Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Canada's Largest Telecoms Reportedly Have Apple HDTVs in Their Labs For Testing

Default Canada's Largest Telecoms Reportedly Have Apple HDTVs in Their Labs For Testing

According to the Globe and Mail Canada's largest telecom providers Rogers Communications and Bell Canada Enterprises are vying for their share of Apple's upcoming HDTV.

Oh, and they reportedly have prototypes in their labs for testing. Jealous? I am.

The article restates the Apple HDTV's rumored features including Siri functionality, voice and motion control, as well as integration with mobile devices, while functioning as a gaming platform. But, Apple's main goal is to find support from a large carrier.

"They're not closed to doing it with one [company] or doing it with two," said one source. "They're looking for a partner. They're looking for someone with wireless and broadband capabilities."

If Rogers and Bell actually have Apple's HDTV in their labs, and Apple is courting telecom providers as actively as the article claims, a 2012 Apple HDTV might not be as lofty a dream as it once seemed.

Source: The Global and Mail

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

so...a tv, with 3G...or did I just read that wrong..

That's sort of what I was thinking. Why would they be talking with those groups.

Thanks

so they just made a rly big iphone that you can watch tv on

Rogers and Bell not only provide mobile phone services and internet but digital and fibre optic cable as well.

And in the states, they'd be partnered with what AT&T ? Verizon ? with their 2Gb "punishment caps" ?

How exactly will this work ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MPS3 View Post
    so they just made a rly big iphone that you can watch tv on
    If you're right than they definitely finally won the screen size battle all the android phone have been having.

Quote Originally Posted by True View Post
    Rogers and Bell not only provide mobile phone services and internet but digital and fibre optic cable as well.
    Still, wifi should be the choice of connectivity for something like this.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by True View Post
    This, as they provide home internet connections too, not just cell phones. ^^^
    In the states it would probably be TimeWarner,AT&T & Comcast?

and... why wouldn't I go out & buy a $1500 42" HDTV when I have larger plasma's and Apple TV2's on them? I use Apple hardware in my daily computing needs because it works so well, but when it comes to TV's, they all do the job well.

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

"They're not closed to doing it with one [company] or doing it with two," said one source. "They're looking for a partner. They're looking for someone with wireless and broadband capabilities."

I call BS on this story, this cut out the worlds largest market the US if they paired with Rogers or someone in Canada as a partner. This isnt the cell phone game where they had no ground to stand in 2007 and needed a partner to get of the ground. Apple has a immense amount of capitol to put up this time. An exclusivity deal or partnership would only dampen the potential of what they could achieve in the TV market. Besides broadband tv companies don't subsidies tvs like cell providers do with cell phones.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

LMAO 3G in a tv.. are you serious? Rogers can't even handle all the iphones they have now.. im stuck with a shared family plan 1gb each.. and almost everything unlimited for $130-$140 a month. please share with me how you expect them to put 3G into it? then tell me how rogers charges $36/monthly for 3mbps DL, 256kbps UL, with a cap of 15gb for home internet... now tell me that is reasonable. 15gb is enough for me to watch 2 netflix movies and 1 HD chat session on skype. Pathetic. Thank you TekSavvy where i pay only 38/months 14mbps DL, 1mbps UL, and 300gb cap and after 12am to 6am is unlimited data because no one really uses the internet in the middle of the night so it don't count towards your bill. This is why i laugh a rogers and bell.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    LMAO 3G in a tv.. are you serious? <snip>
    Where does anyone see 3G mentioned in this article? Broadband connectivity is to be expected obviously. Rogers is an iPhone carrier and they have broadband so it makes sense to test with them. Also, Canada is the perfect large, but not to large, test bed. It will come stateside soon enough. Do you really think Apple would exclude the USA? It may also have to do with licensing rights... maybe it is easier to hammer out a deal than it is in the US so their first. Many different scenarios could play out here.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

I must have missread.. but clearly you must have too since where did i mention apple will exculde the usa? and where did u go off with the broadband stuff? are you even canadian? do you even have rogers? do you know the difference between rogers wireless and rogers?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    I must have missread.. but clearly you must have too since where did i mention apple will exculde the usa? and where did u go off with the broadband stuff? are you even canadian? do you even have rogers? do you know the difference between rogers wireless and rogers?
    Slow your roll my friend, I was not attacking you. Besides your 3G comment I also was making general comments about the thread. CaptainSmooth wondered why it wasn't in the US, hence the USA relate, there was nothing in the article about the US. No, I am not Canadian, but my Canadian friends have adopted me. I am in Canada often as I am less than 100 miles from the GTA. And, yes I do... I know Rogers is the parent company and offers wireless, home phone, TV & high speed internet. Many of my Canadian friends use Rogers or Bell for wireless & internet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    Where does anyone see 3G mentioned in this article? Broadband connectivity is to be expected obviously. Rogers is an iPhone carrier and they have broadband so it makes sense to test with them. Also, Canada is the perfect large, but not to large, test bed. It will come stateside soon enough. Do you really think Apple would exclude the USA? It may also have to do with licensing rights... maybe it is easier to hammer out a deal than it is in the US so their first. Many different scenarios could play out here.

I think you missed my point completely.... FACT, The US is the largest most equitable market in the world right now. So no Apple a American company won't test outside of the states first. Another thing why do you think Canada gets everything after the US especially cell phones? An why do you think the iphone is limited on what it can do in Canada? Heres another one of those FACTS for you. It is because the Canadian version of the FCC called CRTC Canadian Radio and Television Commission, are very very hard to deal with compared to the US 's FCC. Those simple reasons right there tell me it's BS. An further notice, you living a 100 miles from Canada gives you no extra credibility...lol I live about 100 miles from the border as well. An frequent Montreal quite the bit. Doesn't mean I know anything special. What I do know is from my experience with FCC regulations and the market impacts that it has here, and in Canada. So please next time have some substantial facts before trying to discredit my argument with logic that you have Canadian friends and go there, ridiculous.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
    I call BS on this story, this cut out the worlds largest market the US if they paired with Rogers or someone in Canada as a partner. This isnt the cell phone game where they had no ground to stand in 2007 and needed a partner to get of the ground. Apple has a immense amount of capitol to put up this time. An exclusivity deal or partnership would only dampen the potential of what they could achieve in the TV market. Besides broadband tv companies don't subsidies tvs like cell providers do with cell phones.
    Are you serious with this??? LOL Did you seriously think that Apple would ONLY partner with Bell and Rogers and not partner with Cable companies in the states?? LMAO!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moreno53 View Post
    Are you serious with this??? LOL Did you seriously think that Apple would ONLY partner with Bell and Rogers and not partner with Cable companies in the states?? LMAO!!!

Read the story, before you comment. It states very clearly that they want a partnership with someone. I am disputing this. You obviously missed that.....
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
    I think you missed my point completely.... FACT, The US is the largest most equitable market in the world right now. So no Apple a American company won't test outside of the states first. Another thing why do you think Canada gets everything after the US especially cell phones? An why do you think the iphone is limited on what it can do in Canada? Heres another one of those FACTS for you. It is because the Canadian version of the FCC called CRTC Canadian Radio and Television Commission, are very very hard to deal with compared to the US 's FCC. Those simple reasons right there tell me it's BS. An further notice, you living a 100 miles from Canada gives you no extra credibility...lol I live about 100 miles from the border as well. An frequent Montreal quite the bit. Doesn't mean I know anything special. What I do know is from my experience with FCC regulations and the market impacts that it has here, and in Canada. So please next time have some substantial facts before trying to discredit my argument with logic that you have Canadian friends and go there, ridiculous.
    mod edit: do not insult other members I was not addressing you. No testing outside the USA? Did you not read the article? I am guessing you didn't quite understand it so here is a snip...
    "According to the Globe and Mail Canada's largest telecom providers Rogers Communications and Bell Canada Enterprises are vying for their share of Apple's upcoming HDTV.
    Oh, and they reportedly have prototypes in their labs for testing. Jealous? I am."

See where it says they are testing in Canada? Also, the relates I made to Canada was also not made to you, a different poster asked me if I lived in Canada.
    I didn't know you were a professional adviser on the Canadian CRTC... when you are testing one yourself come on back with all your facts Captain.
    Last edited by Simon; 02-07-2012 at 09:00 PM.