+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: G.E. Executive: Apple Products Help Our Recruitment

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default G.E. Executive: Apple Products Help Our Recruitment

GE launched a pilot program last year that allowed its employees to choose between a Mac notebook and a PC desktop. The program wasnít very well known and only 1,000 of their employees ended up choosing a Mac over a PC. This number is expected to rise as more employees become aware of this option and as new employees join GE because they consider the companyís policy to be a contemporary one.

As many continue to believe that Apple faces an uphill battle as it tries to reach the corporate marketplaces, but things seem to be looking up. Itís largest competitor in the marketplace is Microsoft, who has been found entrenched into businesses as it continues to lose consumer appeal. Even the progressive GE has roughly 300,000 computers most of which are still Windows-powered PCs. This is mainly because if itís a Windows Machine, it is most likely running Microsoft Office and ties into Microsoftís server software. Apple has iWork and the Lion Server but the two canít seem to compete with the functionality and support offered by Office and Windows Server 2008.

It may possibly be cost that is the limiting factor for Appleís infiltration into the corporate marketplace. In this tight economy, company might not have the funds to buy Mac hardware and rather opt for an inexpensive PC. If Apple wants to dethrone Microsoft it may have to discount its hardware significantly to entice companies (many of which are frugal) to make the switch.

Although the numbers are small, itís still nice to see businesses giving employees the option of choosing Macs. If enough Macs end up circulating in the corporate world, perhaps the business productivity and server software will develop more rapidly.

For those of you in the corporate world, does your company give you the option to choose and/or use a Mac? Share any thoughts and opinions below!

Source: Wall Street Journal

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

*T*
    Thanks

My company says that if you want a Mac you must: 1) hang from a street lamp while being imprisoned by a straightjacket and handcuffs for 48 hours. 2) Light a trash can on fire in 5 different major cities, and document your efforts with a slideshow of police photographs. 3) Prove the Earth is flat in one sentence.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

If a company is purchasing less than 50 machines, then the Mac environment (with server) is a much more cost-effective choice. I've successfully converted three small businesses myself...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
    If a company is purchasing less than 50 machines, then the Mac environment (with server) is a much more cost-effective choice. I've successfully converted three small businesses myself...
    You could also run Linux behind the scenes (servers) and macs and/or pcs on the front line (personal machines) to make it even more cost efficient.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    My company says that if you want a Mac you must: 1) hang from a street lamp while being imprisoned by a straightjacket and handcuffs for 48 hours. 2) Light a trash can on fire in 5 different major cities, and document your efforts with a slideshow of police photographs. 3) Prove the Earth is flat in one sentence.
    Oh I just made a hackintosh out of one of my work computers...