+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Adds Lion Internet Recovery Support to Older Macs

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Adds Lion Internet Recovery Support to Older Macs

Apple released three EFI firmware updates today brining Lion’s Internet Recovery feature to the Mid-2010 iMac, Early 2010 MacBook Pro, and Late 2010 MacBook Air.

Apple introduced the Lion Internet Recovery feature on new MacBook Air and Mac Mini models alongside OS X Lion in July. The Internet Recovery feature adds a small bootable install onto a machine’s firmware that allows the machine to connect to the Internet and download the full Lion OS for installation. This feature is another safety net to the recovery partition OS X Lion installs on every Lion machine’s hard drive. Now the users of older Macs have another fallback option when restoring their system.

Apple has yet to offer support for the current Mac Pro let alone older versions. Not a good indicator of Apple’s future plans for the Mac Pro.

- MacBook Air EFI Firmware Update 2.3 (2.98 MB):
    This update enables Lion Recovery from an Internet connection on MacBook Air (Late 2010) models and addresses an issue where the system could restart if the power button is pressed immediately after waking from deep sleep.
    - iMac EFI Update 1.8 (3.02 MB):
    This update enables Lion Recovery from an Internet connection on iMac (Mid 2010) models.
    - MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.6 (3.18 MB):
    This update enables Lion Recovery from an Internet connection on MacBook Pro (Early 2010) models.
    Source: MacRumors

Thanks

Apple has yet to offer support for the current Mac Pro let alone older versions. Not a good indicator of Apple’s future plans for the Mac Pro.
    Is this just your opinion?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Apple has been slightly slacking on the Pro area.

Glad they are finally bringing it to some 2010 iMacs. Guess I need to double check mine when I get home.