitudes of vaguely-worded patents like this would be akin to stopping the rain from falling...

    Spending $100 million in a year on legal fees to win a permanent... say, 2.25% of Apple's gross iPhone sales (last quarter that'd be 2.25% of 37 million iPhones... at $650 per unit including subsidy, that's over half a billion in free money) or five to ten dollars off the nose of every Android device sold (roughly a million devices a day globally, so between four hundred fifty million to nine hundred million per ninety-day quarter)? The math strongly favors grinding it out until you find a court willing to give you the keys to the kingdom. Contrarily, the math favors the defendants in these cases for the same reason. Apple will gladly pay their lawyers 100 million a year to prevent handing their competitors 550 mil per quarter.

    Until it's more profitable to sell phones exclusively rather than try to cash in on legal action, we'll continue to see legal action (especially now with all parties insulted, incensed, and trying to protect their assets).

  13. #13
    *T*
    *T* is offline
    Grumpy *T*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Turn around slowly...
    Posts
    670
    Thanks
    122
    Thanked 48 Times in 39 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Such a statement belies the truth and yet states the overly obvious. Amazon, Samsung, Motorola, RIM, Dell, Nokia, HTC, HP/Palm, ZTE, Huawei, etc. would all have a monopoly for themselves were they to have their way. Apple is no different. Hell, if I had my way, I'd be the sole shareholder of the private company with that monopoly. Unfortunately, life doesn't work that way (much to my pocketbook's despair). Fortunately though, all those companies sell smartphones and/or tablets. The consumer is neither a slave nor trapped by any real stretch-- a great deal of choice exists in the major consumer markets around the globe.

    Also, trying to stop litigation in a tight field with multitudes of vaguely-worded patents like this would be akin to stopping the rain from falling...

    Spending $100 million in a year on legal fees to win a permanent... say, 2.25% of Apple's gross iPhone sales (last quarter that'd be 2.25% of 37 million iPhones... at $650 per unit including subsidy, that's over half a billion in free money) or five to ten dollars off the nose of every Android device sold (roughly a million devices a day globally, so between four hundred fifty million to nine hundred million per ninety-day quarter)? The math strongly favors grinding it out until you find a court willing to give you the keys to the kingdom. Contrarily, the math favors the defendants in these cases for the same reason. Apple will gladly pay their lawyers 100 million a year to prevent handing their competitors 550 mil per quarter.

    Until it's more profitable to sell phones exclusively rather than try to cash in on legal action, we'll continue to see legal action (especially now with all parties insulted, incensed, and trying to protect their assets).
    Agreed!

  14. #14
    What's Jailbreak? nitehawkz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    Agreed!
    Can't agree more!

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts