Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report: Apple May Instantly Claim 5% of HDTV Market

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Report: Apple May Instantly Claim 5% of HDTV market

Apple's rumored forthcoming connected HDTV could immediately make the Cupertino, California tech giant a giant in an entirely new industry.

According to the conservative estimates of Ben A. Reitzes of Barclays Capital, an Apple product offering of no more than $1,500 could put the iPhone maker on pace to claim as much as 5% of the HDTV market in the product's first year of availability. Along with that market share would come roughly $17 billion in revenue.

In the big picture, Reitzes tells investors, we have to view Apple's TV product as more than just a snazzy flatscreen with iOS integration.

"Apple's eventual television could be so much more than a TV including gaming, video, communication, content delivery, apps, computing and all the capabilities of the current Apple TV it is not really fair to compare it to products already available on the market," Reitzes proposes.

"It appears more and more likely that the company is actively engaging partners about a potential device and content," he adds. "If Apple were to sell a TV, we continue to believe its margins and pricing could be industry leading given its vertical integration with content. We believe that Siri could be used as a groundbreaking interface for TV,which could be used as a content hub glued together by iOS and iOS devices."

Although the industry feels geared up and poised to welcome the Apple HDTV this summer, Reitzes believes a launch may not actually come until after Apple enters fiscal 2013, which begins this October.

Source: Barron's

Where is the jailbreak for apples new "itv"?!?! We have been waiting for ever!!!!

Funny...the mere existence of the iTV is still just a rumor (albeit a heavily supported one), and we're already projecting its sales!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jastra View Post
    Where is the jailbreak for apples new "itv"?!?! We have been waiting for ever!!!!
    Fingers crossed it doesn't have an A5 processor!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

An Apple HDTV could have a lot of potential!

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    Fingers crossed it doesn't have an A5 processor!
    Why? The A5 has been jailbroken for weeks. Where have you been?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GooseG View Post
    Why? The A5 has been jailbroken for weeks. Where have you been?
    Because the next update patches it. Then another 4 month wait?

Sheezit if they put one out that isnt ridiculously priced i'd get one

My iPhone is a Part of Me RandyTG's Avatar
    Thanks

Even though an iTV will most likely have a lot of cool features and an equal amount of iDevice integration, the TV itself must have the same features and capabilities or better than those already on the market; like screen rate (240Hz or better), resolution (1080p), Dynamic Contrast Ratio, etc. When you get up to the expected price level these TVs will command, just being made by Apple doesn't make it an automatic purchase for me, even though I will be in the market for a TV by the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyTG View Post
    Even though an iTV will most likely have a lot of cool features and an equal amount of iDevice integration, the TV itself must have the same features and capabilities or better than those already on the market; like screen rate (240Hz or better), resolution (1080p), Dynamic Contrast Ratio, etc. When you get up to the expected price level these TVs will command, just being made by Apple doesn't make it an automatic purchase for me, even though I will be in the market for a TV by the end of the year.
    This is Apple you are talking about, no way will you get all that in the initial release, they like to string out features so you buy a new one every year with extra features

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    This is Apple you are talking about, no way will you get all that in the initial release, they like to string out features so you buy a new one every year with extra features
    Meh...not with a TV. People generally don't make TV purchases every year. Cell phones, sure. Maybe even tablets. But TVs are generally purchased for the long haul.

Of course, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Apple changed that.

I wonder if this could fix the gap between the case (Mine actually) of choose a second monitor for a Macbook Pro + TV tuner on board. In my case, living in Argentina (With this ****** import politics and same Government) leaves me few and costly options, like importing a DELL Ultra Flat 32 inches, great one for Graphic Design (My job) and movies, but no tv tuner.

My 2 cents. Tech/Nerd Opinions welcome.
    Last edited by Gustavo Saliola; 02-07-2012 at 04:00 PM.

An apple tv must have more functions than the current apple tv , most internet tv's have more than apple tv , also the name itv is a no go for apple , jobs tried to get the name , but that name is owned in the uk and usa by itv uk , he lost the battle , the name Tv is old ihd or i3d would be a better name if they have a hd or 3d tv Or maybe they will name it plain apple tv

A 42"/$1500+ TV owning 5% of the television market in 1 year with no content and no obvious support for OTA or satellite reception? Who IS this idiot? I wonder how much he wants to lose on that bet? I'll round up funding to match anything he wants to bet. What an IDIOT! Go look at the major TV manufacturers and look at their market shares after 50 YEARS. There must be at LEAST 100 MAJOR TV manufacturers. You gotta be kidding me. And people buy into this hype too. AMAZING!

Quote Originally Posted by LearningMan View Post
    A 42"/$1500+ TV owning 5% of the television market in 1 year with no content and no obvious support for OTA or satellite reception? Who IS this idiot? I wonder how much he wants to lose on that bet? I'll round up funding to match anything he wants to bet. What an IDIOT! Go look at the major TV manufacturers and look at their market shares after 50 YEARS. There must be at LEAST 100 MAJOR TV manufacturers. You gotta be kidding me. And people buy into this hype too. AMAZING!
    LMAO I knew there would be one clown who would doubt this. This isnt some rag tag tech blog making this assertions...its Barclays Capital. Apple would EASILY take 5% of the TV market with an iOS enabled LED 42" 1080p for $1500....it would be a piece of cake. Only a moron would doubt this.

First to the people that are doubting articles etc. It's super annoying when people act like they know the market and have studied it and know everything about the tv market... Or anything like that where it's a 1/10000 chance you actually know what you're talking about

For 1500 you can get a ballin 3d Sony Bravia with a single pane of gorilla glass. It's ******* beautiful. Hook an apple tv up to that and a ps3. you'll have the best damn looking living room in town. Along with the smartest purchase rather than spending 1500 on the same tv with less features and no 3d. Unless iTunes magically gains 3d movie downloads over night. Which i guess is possible with endless piles of cash.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moreno53 View Post
    LMAO I knew there would be one clown who would doubt this. This isnt some rag tag tech blog making this assertions...its Barclays Capital. Apple would EASILY take 5% of the TV market with an iOS enabled LED 42" 1080p for $1500....it would be a piece of cake. Only a moron would doubt this.
    Eventually 5% definitely, instantly doubt it.
    I for one would not want to buy a new unsubsidized TV every year, even subsidized I would be hesitant to do it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RandyTG View Post
    Since Apple is making it. It won't support any other connections than HDMI. One input. It's all for customer's simplicity sake; because your content is suppose to be coming from the iTunes store.

It reminds you of the "if Apple built a flashlight, it'd only shine on things Steve deemed important enough to be lit up."

Apple designs what a customer wants without us knowing it. And they charge a super premium for it. And we all pay the price to have it.

The price point would be the main factor. There are many smart tvs out now. They would just need to hit the right price point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast