+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Ends Sales of White MacBook to Schools

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Remember this MacBook? May it rest in peace. A while back, Apple discontinued the sales of the white MacBook; the Apple notebook computer that was slightly cheaper than the MacBook
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Ends Sales of White MacBook to Schools

Remember this MacBook? May it rest in peace.

A while back, Apple discontinued the sales of the white MacBook; the Apple notebook computer that was slightly cheaper than the MacBook Pro with a plastic case and cheaper computer specifications. When they discontinued it, it was removed from the Apple Web site and no longer offered to individual customers. Instead, Apple continued to sell the white MacBook to educational institutions so that teachers would have the proper teaching tools to offer PowerPoint presentations for students to take notes, or other classroom uses.

As of late, Apple has discontinued the sales of the white MacBook to these educational institutions, officially decommissioning it's role in the Apple computer line up. This leaves us with the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air as Apple's notebook computers. It's a sad thought, considering that the MacBook was a great footprint in Apple's notebook computer sales being that it had a price tag of $999 versus the base MacBook Pro at $1199. Now that the MacBook Air has been a great focus of Apple's, it seems to have taken that $999 throne.

The MacBook was, in a way, an outcast from the rest of the Macs in service. Apple has started using aluminum and glass computer bodies as they no longer found an interest in plastic. At this point in time, all of Apple's Macs are made out of aluminum cases. They are much more sleek, nicer in appearance, and more durable. The white MacBook probably won't be missed so much.

Sources: Apple Insider

Thanks
    This was my first Mac ever... I must say that it was a horrible machine.. Always over heated and the white plastic continuously peeled off.. Then again I did own the original when it came out.. But now I'm a happy owner of a 13.3" MacBook Air =D

iPhone? More like MyPhone sTrAnGe mOdS's Avatar
    Thanks

Haha, I had one of these before I got my MacBook Pro. And it definitely got unbearably hot sometimes. But still, it's made by Apple, and it wasn't too bad of a machine. Better than Windows..

8GB iPod Touch 1G: 1.1.1 > 1.1.2 > 1.2 > 2.0 > 2.0.1 > 2.1 > 2.2 > 2.2.1 > 3.0 > 3.0.1 GM RedSn0wed
    16GB iPhone 3G > Sold $375 > iPhone 4: 4.2.8 > 5.0
    32GB iPad: 3.2 > 3.2.1 > Traded For MacBook > Traded + $500 For MacBook Pro

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sTrAnGe mOdS View Post
    Better than Windows..
    Um...RIGHT!

Thanks

I get sad at how much i pay for this piece of c***... You can get 2x better computer running microsoft

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

IMO all apple devices are overpriced bull... With the exception of the iphone/ipod, I dont see the big deal about apple. Their laptops are $1000 for specs you could find in a pc for $400. #Marketing. They are great at it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If you look better just Mac Pro's is overpriced.
    iPhone / iPad / iPod - iOS. iOS better than android. You don't need dual core and 1GB of ram to run Angry Birds.
    Laptops - OS X. Most beautiful OS ever. Trackpad. Even hardware. Can you found 13" laptop (like MBP) with for example 2.8GHz i7 processor? Ummm I don't think so.
    iMac's. Big things. They don't even have their competitors. All other All-in-one is crap. Crappy screens etc.

I think like that - Laptops, phones, tablets, All - in - one ------ Apple
    Desktop PC's - Not Apple. But I'm pretty sure that there's no other that powerful computers with better software??

Thanks

I been workng with PCs and Macs since 1981. I remember DOS V1.1 on the PC and I make my living from working with them now. I make a reasonable amount of money at fixing friends PCs - changing the odd piece of hardware and clearing malware etc.

It used to really annoy me at how smug Apple owners were - I'd used Macs but never in earnest and I couldnt really see the attraction.

About 4 years ago I got my first Apple product, an iPhone. I loved it. A friend of mine used to badger me the whole time about moving on to buy a Mac but I held out.

18 months ago I gave in and bought a MacBook Pro. I am now that smug apple user. My machine runs as fast now as the day I bought it, no anti-malware or AV software has ever been installed on it. Every time I use it I think to myself that I could have bought 3 laptops for what it cost but then I pickup my wife's laptop and cannot believe how slow it is.

I never thought I would ever say but seriously - come over the the dark side!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by attman View Post
    I been workng with PCs and Macs since 1981. I remember DOS V1.1 on the PC and I make my living from working with them now. I make a reasonable amount of money at fixing friends PCs - changing the odd piece of hardware and clearing malware etc.

It used to really annoy me at how smug Apple owners were - I'd used Macs but never in earnest and I couldnt really see the attraction.

About 4 years ago I got my first Apple product, an iPhone. I loved it. A friend of mine used to badger me the whole time about moving on to buy a Mac but I held out.

18 months ago I gave in and bought a MacBook Pro. I am now that smug apple user. My machine runs as fast now as the day I bought it, no anti-malware or AV software has ever been installed on it. Every time I use it I think to myself that I could have bought 3 laptops for what it cost but then I pickup my wife's laptop and cannot believe how slow it is.

We have cookies!!

Thanks

My 2.0 GHz White MacBook is doing just fine alongside my White iPhone 4 and White iPad 2

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollow704 View Post
    IMO all apple devices are overpriced bull... With the exception of the iphone/ipod, I dont see the big deal about apple. Their laptops are $1000 for specs you could find in a pc for $400. #Marketing. They are great at it.
    Build a PC to the MacBook Pro standards and it will cost as an Apple. Besides, you can't buy Apple goodness in a PC. They do not need to market them heavily as the customers seek them out. When the last time you saw a commercial for a Mac computer? They sell themselves.
    You stick to your PC, I'll keep buying Apple products like I always have. I have never owned a PC, never will if I have my way.
    I only use PC's in a work setting when I am forced to.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    My 2.0 GHz White MacBook is doing just fine alongside my White iPhone 4 and White iPad 2
    Same products and same colors as me... Liking your style bud : ).

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

try putting in a SSD. The hard drive is usually the bottle neck of many computers and if it has a good processor there's no reason it should run slow. Personally I never experience slow downs. For my purposes, windows works better for me. I have a lot of software that only runs on windows and pretty much any software I would want runs on windows and usually not on Mac. That's what I need my computer for. If I was only editing movies or browsing Internet, Mac sounds great. Now a MacBook with windows in it, that's tempting but like everyone else has said, I could get a really good ultra book for the same price with better specs.

/waits for Mac lovers to get their pitchforks

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

Just like with android, windows computers need there higher specs to run even decently. I have the first intel iMac, January 2006. 17" 1.8 ghz intel core duo. 1 gig of ram. Runs like a dream on snow leopard. My windows computer with a 2.1 dual core and 3 gigs of ram dosnt even come close. I'm glad I finally was able to get this amazing piece of hardware. Apple costs more because of its superior build quality and customer service. When have you ever gone into the Apple Store and not received free repairs on your devices? Or even a replacement? And it also runs Mac OS X, an unbeatable OS that only Apple hardware offers. Those are the reasons people pay out the *** for these amazing devices.

Thanks

I agree 100%. One thing i've noticed is that all you need is a program to clean the crap (logs, and such) from the computer and it runs amazing. My MBP 15" i7 starts up in 8sec flat sometimes 7sec. Awesome computer. I cannot handle helping my family and friends once i switched to mac. whats a virus???.. yeah someone will say macs get them now.. yes they always did but something called time machine which back ups my computer every hour. Big woop. Not to mention when you pay for the mac your not only paying for the computer your paying for the great service they have (even though its not like it was 5-6years ago).

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by idkanymore View Post
    try putting in a SSD.
    I read one sentence and cant bear to read the rest. Your solution to the gap between Mac and PC performance is to buy an expensive SSD for the runt PC? C'mon man.

You can put a nice engine in a Chevy Cavalier, but wouldn't you rather drive a Corvette?

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm a heavy gamer and we all know macs don't have the power for gaming. NEXT!

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    I'm a heavy gamer and we all know macs don't have the power for gaming. NEXT!
    That's just not right, man. Look at the latest iMacs and 15"+17" MacBook Pros.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by idkanymore View Post
    try putting in a SSD. The hard drive is usually the bottle neck of many computers and if it has a good processor there's no reason it should run slow. Personally I never experience slow downs. For my purposes, windows works better for me. I have a lot of software that only runs on windows and pretty much any software I would want runs on windows and usually not on Mac. That's what I need my computer for. If I was only editing movies or browsing Internet, Mac sounds great. Now a MacBook with windows in it, that's tempting but like everyone else has said, I could get a really good ultra book for the same price with better specs.

/waits for Mac lovers to get their pitchforks
    AFAIK an MacBook will happily run windows.....? Pity the same cant be said for OSX on a PC....