+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Files Lawsuit Against Motorola Over Use of Qualcomm Technology

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Files Lawsuit Against Motorola Over Use of Qualcomm Technology

Apple seems to be head hunting when it comes to legal matters recently. The company filed a lawsuit against Samsung
    over auto correct as reported previously and now another lawsuit against Motorola over their use of Qualcomm technology emerges. According to Apple, Motorola seems to have breached a contract pertaining to their use of a Qualcomm patent license. The Cupertino California company is attempting to protect itself from being sued over the issue in Germany by filing a lawsuit in the United States.

It seems a bit absurd but Apple is basically suing Motorola over their claims that Apple is illegally using Qualcomm’s baseband chip. In the lawsuit, Apple is asking to ban Motorola from being able to sue Apple over the use of the chip. For those of you who are interested in reading the full lawsuit filing, you can do so by clicking here. Below you can find a portion from the lawsuit filing describing the exact demands:

Permanent injunctive relief restraining Motorola and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, agents, employees, servants, licensors, successors, assigns, and all those acting in concert with them, from prosecuting patent infringement proceedings against Apple based on Apple’s use of the Qualcomm MDM6610 chip and other Qualcomm components licensed under Motorola patents in any forum other than this Court
    It seems that the core of this lawsuit filing is from Apple’s response to Motorola for attempting to stop sales of Apple’s 3G products in the country of Germany. It seems like today’s tech giants are focused on expanding their patent portfolio amongst other legal documentation and then turning around and suing one another for large sums of money. Many are beginning to question what things would be like if these companies spent their time trying to innovate and help one another instead but the situation continues to grow worse instead.

Source: Reuters

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Google's putting the heat on Apple, pathetic! I'm sick of all this suing which is stunting all innovation in the mobile market.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 737 Posts

Lawsuits, lawsuits, lawsuits.
    My latest theme - -

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Lame

Thanks

pfff first they sue evryone and than motorolla succeeds and they suddenly deserve our sympathy?
    pathetic

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Apple. Innovation through Litigation and Annihilation

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

ZZ z z zzz ......

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cellular's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ceramicwhite View Post
    Google's putting the heat on Apple, pathetic! I'm sick of all this suing which is stunting all innovation in the mobile market.
    Well to be fair their isn't much innovation left...the only thing left is for them to make my iPod turn water into gas :/ the only thing we will see is just more internal upgrades and this is why it's bad to think in apples little box of restrictions

Thanks

What is the legal system coming to...

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Well.....Id say they spend a great amount of time looking for and creating new innovations. The legal team has nothing to do with research and engineering. The time spent on one has nothing to do with the other unless their attorneys are also engineering and coding for them....that'd be a site.

Banned
    Thanks

If all of us (Anroid, iOS, users and website owners) are sick of these lawsuits and want them to stop, why dont the owners of websits ban together, organize its users, sign a giant online petition and get congress or some other COMPETENT agency involved to put an end to these patent abuses.

If apple had their way, they'd have a complete monopoly on smart phones and tablets. why should we the consumers be slaves to one company offering only one product?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    If all of us (Anroid, iOS, users and website owners) are sick of these lawsuits and want them to stop, why dont the owners of websits ban together, organize its users, sign a giant online petition and get congress or some other COMPETENT agency involved to put an end to these patent abuses.

If apple had their way, they'd have a complete monopoly on smart phones and tablets. why should we the consumers be slaves to one company offering only one product?
    Such a statement belies the truth and yet states the overly obvious. Amazon, Samsung, Motorola, RIM, Dell, Nokia, HTC, HP/Palm, ZTE, Huawei, etc. would all have a monopoly for themselves were they to have their way. Apple is no different. Hell, if I had my way, I'd be the sole shareholder of the private company with that monopoly. Unfortunately, life doesn't work that way (much to my pocketbook's despair). Fortunately though, all those companies sell smartphones and/or tablets. The consumer is neither a slave nor trapped by any real stretch-- a great deal of choice exists in the major consumer markets around the globe.

Also, trying to stop litigation in a tight field with multitudes of vaguely-worded patents like this would be akin to stopping the rain from falling...

Spending $100 million in a year on legal fees to win a permanent... say, 2.25% of Apple's gross iPhone sales (last quarter that'd be 2.25% of 37 million iPhones... at $650 per unit including subsidy, that's over half a billion in free money) or five to ten dollars off the nose of every Android device sold (roughly a million devices a day globally, so between four hundred fifty million to nine hundred million per ninety-day quarter)? The math strongly favors grinding it out until you find a court willing to give you the keys to the kingdom. Contrarily, the math favors the defendants in these cases for the same reason. Apple will gladly pay their lawyers 100 million a year to prevent handing their competitors 550 mil per quarter.

Until it's more profitable to sell phones exclusively rather than try to cash in on legal action, we'll continue to see legal action (especially now with all parties insulted, incensed, and trying to protect their assets).

*T*
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Such a statement belies the truth and yet states the overly obvious. Amazon, Samsung, Motorola, RIM, Dell, Nokia, HTC, HP/Palm, ZTE, Huawei, etc. would all have a monopoly for themselves were they to have their way. Apple is no different. Hell, if I had my way, I'd be the sole shareholder of the private company with that monopoly. Unfortunately, life doesn't work that way (much to my pocketbook's despair). Fortunately though, all those companies sell smartphones and/or tablets. The consumer is neither a slave nor trapped by any real stretch-- a great deal of choice exists in the major consumer markets around the globe.

Also, trying to stop litigation in a tight field with multitudes of vaguely-worded patents like this would be akin to stopping the rain from falling...

Spending $100 million in a year on legal fees to win a permanent... say, 2.25% of Apple's gross iPhone sales (last quarter that'd be 2.25% of 37 million iPhones... at $650 per unit including subsidy, that's over half a billion in free money) or five to ten dollars off the nose of every Android device sold (roughly a million devices a day globally, so between four hundred fifty million to nine hundred million per ninety-day quarter)? The math strongly favors grinding it out until you find a court willing to give you the keys to the kingdom. Contrarily, the math favors the defendants in these cases for the same reason. Apple will gladly pay their lawyers 100 million a year to prevent handing their competitors 550 mil per quarter.

Until it's more profitable to sell phones exclusively rather than try to cash in on legal action, we'll continue to see legal action (especially now with all parties insulted, incensed, and trying to protect their assets).
    Agreed!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    Agreed!
    Can't agree more!