Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 10.7.3 Bug Affecting Some Users After Upgrade, Here's How to Fix

Default 10.7.3 Bug Affecting Some Users After Upgrade, Here's How to Fix

A large number of OS X Lion users are experiencing and odd bug that is causing CUI errors and app crashes after updating to 10.7.3.

Those affected claim applications crash with “CUI” stamped all over the error message. Apple is already investigating the matter and has sent the following email out to a OS X 10.7.3 test group.

We would like to know if you have experienced an issue after updating to 10.7.3 characterized by the following: Applications crash or quit on launch, The term “CUI” and other graphic anomalies appear in dialogs and windows. If you have encountered this issue please submit a bug report. Be sure to include the following with your report: Install logs, system logs, a full System Report. — Apple
    Fixing the problem is apparently a pain. Users who aren’t already affected by the issue can download the combo installer directly from Apple’s website, then run the installer, reboot into 10.7.3 and before doing anything run Disk Utility to fix disk permissions and other disk-related problems.

However, for those already experiencing problems, some have had success booting the affected system in Target Disk Mode by holding down the “T” key during startup. To do this the affected computer will need to be connected to another mac via FireWire or Thunderbolt and run the combo installer on the other Mac against the affected machine’s boot drive.

For some this doesn’t work either, at which point restoring from the most recent Time Machine backup and applying the combo installer would be the easiest solution. However, if that doesn’t work 9to5Mac provides the following instructions:

If all fails, the last resort involves booting into a Lion Recovery partition on a boot volume or USB stick:
    - Boot into the Recovery partition by holding down the Option key at startup.
    - Choose “Disk Utility” from the Menu bar and mount the combo installer image file
    - Choose “Terminal” from the Menu bar and run “installer -pkg /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ 10.7.3\ Update\ Combo/MacOSXUpdCombo10.7.3.pkg -target /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD” (Change the target to reflect the startup volume’s name.) Be patient, as it can take up to 15 minutes or more to apply the combo update.
    - Run “reboot” and you are done.
    If you do not have the combo installer at hand, follow these steps after booting into the Recovery partition and before executing Terminal commands:
    - Select “Browse for help online” to launch the Safari browser
    - Visit Apple - Support - Downloads and download the 10.7.3 combo update [direct link].

- Quit Safari after the combo installer is successfully downloaded.
    - Open Disk Utility from the Menu bar, choose “Open Disk Image” from the File menu and select the combo installer from where you saved it.
    - Quit Disk Utility after the volume is mounted and apply the aforementioned Terminal commands.
    For those affected, this bug blows. If you’ve been run into the CUI bug and have advice for those trying to restore their bricked systems, please leave tips in the comments.

Source: 9to5Mac

A greater majority has been getting this error fixed just by using the combo update.

I always check permissions before the update and then directly after an update.

Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Thanks

That's a weird looking bug.

I just did a Carbon Copy restore from my portable hard drive. I always back up the entire herd drive before any update just in case and this time it paid nicely.

I'm still on Snow Leopard

Thanks

Post GUI Bug
    I have had this bug mainly because I am a themer for both Mac and iOS
    Look at Screen Shots Below.
    -screen-shot-2011-12-08-4.21.42-pm.png-screen-shot-2011-12-08-4.21.26-pm.png-screen-shot-2011-12-08-1.15.25-pm.png-screen-shot-2011-12-08-1.15.15-pm.png

I have fixed it by replacing the ArtFile.bin and the SArtFile.bin back to the original files and fixed!

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Thankfully, I heard about this bug before doing the update. I don't think there is anything mission-critical in the Apple update that would make me want to update now - so I will just wait until they get it all sorted, and then apply the update.

Luckily, I read this before checking my software updates. Looks like I'll wait until Apple gets this problem fixed and pushes out 10.7.4

I actually called apple... They couldnt fix it as it is... They said for me to restore... Downloading osx lion installer.... See how it goes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sergey95 View Post
    I actually called apple... They couldnt fix it as it is... They said for me to restore... Downloading osx lion installer.... See how it goes
    I made a fix for it no need to restore. Download below
    Art File and SArtFile Fix.pkg
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION