Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2010 MacBook Pro Joins Mac OS X Lion Internet Recovery With EFI Update

Default 2010 MacBook Pro Joins Mac OS X Lion Internet Recovery With EFI Update

MacBook Pros from mid-2010 get an EFI update.

With the release of Mac OS X Lion, one of the coolest features was being able to restore from a recovery via internet connection. Unfortunately, this was not so for the MacBook Pro 13 inch models from mid-2010. Now, Apple has changed that with an update to EFI that makes it so that those notebooks, like many other Mac OS X Lion-supported computers, can have this internet recovery feature. If you don't know what EFI means, it stands for Extensible Firmware Interface and it controls the low-level hardware actions. It can be thought of as basically the Mac version of BIOS - just to keep things simple and easy to understand.

This is especially good news, because the internet recovery feature from Mac OS X Lion is incredibly handy. If something goes completely wrong with your drive(s) and you need to do a complete reinstall of Mac OS X Lion, then you can do so directly from Apple's online servers through EFI - that is, when you hold down the option key at bootup. You will find all of the drives on your computer there, including the recovery option, which downloads and installs Mac OS X Lion all over again for you.

All of the newer Macs have Mac OS X Lion internet recovery; including the iMac, Mac Mini, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro. Not all Macs have the feature. The Macs that don't have this feature are stuck with using USB flash drives and creating their own hardware-based bootable drives. It can be a real inconvenience in both aspects. If you rely on the internet-based recovery, then you can only do so if you have the internet connection needed. If you rely on the USB flash drive-based recovery, then you have to shell out money for a flash drive and then use your time to set it up. So niether of the two are without their prerequisites, however the internet-based recovery is much more user-friendly and automatic.

If you have a 13 inch MacBook Pro from 2010 (Intel Core 2 Duo), then I recommend that you grab this update if you are running Mac OS X Lion on it. It could get you out of a rough spot in the future. It is only 2.9MB for download and shouldn't take long at all.

Sources: MacRumors

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

Sweet update
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    electronic fuel injection?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aen View Post
    electronic fuel injection?
    haha
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.