+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Foxconn Report Rattles Apple Yet Again

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
It's the saga Apple can't escape. On Monday, headlines once again directed the global spotlight to Foxconn, Apple's manufacturing partner, in response to an eye-opening new CNN report that depicts
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default New Foxconn Report Rattles Apple Yet Again

It's the saga Apple can't escape.

On Monday, headlines once again directed the global spotlight to Foxconn, Apple's manufacturing partner, in response to an eye-opening new CNN report that depicts iDevice factory workers in less than favorable or even safe working conditions.

As MMi and others have reported in recent weeks, Apple CEO Tim Cook is said to be outraged by the wave of similar reports and determined to do something to curb their frequency - in addition, of course, to the underlying activities that prompt such headlines in the first place.

According to the findings of the latest CNN investigation, one woman (Miss Chen) works at least 60 hours per week assembling iPad components in China. Incredibly, however, the woman says she has never actually seen a fully-assembled iPad.

The 18-year-old student from a village outside of the southern megacity of Chongqing is one of more than one million factory workers at a Chinese company that helps manufacture products for Apple Inc.'s lucrative global empire, which raked in a record $46.3 billion in sales last quarter.
    At the factory in which Miss Chen works (her name was changed to protect her identity), Foxconn employs hundreds of thousands who work day or night shifts. CNN, along with the findings of other media organizations, says most workers eat and sleep at company facilities, where Apple, Amazon, and Microsoft electronics are built.

Chen says she's not allowed to talk to any reporter or "criminal liability shall be investigated according to law."

Still, the young woman admits that life inside Foxconn is anything but pleasant. "During my first day of work, an older worker said to me, 'why did you come to Foxconn? Don't ever think about it again and leave right now'," said Chen. "Foxconn employees have a saying, 'they use women as men and men as machines.'"

To read the full report from CNN, click here.

Source: CNN

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

What exactly did you think cheap labor meant? You think they make more than we do and live in condos? Its basically legal slave labor. Apple knows this as do the rest of the companies that use Foxconn. Apple is just trying to cover it up and pretend like they didn't know.

Thanks

I'm not sure how never seeing an assembled iPad, working 60 hours a week, and sleeping at the factory equate to harsh/bad working conditions.

What's Jailbreak? dennisdionisio's Avatar
    Thanks

Poor working condition exists not only in Foxconn but in all factories in China. Only the Chinese government can act on this. Not Apple nor all other big companies who rely on China's cheap labor cost. In the end, investors care only on how to maximize their profits.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBucket101 View Post
    I'm not sure how never seeing an assembled iPad, working 60 hours a week, and sleeping at the factory equate to harsh/bad working conditions.
    I was kinda wondering that too. I also work 60 hour weeks. Where's my CNN article?

I'm not suggesting Foxconn is a great and happy place to work, but if they're going to claim unfavorable working conditions, then they need to at least cite specific examples that aren't commonplace in America.

Thanks

Apple is a company with Amazing products but the Only thing that runs it and many companies is Money. Money & Morals are not in the same league of these companies. The sad part of it as well as this countries so call "Big Money" people is that they will Step on anything including body for your wallet. America do call Big Business is becoming A mob with little feelings....

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBucket101 View Post
    There are people who would be THRILLED to have that opportunity in the USA. I just work my *** off all week and use all the money I make to pay for my apartment that ISN'T free.

Thanks

Dirty Deeler, the fact is they want hire Americans to do that job because of the standards and pay we require here....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by todomz View Post
    Dirty Deeler, the fact is they want hire Americans to do that job because of the standards and pay we require here....
    Not only that, but IF they decided to build plants in America the increased cost of production would simply be passed along to the consumer and everyone would be ticked.

We want big businesses to keep all their jobs stateside, as long as we don't have to pay for it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't get why anyone is surprised by stories like this. Why do you think things are made overseas and not in the US?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Consumer: "That's outrageous! We need to get them to make the product here and give Americans those jobs!"
    Apple: "OK, but it's going to raise the price of the product by 35%"
    Consumer: "It is? Ok, well, that changes things.. Hmm.. never mind. I can't afford that. I have rent to pay."
    Apple: "Thought so."

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Simple fact is this: Apple makes it money off of the cheaper, dehumanizing working conditions in Asia.

Tim Cook can live in denial all he wants, but it is a FACT.

Same is true for Microsoft, Intel, IBM, AMD-ATI, Google, Nvidia and every other US-based Tech company who outsources their product manufacturing.

Unfortunately, the scum running Washington won't change anything because those businesses are huge campaign sponsors too.

Gotta love lobbyists.

Also - I love it when I hear anything about the Bill Gates Foundation... he's donating money to cure cancer/Aids/etc.... Meanwhile, Windows Phones are built in those Chinese factories where cancer risks are much higher than they are here in the USA, due to the relaxed safety mandates.

So much hypocrisy.
    Last edited by Netherscourge; 02-06-2012 at 01:24 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Read the NYT times articles from a couple weeks ago. It never mentions unions or wages as a reason iPads are made in China.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

Here's my two cents: Where is the gun thats being placed to the worker's heads to be forced to work at Foxxconn? ......(crickets chirping)............... Exactly. They all signed up for the job willingly.

*T*
    Thanks

Who cares anyway? If they lived good lives we'd pay more for idevices.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by netherscourge View Post
    simple fact is this: Apple makes it money off of the cheaper, dehumanizing working conditions in asia.

Tim cook can live in denial all he wants, but it is a fact.

Same is true for microsoft, intel, ibm, amd-ati, google, nvidia and every other us-based tech company who outsources their product manufacturing.

Unfortunately, the scum running washington won't change anything because those businesses are huge campaign sponsors too.

Gotta love lobbyists.

Also - i love it when i hear anything about the bill gates foundation... He's donating money to cure cancer/aids/etc.... Meanwhile, windows phones are built in those chinese factories where cancer risks are much higher than they are here in the usa, due to the relaxed safety mandates.

So much hypocrisy.
    +1

spot on!
    8 gig iPhone Edge 2G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using bootneuter and blackra1n.
    8 gig iPhone 3G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using Whited00r CFW
    16 gig iPhone 3GS (new bootrom): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/limera1n.
    16 gig Wifi iPad first day iPad JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig Wifi/3G iPad first day iPad UNLKD/JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig iPhone 4(first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/greenpois0n
    Apps: 157 installed 25 developed.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cellular's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Taranis17 View Post
    Consumer: "That's outrageous! We need to get them to make the product here and give Americans those jobs!"
    Apple: "OK, but it's going to raise the price of the product by 35%"
    Consumer: "It is? Ok, well, that changes things.. Hmm.. never mind. I can't afford that. I have rent to pay."
    Apple: "Thought so."
    Then don't buy the product if you can't pay your rent...common sense?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Look I know over seas labor, particularly in china is bad, but has every one forgotten the current economic issues here? There are people here in the US working three jobs, 60 plus hour! Go look at how Kmart, Walmart, and even target is! Go read the labor issues behind those companies and their are here in the US! There are a lot of folks who make minimum wage working 60 plus hours and living no better then those at Foxconn, right here in the US!
    I'm sorry but all the pointing else where is missing is just a distraction from what's going on here in the US! Selfish or not, I'm more concerned about where I live, then where I don't!
    Last edited by Brian3dee; 02-06-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple is top dog right now so that's who the news is going to write about. That's the way China works and the people that live there know that. Is it the ideal working condition? No. Could it be better? Yes, but all that's up to the Chinese government. Workers get food, money, and shelter from the companies, it's how they do things out there. The news companies just want attention.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    What exactly did you think cheap labor meant? You think they make more than we do and live in condos? Its basically legal slave labor. Apple knows this as do the rest of the companies that use Foxconn. Apple is just trying to cover it up and pretend like they didn't know.
    Apple doesn't care because consumers of their products don't care. I doubt any reader of mmI will stop buying iDevices in support of the Chinese laborers. supposedly there is a petition going around with something like 200,000 signatures of Apple users.

Hopefully light is shed on ALL manufacturers of ALL consumer goods and people in poor countries will stop being exploited...but then again once people start paying higher prices for their goods, they'll turn the blind eye again.