+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Sells Over 4.2 Million Apple TVs

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Sells Over 4.2 Million Apple TVs

Apple previously converted its original Apple TV product into a $99 iOS-based device in September 2010 and since then, the company has managed to sell more than 4.2 million of the set top boxes, with nearly at third of those sales occurring in the last quarter. (1.4 million to be more specific).

Speaking in the company’s quarterly earnings conference call, chief executive Tim Cook responded to a question regarding Apple’s living room strategy involving the TV by saying that its existing product, Apple TV, is “actually doing pretty well.” After noting the sales figures, Cook said “in the scheme of things, if you dollarize it, we still classify it as a hobby.” It should be noted that Cook also mentioned that the company will “continue to add things to it,” alluding updates over the past year that have added app-like features.

He went on to say that he “couldn’t live without it. We continue to pull the strings to see where it takes us.” Analysts such as Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray have been advocating that Apple has been working on an HDTV incorporating the features of Apple TV and other technologies including Siri voice features of the new iPhone 4S for quite some time. Cook’s comments do not appear to suggest that Apple is gearing up to make TV a central part of its plans for 2012, unlike efforts by Google to reanimate its Android-based Google TV product and Microsoft’s focus on TV features of the company’s Xbox 360 game console, which the company’s chief executive Steve Ballmer gave significant mention to in his final keynote at CES. Other competitors such as Samsung have made so called “Smart TVs” central to their marketing strategies.

It was previously mentioned that Jobs was quoted in his biography saying he had “finally cracked” a workable concept for an HDTV interface, with Isaacson writing that Jobs “wanted to do for television sets what he had done for computers, music players, and phones: make them simple and elegant.” It wasn’t specified whether he was referring of plans to sell an Apple-branded TV however. Large HDTVs would seem to be a relatively poor fit for Apple’s already packed retail stores. At the same time, Apple did introduce AirPlay and AirPlay mirroring as key features of the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S last year, indicating that it sees significant potential in Apple TV, at least as a standalone product.

Time will tell what Apple has been planning but as for now, seeing the impressive number of sales for the Apple TV is quite astonishing. Do you happen to own an Apple TV? If so, when did you get yours and what do you think of it? Share your thoughts and opinions below!

Source: Apple

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I own an Apple TV2 (purchased 4/11) and I honestly couldn't live w/o it! it has replaced DVDs for me entirely. Home Sharing and AirPlay are the main features I use almost daily. Not to mention Netflix. Just wish I AirPlay mirror my iPad 1 and iPhone 4. Could also use a few more apps because it seems like they're limiting its functionality on purpose but other than that I'm happy with it!

Thanks

I want one

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I own 3, all around the house, all jailbroken running XBMC. It's the cheapest, smallest and slickest XBMC device I've had. When I'm not in XBMC, I'm using Airplay for music from my iPhone and video mirroring with my iPad 2.

I just wish it would output 1080p! Hopefully in the next update...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hankstonia View Post
    I own an Apple TV2 (purchased 4/11) and I honestly couldn't live w/o it! it has replaced DVDs for me entirely. Home Sharing and AirPlay are the main features I use almost daily. Not to mention Netflix. Just wish I AirPlay mirror my iPad 1 and iPhone 4. Could also use a few more apps because it seems like they're limiting its functionality on purpose but other than that I'm happy with it!
    Jailbreak it (all ATV operating systems can bejailbroken now) and install XBMC. The difference between the factory Apple TV and a jailbroken one with XBMC is like the difference between watching TV with rabbit ears and a cable subscription. Hulu, Pandora, instant watch movies....the list goes on forever.

Thanks

Never really looked into apple tv but I will be married in a few months so it'd be nice to have one. Maybe I can convince her...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hankstonia View Post
    That is why I am staying out of it... "They're limiting its functionality on PURPOSE". Hate that way of working that apple always has . Finally, you can bet that in the next (or following) software update they will make sure your current device does not take it (even if technically there is no reason for that).

Thanks

I got the atv strictly for NBA leaguepass, but it won't steam a live game without it stuttering. Is it the atv app or my Internet? I get about 10mb down.

Thanks

Default Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by charliebee View Post
    I own 3, all around the house, all jailbroken running XBMC. It's the cheapest, smallest and slickest XBMC device I've had. When I'm not in XBMC, I'm using Airplay for music from my iPhone and video mirroring with my iPad 2.

I just wish it would output 1080p! Hopefully in the next update...
    I LOVE my apple TV and only 100-bucks, for sure the best deal for your money!!
    Use it all the time and can't wait for higher output.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by opiak View Post
    I got the atv strictly for NBA leaguepass, but it won't steam a live game without it stuttering. Is it the atv app or my Internet? I get about 10mb down.
    It seems 10 megs should be sufficient. I have a paltry 3 meg internet and while I haven't streamed live TV yet, I've watched full length movies off XBMC with no buffering at all.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by opiak View Post
    If your on wireless, you could be suffering from buffering issues, related to signal attenuation or bandwidth constraints.
    I had a similar issue, so I hardwired my Apple TV into my router. No more buffering issues!

I've had my Apple TV2 since January of 2011! It's running latest firmware, jailbroken, running firecore with XBMC, plus I have playon running off my PC, and Netflix! I canceled my cablevision and have only internet now. I actually have more to watch now then when I had cable, plus my monthly bill is a third of what I was paying!

Only thing I need now is an A5 based Apple TV2 update, 1080p output, with app store and apps! Come on Apple, open this hobby up!

*T*
    Thanks

Ummm... All the current AppleTV's in the store are hooked up to an HDTV. Either way the tvs will be there.

Stupid baby lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian3dee View Post
    If your on wireless, you could be suffering from buffering issues, related to signal attenuation or bandwidth constraints.
    I had a similar issue, so I hardwired my Apple TV into my router. No more buffering issues!

I've had my Apple TV2 since January of 2011! It's running latest firmware, jailbroken, running firecore with XBMC, plus I have playon running off my PC, and Netflix! I canceled my cablevision and have only internet now. I actually have more to watch now then when I had cable, plus my monthly bill is a third of what I was paying!

Only thing I need now is an A5 based Apple TV2 update, 1080p output, with app store and apps! Come on Apple, open this hobby up!
    Thanks! Will hardware it tonight after work, hope that works. I have a feeling it's my cable company because I just cut my cable!? 😁

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

I own one too .

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have an iTv2..I like being able to stream and mirror from my A5s but wish I could mirror my MacBook pro..don't suppose that's possible with a jailbreak? Could you great folk explain some of the things that I could gain by jail breaking it? I'm in Ireland so won't be streaming US stuff. Thanks

Thanks

I love my jail broken atv2. But I do miss icefilms......sadface

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jastra View Post
    I love my jail broken atv2. But I do miss icefilms......sadface
    What's the status on Ice Films? I saw MegaUpload was shut down which was the host for most of the movies there...but quick research (2 minutes tops) made it sound like they were working on a fix.