Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bill Gates Opens Up On Steve Jobs, Apple, iBooks In Rare New Interview

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Bill Gates Opens Up On Steve Jobs, Apple, iBooks In Rare New Interview

In a new interview with ABC's Nightline, Microsoft pioneer Bill Gates opens up about his late longtime friend and tech rival Steve Jobs.

"It's very strange to have somebody who's so vibrant and made such a huge presence and been kind of a constant presence -- to have him die," Gates says in a rare interview. "And it's a huge milestone -- very sad not to have his talents ... very sad for his kids, whom I've gotten to know a little bit -- great kids. It makes you feel like: 'Wow, we're getting old,' and yet you look back and think about the great opportunities we had to have a big impact."

Gates admitted to last visiting Steve Jobs at home just weeks before his passing.

"He and I always enjoyed talking," Gates recalls of their last conversation. "He would throw some things out, you know, some stimulating things. We'd talk about the other companies that have come along. We talked about our families and how lucky we'd both been in terms of the women we married. It was great relaxed conversation."

When asked about specific Apple initiatives and revolutionary technologies, Gates carefully danced around any gushing praise for Apple while still acknowledging the progress Apple is facilitating through iBooks and other ambitious educational endeavors.

"The idea of having personalized learning is now enabled by a lot of innovation on the Internet," Gates said. "Having good classes, having the teacher be able to look at where their students stand -- we're going to have technology on our side. It's early days."

To see more of Gates' interview, click here.

Source: Reuters

This interview is not rare, I saw that already yesterday on Yahoo! and it's also on YouTube as well :P
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Gates always seemed like the more humble guy of the two. Never have I heard Gates to ish about Jobs or Apple. The truth is not the same about Jobs speaking about MS and other rivals.

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    This interview is not rare, I saw that already yesterday on Yahoo! and it's also on YouTube as well :P
    I assume "rare" is used to point out how very few interviews we have from Gates himself, especially regarding Steve and Apple, not that it is hard to get a hold of...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Seems well done to me.

I think they mean it's rare to have an interview with gates not rare to find like rocking horse poop!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lewnsy78 View Post
    I think they mean it's rare to have an interview with gates not rare to find like rocking horse poop!!
    Lol

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Billg is an amazing man, to hear such positive things from him about Jobs is a beautiful thing.

While they are vastly different men in their personal lives, we can't deny that both have had an incredibly positive impact on our lives.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lewnsy78 View Post
    i think they mean it's rare to have an interview with gates not rare to find like rocking horse poop!!
    rofl!!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

It's awesome to have such a huge impact on the World, something that will never be forgotten. I love that Gates spends a lot of his time and money helping others, it's a great way to spend millions of dollars.

Also saw bill gates on skynews uk today On the day he gave 95% of his money to his helping the poor , he was also asked about steve jobs and apple and gave the same reply that he found it a great loss , not only to apple but the world in general , would be nice to see apple help the usa out of the problems it has , but i cant see apple donating any huge amounts , as it needs its money for the stupid patent wars ( abdroid are just as bad as apple ) what happened to the old ways , if someone made a better phone , it was simple you made one better , all the patent wars do is show android makers and apple dont have any fresh ideas , i will buy what i want , not what apple or google push with their banning of phones act , banned phones sell more , as for bill gates he does a good job helping the poor in the world and that is not a bad thing

Yes it is very publicly known that Gates donates and runs his own charity. But not everyone that donates cares to show it off to the public. They would rather keep it private because to some giving charity does not equal publicity. We may never know who with money donates and how much and who too. Most of the time when they donate they do it through a lawyer and the place being donated to has to sign a legal document to never mention who donated; if they are even told.

I am in no way saying Gates is flaunting it; what he is doing is beyond great.

Back to topic; it is no surprise Gates would talk about Steve Jobs. They have been business partners in and out almost since the beginning. Microsoft even helped keep Apple floating at one point during the dark period.

They both were great minds of bringing in the PC era.

If you search “Steve Jobs and Bill Gates” on iTunes, you'll find a great video from All Things D showing that the two definitely don't think of eachother as enemies.
    Last edited by thekirbylover; 01-30-2012 at 04:20 AM. Reason: typo