Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Seagate Releases 2.5" Hard Drive Thunderbolt Adapter

Default Seagate Releases 2.5" Hard Drive Thunderbolt Adapter

CES featured a decent amount of Thunderbolt equipped accessories and Lacieís Little Big Disk is finally available, but Seagate's GoFlex Thunderbolt Adapter might be the most accessible.

Seagateís GoFlex portable hard drives feature an interchangeable interface via a number of different adapters (Firewire, eSATA, and USB 3.0). Their new Thunderbolt adapter retails for $99 and promises transfer speeds up to 10Gb/s. However, the interface is a simple 2.5Ē SATA connector which means the GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter can be used with any bare 2.5Ē SATA hard drive. The setup also requires a Thunderbolt cable which will set consumers back an additional $50, adding a total of $150 to their hard drive purchase.

Transfer speeds will never reach Thunderboltís theoretical maximum either, even Lacieís Little Big Disk with multiple SSDís operating in a RAID 0 setup canít reach 10Gb/s. Also, the device only has a single Thunderbolt port meaning it has to be at the end of the chain, but the device is also bus-powered forgoing the need for an external power supply. Seagate has a desktop model on the way with an external power supply and an additional Thunderbolt port as well, but itíll retail for $199 as well.

Thunderbolt is a long way from being ubiquitous in the computer world, but Apple and Intelís support is keeping the I/O alive and well. Hopefully more external Thunderbolt solutions emerge, especially ones less expensive than Lacieís current offerings.

Source: MacRumors

Finally, some damn support, I can't find any reasonably priced thunderbolt external drives anywhere. Thank you Intel for pushing this into their new set of CPUs!

Awesome!!!!!!! Been waiting for this ever since i got my new air!

Thanks

Finally! Looks like I'm dropping $150 as soon as my tax return hits the ol' bank account.
    iPhone 4S iOS 5.0 Non JB
    ~OSx Lion 10.7.2 Hackintosh Pro Dual Boot Win7 @ 4.5GHz
    Rock River AR-15 5.56mm NATO
    ~9mm S&W Sigma
    We carry iPhones and guns here in Texas