+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Made More Money Than...

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple made a lot of money last quarter, $46.33 billion to be exact. But, other than a bunch of zeros on a balance sheet, what does $46,000,000,000 equal? A new
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Made More Money Than...

Apple made a lot of money last quarter, $46.33 billion to be exact. But, other than a bunch of zeros on a balance sheet, what does $46,000,000,000 equal?

A new site, Apple made more money than..., answers that question in a seemingly never-ending string of user submitted facts. The website starts with the simple phrase “Apple made more money than...” at the top of the page and a user submitted responses refresh underneath in a continuous loop of comparisons.

Some highlights include:
    • Enough to buy Adobe 3 times
    • Eight times the GDP of Somolia
    • 23,165 times more than Chuck Norris makes in a year
    • Twice as much as RIM made the whole year
    • A stack of pennies 41,000 miles high.
    • Enough to put 1/10 of high school seniors through college.
    • Cost of 203 Boeiung 787-9 Dreamliners.
    • The value of 72,220 bars of gold.
    • The entire yearly defense budget of the U.K.
    • The monthly salary of 185 million Foxconn workers.

Definitely a few different and enlightening ways to look at the amount of revenue Apple pulled in last quarter. Perhaps the most eye-opening comparison comes when figuring out how much money the typical Foxconn worker makes in a year. Using the numbers provided, the average Foxconn worker makes $250 a month.

Feel free to include you own “Apple made more money than” facts in the comments.

Source: Applemademoremoneythan

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a feeling Chuck isnt going to like being referenced.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Alluziion's Avatar
    Thanks

Just seen this one that stood out...

"More than the entire value of Apple in 2004".

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

How about enough money to almost end hunger and homeless in the US. Who needs all that money anyway?
    Change the world for the better. If I had a company with that much surplus, the deeds I would do...

Thanks

Some of those are pretty hilarious, like three times adobe worth or two times microsoft... Buy the competition, shut them down... And i don't even want to know, how many samsungs can be bought... (trolling, i know, couldn't resist)

Aside from obvious flame about "apple sheep" feeding the budget, which is expected to arise from apple-haters, i wonder - what will bitten apple will do with that pile of money? This is net profit of ~13Bil USD for apple (correct me if i'm wrong). And that much money can do things... They easily could invest it in prototyping, building and manufacturing enough mobile devices, tablets, notebooks and desktops along with the operating system, which would render all competitors flat altogether. Shame it won't happen... Sigh...
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

Thanks

This isn't right, Chuck Norris for sure makes unlimited supplies of money. Check your sources next time MMi!
    Chuck Norris won't be happy when he sees this.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple makes more money than Chuck Norris...because Chuck Norris allows them to.
    El Zurdo

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Chuck Norris doesn't make money......money asks for permission to be had by Chuck Norris.

Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Thanks

Show off.. (apple)

Thanks

Revenue is not same as net income! Get your facts straight.. If you went to college.. Who ever wrote this you un-educated person! You can have revenue of 2 trillion but net income of 1 million.... And thats what count!

Thanks

Default Ever heard of a thing called EXPENSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by PAKIS-RULEZ View Post
    Revenue is not same as net income! Get your facts straight.. If you went to college.. Who ever wrote this you un-educated person! You can have revenue of 2 trillion but net income of 1 million.... And thats what count!
    Exactly... $46 Bil in total SALES... Ever heard of a thing called EXPENSES? Deduct the operating EXPENSES from the total SALES and you get what's left to keep. It's called Net INCOME. That is the amount of money you MADE and get to keep for other things. DUH!

Net INCOME was $13 BILLION. That is how much was left over to keep. That's not shabby, but it's not $46! Sounds like whoever wrote this article needs to take a little business 101.

Thanks

So since they are a big company they avoid taxes by having money over seas no wonder why Cali is broke no one gives back ..

Thanks

Chuck Norris just raised and beat up his dead great grandparents over this. He's definitely not happy with your statistics can't wait to see what he does to you.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrh View Post
    Exactly... $46 Bil in total SALES... Ever heard of a thing called EXPENSES? Deduct the operating EXPENSES from the total SALES and you get what's left to keep. It's called Net INCOME. That is the amount of money you MADE and get to keep for other things. DUH!

Net INCOME was $13 BILLION. That is how much was left over to keep. That's not shabby, but it's not $46! Sounds like whoever wrote this article needs to take a little business 101.
    He never stated that the $46 billion was profit, he simply stated that it's how much the company made, stop attacking the journalist, why has this community gotten so hostile, discouraging, and simply rude, grow up and show respect, MMi should start banning people for insulting and disrespecting others like that, there's a much simpler and much less rude approach to letting people know that their profit was only $13 billion and not $46 billion

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrh View Post

Actually, you don't deduct expenses directly from sales. You deduct the cost of sales from the sales/revenue to get your gross profit then deduct your expenses from that to receive your Operating Profit; then any long-term liabilities that haven't already been deducted as well as tax need to be removed from the Operating Profit to get your Net Profit. Maybe you already knew this but was too busy raging to write it correctly. Idiot.

Also, the OP clearly states that the figure is revenue and not Net Profit.
    Last edited by Alluziion; 01-29-2012 at 04:27 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    And i don't even want to know, how many samsungs can be bought... (trolling, i know, couldn't resist)
    The answer would be zero. Samsung makes more revenue per year over Apple and is the worlds largest tech firm by revenue. They also reported a NET profit of $12.2 Billion for last year.
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 01-29-2012 at 05:51 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iGamers View Post
    He never stated that the $46 billion was profit, he simply stated that it's how much the company made, stop attacking the journalist, why has this community gotten so hostile, discouraging, and simply rude, grow up and show respect, MMi should start banning people for insulting and disrespecting others like that, there's a much simpler and much less rude approach to letting people know that their profit was only $13 billion and not $46 billion
    Couldn't agree more, our journalist deserve more respect than what most give. Phil does a fantastic job and I've liked his articles since day one. Like another poster said he clearly stated
    that it wasn't net profit, but revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    The answer would be zero. Samsung makes more revenue per year over Apple and is the worlds largest tech firm by revenue. They also reported a NET profit of $12.2 Billion for last year.
    This is a great example of a response coming across very polite but correcting a fellow mmi member. I hope the 2 other guys take some notes from you on how they respond to people. Thanks for sharing and being polite.
    Last edited by mmaboi21; 01-29-2012 at 08:15 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iGamers View Post
    I agree with you that there is no reason for people to be rude, and there is a lot of that here. The reason is most likely that there are a lot of "know it alls" here, and they feel that they are superior (even when they are not).

I disagree though on people being banned for it. I believe in freedom of speech, and that people are entitled to their opinions, no matter how annoying and dumb they can be. There is already a lot of censorship on this site, no need for anymore.
    El Zurdo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    I agree with you that there is no reason for people to be rude, and there is a lot of that here. The reason is most likely that there are a lot of "know it alls" here, and they feel that they are superior (even when they are not).

I disagree though on people being banned for it. I believe in freedom of speech, and that people are entitled to their opinions, no matter how annoying and dumb they can be. There is already a lot of censorship on this site, no need for anymore.

Censorship for the better of this site.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Samsung may have an extremely high turnover but their profit-margins are still substantially low. Samsung made $12.2 Billion (Net Profit) for the FULL year of 2011 where as Apple made $13 Billion (Net profit) for a SINGLE quarter... you do the math