+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Focusing on iOS-Powered Fitness Technology

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Before you spend too much time picturing Tim Cook all sweaty in a bedazzled tank looking like Silicon Valley's answer to Richard Simmons, let's offer some clarity to this most
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Apple Focusing on iOS-Powered Fitness Technology

Before you spend too much time picturing Tim Cook all sweaty in a bedazzled tank looking like Silicon Valley's answer to Richard Simmons, let's offer some clarity to this most peculiar headline and underlying story.

According to the latest insight from Apple's patent escapades, Apple may be tinkering with iOS to enable future versions to deliver robust fitness technology capable of facilitating that which Nintendo's Wii did for avid video gamers: it made them more active.

The aforementioned technology was described in a patent filing issued in late 2011. If implemented, iOS-device users may soon gain the ability to enjoy an embellished version of that which we've grown familiar with (via the Nike+ iPod platform). Chief among the enhancements would be a real-time sharing functionality. In other words, you could share workout experiences.

"These treadmills may be located in the same building, or they may be located in different buildings, in different cities, or even in different continents," the patent filing reads. "In this example, media on one media player can be shared between the two treadmills. Also, data from both treadmills can be displayed on each treadmill, thus showing the users their respective standings in the competition."

Simply put, if they wanted to, Tim Cook and Steve Wozniak could "sweat to the oldies" together from opposite coasts in real-time.

Okay, I'm finished putting unwanted images in your head now.

Source: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office

MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Halloween costume this year?

New idea...Biggest losers...team based....across the globe...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,696 Times in 839 Posts

What we need is maybe standard integration with sensor-filled gym equipment. Say, your iPod Nano talks to the treadmill and downloads and displays all the info on the treadmill. Step away from that machine (your data is uploaded back to the cloud, signs you out of the treadmill automatically) and go to the bench press and another small display will show how many reps in this set you'll need to do.

You could get an entire workout completed and tracked without taking your iPod out of your pocket, and it will allow you to stick to a regiment that is calculated to give you the best workout.

I wouldn't have thought twice about this if my mom didn't show me the Weight Watchers app - you can track all the foods you eat and document your food 'points' in order to lose weight - it's really a lifestyle enhancer. Cool stuff!

Thanks

Now every time I see Tim Cook I'll immediately remember that picture.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Thanks

CREEPY pictures Michael!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Why don't they put gps in the nano and open up the full Nike+ app which we see on the iPhone. That with the ant+ technology already in the nano will make it an all in one gps, heart rate and indoor treadmill machine!!