Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iFlashDrive - Your iOS and Personal Computer Flash Drive

Default iFlashDrive - Your iOS and Personal Computer Flash Drive

It exists, you probably just haven't found it yet.

We know that people have always been asking, "Is there a way to use a USB flash drive with an iPad?" It would simply make it a more viable tablet computer solution for many more people. Well, the answer is yes. The only prerequisite being that you need to buy a special USB flash drive and they aren't particularly cheap. It requires a 'special' USB flash drive because the iPad isn't made to support traditional USB ports. It's too thin to hold a USB port. Instead, the only solution for transferring data in a tethered fashion is by using the super slim thirty pin connector, which is on every iDevice.

The iFlashDrive supports both Mac and PC and on the other side of the spectrum it supports iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. It's a double-sided flash drive that lets you move data to and from one of your iDevices to another USB-capable device or iDevice. It works with your music, videos, photos, documents, contacts, and more. It requires that you download an application from the App Store to use it, but it's a pretty interesting way of transferring data from your computer to your iDevice. Now sure, there are better ways to transfer data, such as using a sync cable and some third party software on your computer, but what ever are you going to do on someone else's computer that doesn't have that software installed on it, such as in class?

Since iFlashDrive has been dubbed, "world’s only flash drive for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch" by the company HyperDrive, it doesn't come cheap. It comes in three flavors of 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB - costing you $99.95, $149.95, and $199.95 respectively. Apart from the price, there are some more things that you might not like about it such as the fact that because of the design, it eats up so much space. If you plug it into the side of a MacBook Pro like the image above, you will have no room to put anything in your second USB port and no room to put anything in your SD card slot.

Interestingly enough, MacWorld reports that you can use the iFlashDrive App to sync files to and from Dropbox. They also say that HyperDrive plans to add support for Evernote and Box.net to the iFlashDrive App sometime soon as well. This is a device that has a lot of potential, being a rather new device and a new breed of its kind. However, until they actually bring the price down or come up with a better design that doesn't render other ports on the MacBook Pro useless, I probably won't be snagging one. I'm pretty sure that many users would also prefer not to have to download an application to use their flash drive with their iDevice, but we know that because of Apple's strict standards, that might never happen.

You can read more about iFlashDrive or purchase one from their Web site.

What are your thoughts about the iFlashDrive and would you buy one? Share in the comments.

Sources: MacWorld
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-29-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Christ the price is insulting!

Adding a 30pin connector does not justify a 10 fold increase in price.
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 01-29-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Indeed it is. $100 for an 8 gig flash drive. :P

Thanks for the blasphemy.
    Hmm...

You play apple, you pay apple...

What he said.

Plus the design doesn't attract me. So much text covering the flash drive is one way I wouldn't go if I were to design such thing. If you are going to set such price at least come up with a design that matches Apple's.

this might be feasible if the price was around $20-30. Anything more and the price does not justify the product. Honestly, this is a fairly useless "luxury" considering the other resources we have at our disposal.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sTrAnGe mOdS's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah.. An 8gb one for $100 isn't even worth mentioning.. I could get a 16gb regular flash drive for about $40 at Walmart!

8GB iPod Touch 1G: 1.1.1 > 1.1.2 > 1.2 > 2.0 > 2.0.1 > 2.1 > 2.2 > 2.2.1 > 3.0 > 3.0.1 GM RedSn0wed
    16GB iPhone 3G > Sold $375 > iPhone 4: 4.2.8 > 5.0
    32GB iPad: 3.2 > 3.2.1 > Traded For MacBook > Traded + $500 For MacBook Pro

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Whats wrong with the $30 Apple Camera Kit?
    30 pin on one side & USB on the other.
    I use it to connect USB drives & my DSLR camera to my iPad.

-screen-shot-2012-01-29-1.44.50-pm.png

EDIT: I checked out their site and they also sell external drives that require the Apple Camera Kit I use. http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-...p/hdip-000.htm
    Guess I was doing it right all along!
    Last edited by luvmytj; 01-29-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Soooooo slow by synchronizing data that you can go shopping in the meantime.
    Forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post

If it works with USB drives, then its perfect... didn't think it did... will have to look into it... thanks for the info.

Neat... may have to look into one of these........................................ when they go on sale.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    30 pin on one side & USB on the other.

EDIT: I checked out their site and they also sell external drives that require the Apple Camera Kit I use. http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-...p/hdip-000.htm
    Guess I was doing it right all along!
    Exactly! Camera kit + iFile is all that has been necessary for quite a while now.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    Exactly! Camera kit + iFile is all that has been necessary for quite a while now.
    I am wondering why the author for an iDevice tech/news site was unaware of this long available option?

'If you plug it into the side of a MacBook Pro like the image above, you will have no room to put anything in your second USB port' Sounds like the MacBook Pro is badly designed if you can't fit in a fat flash drive

Couldn't justify thoses prices

Thanks

The price is way too high
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

You can buy a whole nother device instead with those prices! If they sell even one I will eat my shoe.

Thanks

Lmao^^ I got myself a 1Tb external hdd for $80
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Quote Originally Posted by celeron View Post
    Lmao^^ I got myself a 1Tb external hdd for $80
    Flash memory is getting pretty cheap. Just because it's made for an apple device doesn't mean you have to make it expensive.

iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Thanks

For another $200 u could have bout u a 64gb iPad 2 (or close to it).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast