+ Reply
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Steve Jobs Previously Asked Google to Stop Poaching Apple Employees

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,738
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 117 Times in 103 Posts

    Default Steve Jobs Previously Asked Google to Stop Poaching Apple Employees


    A court filing was unveiled recently including an email which late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs personally sent to former Google chief Eric Schmidt requesting an end to worker poaching. The email from March of 2007 specifically asked Google to put a stop to its active recruitment of an unnamed Apple engineer and alluded to stop worker poaching in general according to a report from Reuters.

    Jobs wrote that he “would be very pleased if your recruiting department would stop doing this” in his email to Schmidt, who was on Apple’s board of directors at the time. Schmidt quickly turned around and forwarded the correspondence to certain undisclosed members of Google’s staff, including a staffing director who responded that the employee responsible for the recruitment would be “terminated within the hour.” Apparently, the unnamed staffing manager also asked that his apologies be conveyed to Jobs for his actions.

    The suit responsible for bringing this email to the lime light is a civil litigation stemming from a Justice Department probe that investigated the anti-poaching practices of Google, Apple, Adobe Systems, Intel, Intuit Inc., and Pixar. It was revealed that in 2009, Apple and Google reportedly created an unofficial agreement to not poach each other’s workers, resulting in the antitrust investigation. All six of the companies involved settled with the Justice Department in 2010 by agreeing to a five year moratorium on “no solicitation agreements.”

    The court hearing from this week brings civil suit claims from five software engineers who are accusing the companies of colluding to keep employees’ salaries low by eliminating labor competition. The case will continue however t may split into separate class action lawsuits.

    Source: Reuters

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand

  2. #2
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    405
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 49 Times in 31 Posts

    Waaaaaa.... I bet he had no issue poaching from other companies. The more I hear about this guy the bigger **** I think he was.

  3. #3
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Steve Jobs has 99 problems and I don't care about one.

  4. #4
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    245
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    Waaaaaa.... I bet he had no issue poaching from other companies. The more I hear about this guy the bigger **** I think he was.
    Agree!

  5. #5
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    136
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    Waaaaaa.... I bet he had no issue poaching from other companies. The more I hear about this guy the bigger **** I think he was.
    How is he being a **** by protecting his company? It's called doing your job. There is a reason Apple is worth the billions, this is just one of them. Stand up for what's yours, we do it everyday.

  6. #6
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    405
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 49 Times in 31 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CMartins View Post
    How is he being a **** by protecting his company? It's called doing your job. There is a reason Apple is worth the billions, this is just one of them. Stand up for what's yours, we do it everyday.
    What's theirs? I thought slavery was outlawed years ago..... you mean apple actually owns their workers? Wow, news to me.....


    Apple is worth billions because they grossly over charge for their products and idiots like you and I give up our money for those over priced products. Steve, through his own words has been proven a hypocrite so I'd be willing to bet he would of had no issue poaching one of google's employees.

  7. #7
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    over priced products.
    yeah just like the macbook air, there are loads of cheaper, better models.

    non poaching agreements are pretty common in certain industries, it is in mine. There is nothing stopping you from going to the other company, the key word is poaching.

  8. #8
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    136
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    What's theirs? I thought slavery was outlawed years ago..... you mean apple actually owns their workers? Wow, news to me.....
    It was his company therefore he can go ahead and tell others to go recruit somewhere else. It's actually an attempt to try and keep your employers, what's so hard to understand about that? He didn't tell his employers they could not go and quit working for Apple did he? That would be considered something close to slavery...if you wanna put it in that way anyway.

    Don't mix your feeling towards Jobs with simple things as wanting to keep your good players around.

    Apple is worth billions because they grossly over charge for their products and idiots like you and I give up our money for those over priced products.
    Idiot? You are calling me idiot because I bought something from Apple I consider to be superior to other similar products released by other brands? Really? That's interesting.

    Steve, through his own words has been proven a hypocrite so I'd be willing to bet he would of had no issue poaching one of google's employees.
    If you are expecting to succeed being all fair in such competitive industry maybe you should go find a job elsewhere. I never said he wasn't an hypocrite, however I do think he has the right to tell Google to go look elsewhere, it's Google's call to decide whether they should or not, obviously they can do it (not saying otherwise). Not sure why this bothers you so much.

  9. #9
    What's Jailbreak? embw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CMartins View Post
    It's actually an attempt to try and keep your employers, what's so hard to understand about that? He didn't tell his employers they could not go and quit working for Apple did he?
    *employees

  10. #10
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    90
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    Waaaaaa.... I bet he had no issue poaching from other companies. The more I hear about this guy the bigger **** I think he was.
    for sure!!!!!
    Live Wire

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bklyn NY !!
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 62 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    Waaaaaa.... I bet he had no issue poaching from other companies. The more I hear about this guy the bigger **** I think he was.
    +1

    he was a total megalomaniac, who was he to tell another company to stop trying to hire people. did he have ownership over his employees? were they slaves or sign their rights over to him?

    If I own a bakery and you own a bakery and you offered my employees better salary, better benefits and more job security, how the hell would I take you to court over this?!?!?

  12. #12
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    The apple employees are there because they want to be there!!!
    The suit was just to not take each others employees because you don't want a google ex employee giving tips to apple on new features to come and vise versa.

  13. #13
    My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    579
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 63 Times in 45 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieranl89 View Post
    Steve Jobs has 99 problems and I don't care about one.
    He doesn't have any problems anymore. Everybody thinks being in a position that Steve Jobs was is just easy and all fun and games. Granted I'm sure he had a very fulfilling life but being in a big business like Apple means you have to be cut throat. If not he would've (and any of us in that position) found himself in the bottom of the barrel. Apple, Google, Microsoft, Facebook, etc... Hasn't gotten where they have by being nice or morally right.

  14. #14
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    +1

    he was a total megalomaniac, who was he to tell another company to stop trying to hire people. did he have ownership over his employees? were they slaves or sign their rights over to him?

    If I own a bakery and you own a bakery and you offered my employees better salary, better benefits and more job security, how the hell would I take you to court over this?!?!?
    there could be some sort of non-compete claus. If you signed one, and go to work for the competition that violates. Now it would be suing the person not the company. What it comes down to is "sportsmanship" its unsportsman-like to actively recruit another companies employee just to get the low down on the other company. If your company is as big and powerful as you say (Apple) it shouldnt matter if some of your employees leave, because you still have the best product and innovations. I wouldnt have emailed saying please stop, i would just have my employees sign a non compete.

  15. #15
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    To call Apple's price on their products "overpriced" is blatantly ignorant. There's no such thing as overpriced if the products value is worth that to the customer, which in Apple's case it obviously is. Is a Lamborghini overpriced because I can get a Kia for 1/100th of the cost? Should we not buy Rolls Royce because we can get a Suburban for $60,000? I guess so, and we should stop purchasing Apple products because we can get a crappy PC for half the cost. It's not always about the price tag, and it's SAD AS HELL that some of you can't see that.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bklyn NY !!
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 62 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by RexRuger9MM View Post
    there could be some sort of non-compete claus. If you signed one, and go to work for the competition that violates. Now it would be suing the person not the company. What it comes down to is "sportsmanship" its unsportsman-like to actively recruit another companies employee just to get the low down on the other company. If your company is as big and powerful as you say (Apple) it shouldnt matter if some of your employees leave, because you still have the best product and innovations. I wouldn't have emailed saying please stop, i would just have my employees sign a non compete.

    I know all about non-compete clauses, I worked in the wireless industry for 12 years but those clauses were typically for one year after employment, maybe longer for executives. but the clause was that "I" the employee could not seek employment with a competitor. and if I did, then I would get sued, not the company that wanted to hire me.

    maybe things are different now, I left wireless in 2006.

  17. #17
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    163
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    If I found out someone was actively poaching my employees, I'd be mighty pissed off.

  18. #18
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    245
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNegatory View Post
    To call Apple's price on their products "overpriced" is blatantly ignorant. There's no such thing as overpriced if the products value is worth that to the customer, which in Apple's case it obviously is. Is a Lamborghini overpriced because I can get a Kia for 1/100th of the cost? Should we not buy Rolls Royce because we can get a Suburban for $60,000? I guess so, and we should stop purchasing Apple products because we can get a crappy PC for half the cost. It's not always about the price tag, and it's SAD AS HELL that some of you can't see that.
    Uhh dude I don't think Lamborghini was built in china by little Chinese ppl. If I looked on the back of my iPhone and saw made in the USA I'd spend more money on it.. Ferrari is an Italian car and is made in Italy.. But I know cars and phone r totally different but jus sayin

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts