+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Study Claims iOS Apps Crash More Often Than Android Apps

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
if apple is gonna release a software update it needs to be stable they still cant figure out all the problems with the battery its sad
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

if apple is gonna release a software update it needs to be stable they still cant figure out all the problems with the battery its sad

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can vouch for iOS5 being worse than 4.3.3 I should have never upgraded.

Thanks

First, I'd be happy to use the mobile modmyi app if there was a quote option - don't see one here while visiting on mobile safari either so... Anyhow... Oh, and, mobile safari crashed once while reading this (iPad 5.0.1).

TUAW posits that iOS users tax their phones more than other mobile users, causing iOS apps to eat up memory and crash. TUAW points out that these are just app crashes and not iOS crashes either. Killing background processes and freeing up space usually fix this problem.
    This user posits that blaming the users for 'taxing' their phones is a weak-a55 excuse for an OS that doesn't manage it's resources properly. Even when you are not jail broke you can only have one foreground app running at a a time AND still have crashes galore. There's no reason that, if it truly is a resource issue (which I question -- where's the evidence?), why can't iOS unload the least used/oldest app in the list of running apps to free up memory/CPU without crashing things? It's a ridiculous statement, blaming it on the users. I heard the same thing from IT at companies when they didn't want to blame Win98, or WinXP, to blame the users for 'running too many apps'. It's a simple thing to tell people, 'sorry, I can't work on that now: my queue is full'. But not only will people accept requests for work they can't fulfill, most of our operating systems do as well. It's okay to say 'NO', people...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I have an annoying Mount of crashes on my 4s, same amount before and after jail breaking it honestly. But it's not the end of the world and I learn to live with it. I'm more peeved about the static noise and battery problems that make this a crappy release. I got my gf a new iPod touch for Xmas and her and I use most of the same apps and hers crash easily 2-3 times as often as they do for me. I really think its a memory management issue. And I even showed her how to close background apps and she does that a few times a day and still the same. I also didn't realize how ****** the camera or screen was on it. The viewing angle sucks.

-Luke

Thanks

Do apps never crash on iOS 3.1.3?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I think one reason there's more crashing in iOS 5 is that it uses up more memory and therefore leaves less for apps. Of course it's also the new iOS just not working well with some apps.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Mine only crashes when I'm using a tweak from Cydia or Winterboard. When I used android my apps crashed more then I care to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Thats no surprise that IOS is the worst for crashes.

I put 99% of crashes down to Mobile Substrate.
    I've done some tests on the iPad1 and a lot of apps work fine UNTIL MS is installed then they either dont load or crash all the time.
    Thats 1 reason when everything is forcing MS to be installed all it is doing is forcing you to accept the crashes that come with MS which REALLY SUCKS.
    a few things DONT need MS so WHY is it even needed? I think the app devs should have a look at their apps and if MS is not needed then remove the need for it then the iPhone will be a lot more stable.
    I agree with that. I see more crashed when MS is installed.
    Last edited by steve-z17; 02-06-2012 at 08:28 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    First, I'd be happy to use the mobile modmyi app if there was a quote option - don't see one here while visiting on mobile safari either so...
    If you tap on a post in the app it brings up a menu that has the quote option.

Thanks

+1 just opened my modmyi and it crashed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    If you tap on a post in the app it brings up a menu that has the quote option.
    ppptptptpt -- thanks!

It would be nice if this was more obvious: the icon in the top corner gives REFRESH REPLY SUBSCRIBE and MORE options... seeing that there, never occurred to me to tap on the title of the post!

Modmyi app people: either add all the same options to the top-right button, or remove it so I know to do everything in the same place.

Thanks

There are lie, damn lies, and statistics. As an Applied Mathematics major, I can tell you that is as meaningless a chart I have ever seen. It demonstrates NOTHING as it shows no sampling size nor time element. Normalized data? LMFAO!!!! What a worthless POS. "Crittercism?" REALLY??

Thanks
    iPod Touch 4G, iOS 5.0.1, never had a crash yet, but I always kill apps when I'm done using them. No more than 5 running at once, and no lag or crashing ever.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Modmyi.com App crashes with every initial open, always takes two or more attempts to work on iPhone 3GS iOS 5.0. Only other App that crashes for me is Facebook, but it's not that often.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LearningMan View Post
    There are lie, damn lies, and statistics. As an Applied Mathematics major, I can tell you that is as meaningless a chart I have ever seen. It demonstrates NOTHING as it shows no sampling size nor time element. Normalized data? LMFAO!!!! What a worthless POS. "Crittercism?" REALLY??

There is truth in everything.
    The truth in this graph is it shows iOS 5.0.1 crashes more than any other iOS we had, which many people here agrees, stability seem to be not as important as pushing the products out.
    It can mean incompetent managers in Apple, or they just do not care as much. Seem to have forgot about why people choose Apple, best possible user experience with their product.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I've done some tests on the iPad1 and a lot of apps work fine UNTIL MS is installed then they either dont load or crash all the time.
    Thats 1 reason when everything is forcing MS to be installed all it is doing is forcing you to accept the crashes that come with MS which REALLY SUCKS.
    a few things DONT need MS so WHY is it even needed? I think the app devs should have a look at their apps and if MS is not needed then remove the need for it then the iPhone will be a lot more stable.
    Your crashes is because of a jailbroken addon such as MS. The study is talking about devices that aren't jailbroken.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sTrAnGe mOdS's Avatar
    Thanks

Speaking of app crashes.. Does anyone know how to fix apps that show the spash screen for a few seconds and go back to the home screen? Many of my apps randomly started doing this today, and I haven't installed anything on Cydia in a while.. Mail, Safari, Facebook, Photos, and App Store won't work to tell a few.. If anyone has any suggestions, it'd really help me out, I really don't want to restore my phone..

8GB iPod Touch 1G: 1.1.1 > 1.1.2 > 1.2 > 2.0 > 2.0.1 > 2.1 > 2.2 > 2.2.1 > 3.0 > 3.0.1 GM RedSn0wed
    16GB iPhone 3G > Sold $375 > iPhone 4: 4.2.8 > 5.0
    32GB iPad: 3.2 > 3.2.1 > Traded For MacBook > Traded + $500 For MacBook Pro

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Study Claims iOS Apps Crash More Often Than Android Apps-35d4ed.jpg

*T*
    Thanks

I believe it

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Yeah, some of the crashes are annoying. Apple Store devs need to make better stable apps, and Apple needs to add more RAM on their devices like the iPod touch.

Thanks

It seem to me ios 5 is the root of the problem for app crash, i get 1 or 2 crash a week on i4 and almost one a day with 3gs. Onther hand i dont see this at all on ios4.

Definitly RAM management have something to donwith it.